Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just returned from one week staying in Boulder Ridge and wanted to address the questions about how "run down" it is or is not.

Our 1-br room was fine but reallly not in the greatest shape and definitely in need of updating. Upon arrival on day 1, there was a bug in the tub, the bottom shelf of the fridge was broken and fell out whenever we opened the door, the furniture was very worn out and in need of replacement or refilling stuffing, one of the lightbulbs in the bathroom flickered on and off like a horror film, and the main bedroom bed mattress needed replacing because it had that canyon in the middle where you sort of roll toward it in the center all night long (which was not great on our backs - this was probably the biggest problem of them all). We ended up unscrewing the lightbulb and taking the shelf out of the fridge because we had just deep cleaned for the week (clorox wiped everything immediately upon arrival) and didn't want engineering coming in the room to fix these problems after cleaning. Our daughter slept on the pull out couch bed and had no complaints. I laid on it once when waking her up and, wow, the bars underneath were quite prominent. If you were a light child, it probably is fine but for an adult it would have been very comfortable to sleep on.

All that being said, and I know this probably sounds like silly rationalizing, but I feel like these problems were sort of in theme. That is, it felt like we were going to our imaginary family cabin in the woods, where things are sort of wonky and old but charming. So overall, it was nice and did the job and felt like we were in a rustic cabin retreat - but emphasis on RUSTIC. Really, not worth the price we paid (non-DVC, paid out of pocket, no discounts) and so next time we wil pass on BRV despite loving the theme. I know BRV will get updated because it's clearly very needed but I hope they avoid the more modern asthetic many upgrades are drifting toward. Something can feel both rustic/old school but also be upgraded at the same time.

The public spaces, however, were all very nice. We enjoyed both pools and the splash pad. I didn't care for the loud pop music at the main pool because I feel it breaks theme, but I suspect I'm in the minority on that one. Main lobby furniture and rugs all looked very clean and refreshed. Crowds were absent all week, staff was friendly and accommodating, we had a fine breakfast at whispering canyon and we had a great dinner at geyser point.

Second question- is the full Geyser Point menu available in the lounge/table service area, or only the 4 items on the lounge menu? We love having a relaxing meal in the lounge, but with a shellfish allergy and some picky eaters in the group, that seems like a no-go unless you can order the full menu (alternatively, is it too tacky for some in the group to get takeout from the pool window and eat with us in the lounge?).

So I don't know what the original "full menu" consists of but it's very easy for you to see what is on offer. Every meal we ate last week, be it at a theme park or one of the many hotels we visited, simply had us use the QR code to link to their website menu, which is idential to what is listed on the My Disney Experience app. So if you want to know what they are serving today at Geyser Point, just look on that app and that is very accurate since that literally is the menu they have guests use.

The only exception to this was at Skipper Canteen, where they told us about one "off menu" item they were offering (which, I think is a normal thing they do at that place, offering a "secret" item not on the menu. Used to be shrimp appetizer, but this is no longer available). It was this cheese ball thing which was, omg, amazing. Go there and ask for the cheese ball appetizer - you will not regret it!

Last edited:
WHAT, no icicle lights on the castle? Ugghh😞

When night falls, special projection effects will give a festive look to Cinderella Castle this year, providing a colorful backdrop for our guests’ photos. The appearance of the iconic castle will be transformed with a rotating series of designs including a whimsical Christmas sweater and a regal overlay of red, green and gold ornamentation. This will be in place of the Castle Dream Lights.

WHAT, no icicle lights on the castle? Ugghh😞

When night falls, special projection effects will give a festive look to Cinderella Castle this year, providing a colorful backdrop for our guests’ photos. The appearance of the iconic castle will be transformed with a rotating series of designs including a whimsical Christmas sweater and a regal overlay of red, green and gold ornamentation. This will be in place of the Castle Dream Lights.
Unless the park hours at the MK are extended for December, you will not have much time to view the castle overlay as the park will be closing at 6:00 PM.

A room discount for 1 bedroom villa at Copper Creek just came up for me while searching! Do they have bad views or something? It was the only room category available with the discount. Are there any available on 1st or 2nd floor?

A room discount for 1 bedroom villa at Copper Creek just came up for me while searching! Do they have bad views or something? It was the only room category available with the discount. Are there any available on 1st or 2nd floor?

I’d assume it’s possible someone just canceled their room/trip. 1 br. are beautiful. Definitely a nice pick up.

Last edited:

I just returned from one week staying in Boulder Ridge and wanted to address the questions about how "run down" it is or is not.

Our 1-br room was fine but reallly not in the greatest shape and definitely in need of updating. Upon arrival on day 1, there was a bug in the tub, the bottom shelf of the fridge was broken and fell out whenever we opened the door, the furniture was very worn out and in need of replacement or refilling stuffing, one of the lightbulbs in the bathroom flickered on and off like a horror film, and the main bedroom bed mattress needed replacing because it had that canyon in the middle where you sort of roll toward it in the center all night long (which was not great on our backs - this was probably the biggest problem of them all). We ended up unscrewing the lightbulb and taking the shelf out of the fridge because we had just deep cleaned for the week (clorox wiped everything immediately upon arrival) and didn't want engineering coming in the room to fix these problems after cleaning. Our daughter slept on the pull out couch bed and had no complaints. I laid on it once when waking her up and, wow, the bars underneath were quite prominent. If you were a light child, it probably is fine but for an adult it would have been very comfortable to sleep on.

All that being said, and I know this probably sounds like silly rationalizing, but I feel like these problems were sort of in theme. That is, it felt like we were going to our imaginary family cabin in the woods, where things are sort of wonky and old but charming. So overall, it was nice and did the job and felt like we were in a rustic cabin retreat - but emphasis on RUSTIC. Really, not worth the price we paid (non-DVC, paid out of pocket, no discounts) and so next time we wil pass on BRV despite loving the theme. I know BRV will get updated because it's clearly very needed but I hope they avoid the more modern asthetic many upgrades are drifting toward. Something can feel both rustic/old school but also be upgraded at the same time.

The public spaces, however, were all very nice. We enjoyed both pools and the splash pad. I didn't care for the loud pop music at the main pool because I feel it breaks theme, but I suspect I'm in the minority on that one. Main lobby furniture and rugs all looked very clean and refreshed. Crowds were absent all week, staff was friendly and accommodating, we had a fine breakfast at whispering canyon and we had a great dinner at geyser point.
[/QUOTE]

So much for the daily "maintenance " room checks.
$700 + / night should be better

I’d assume it’s possible someone just canceled their room/trip. 1 br. are beautiful. Definitely a nice pick up.
It has been showing available for a long time now because I have checking for a studio to become available.

It has been showing available for a long time now because I have checking for a studio to become available.

You mentioned it ‘just came up’, so I assumed it was the first room type you found available with a discount. Cost could be a factor. Definitely more $ than a studio. Good luck getting a studio. 👍🏻

You mentioned it ‘just came up’, so I assumed it was the first room type you found available with a discount. Cost could be a factor. Definitely more $ than a studio. Good luck getting a studio. 👍🏻
It just came up like this.

No they have varied views and there are only two (2) on the 1st floor. One woods view and one on the end by Bay lake near the Cascade cabins. Most floors have 5 to 6 one (1) BR units per floor.

Dave

No they have varied views and there are only two (2) on the 1st floor. One woods view and one on the end by Bay lake near the Cascade cabins. Most floors have 5 to 6 one (1) BR units per floor.

Dave
Dave would you have any idea of the locations of the Boulder Creek 2 bedroom units? I am pretty new to the DVC side of Wilderness Lodge though we have enjoyed staying at the hotel a few times. We will be staying in a 2 bedroom unit in November and I'm just hoping none are on the ground floor. Not sure were to check to find the answer to this question.

Dave would you have any idea of the locations of the Boulder Creek 2 bedroom units? I am pretty new to the DVC side of Wilderness Lodge though we have enjoyed staying at the hotel a few times. We will be staying in a 2 bedroom unit in November and I'm just hoping none are on the ground floor. Not sure were to check to find the answer to this question.
OK we need to clarify which DVC you booked: Copper Creek Villa (CCV) or Boulder Ridge Villas (BRV) you blended the two names in your post above.

CCV is the south side of the original WL and BRV is a standalone building just south of the original WL and behind the Bus Stop.

Do you know if you booked a dedicated 2 BR or a 2 BR lock-off (a 1BR + a Studio)?

CCV - There is 1 dedicated 2 BR unit & 1 2 BR lock-off on the 1st floor. Floors 2-7 have a mix of dedicated and lock-off 2 BR units.

BRV -There are no dedicated 2 BR units on the 1st floor but there are 14 2 BR lock-off units. Floors 2-5 have a mix of dedicated and lock-off 2 BR units.

Dave

Can anyone confirm the pool hours? I saw something posted a few pages back but I wasn't sure if they had changed?

Can anyone confirm the pool hours? I saw something posted a few pages back but I wasn't sure if they had changed?

Last week the main pool closed at 9:00 pm and the BRV pool closed at 11:00 pm. I want to say they opened at 9:00 am but I'm not certain on opening. So the BRV quiet pool was quiet until 9:00 pm when everyone came over from the closed main pool.

Last week the main pool closed at 9:00 pm and the BRV pool closed at 11:00 pm. I want to say they opened at 9:00 am but I'm not certain on opening. So the BRV quiet pool was quiet until 9:00 pm when everyone came over from the closed main pool.

thank you!

Do you know if they enforce the 11pm rule? Other resorts don’t kick people out at 11 as long as you are quiet, and that’s the one thing holding me back from booking for next summer! I love my late night swims!

Is there an exit in Copper Creek near the end by the lake ?
The CCV exit door is in the middle of the wing rather than at the end of it. There is an exit that opens into the courtyard area and an exit that opens near the quiet pool. :)

There is an emergency fire exit at the end of the CCV building but the alarm will go off if someone opens the door.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter