Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you! I don't see a point to get upset over anything on here. People are just trying to plan and do the best they can for themselves and their families...all we can do is help :) Getting excited! I did switch my reservation from CBR to WL Courtyard view 10-26 through 11-4. It'll be over my birthday so im looking forward to some Disney magic!!

I have to agree with you and appreciate the fact that you are not upset over the way I responded to your query. I am truly sorry that I didn't phrase my response better. I was hoping to let this whole thing die out but it seems as if my comment came off as terribly rude, which was not my intention at all. It is really hard to read intent on the internet and sometimes a smilie inserted into a comment doesn't do enough to imply that you are just joking around.

Last edited:
I have to agree with you and appreciate the fact that you are not upset over the way I responded to your query. I am truly sorry that I didn't phrase my response better. I was hoping to let this whole thing die out but it seems as if my comment came off as terribly rude, which was not my intention at all. It is really hard to read intent on the internet and sometimes a smilie inserted into a comment doesn't do enough to imply that you are just joking around.

Totally true. Very hard to decipher how to take things over internet/text/you name it. You're fine :) Doesn't bother me. I appreciated your info. Now --- let's let this die and let's get excitedddd for our upcoming vacations.

Page 1 states keyed safe, does it have a key pad, actual key or the credit card swipe to unlock?

We do like to try different resorts (as evidenced by my signature), but I have a feeling I might really fall in love this time!

You can add my dates if you'd like, May 7-12.

:thumbsup2

Kook ... although we wanted to wait until the construction was complete, we're finally heading back to the WL for the first time in nearly 2 years ... for 6 nights (5/27-6/02). It was just too hard to be away for so long and the discount was just too good to pass up. Can't wait to check out the new OFC!

I hope you enjoy the new OFC, @elaw :)

Hi there, will be staying here for the first time Sept. 13-20 this year! We will be standard view so I was wondering when I call to make a room request what should I tell them if I would like a view of the castle and fireworks? I'm fine with being high up. Any help would be appreciated!

Happy first stay, I'll log your dates, @spritna.

I realized that I hadn't given my typical mini trip report from our stay at the WL March 24th to 29th. We had booked two standard view rooms with the annual pass discount, one for us and one for my sister and our friend. I didn't have any trouble getting the AP discount applied to her room, and it saved us 35%, which was nice. It was my sister's first time staying in a deluxe resort, she had only stayed in moderates before, so I was hoping that she would enjoy her experience. (She did, but said she missed the food courts.)

We checked in first and were given room 5088, exactly one floor above the room we had on our January 2015 trip. We had requested a room close to the lobby and got exactly what we wanted. I had our reservations marked as traveling together, and had requested rooms close to each other. They gave us connecting rooms, which was handy. They had room 5089, the last room on the floor. We had the second to last room on the floor. Neither of us had a room above us. We had a view of mostly trees. It was not a very good fireworks view. You could see them through the trees. But it was convenient to the lobby and we used the stairs a lot. And it was a quiet room since no one was above us and there was no reason for anyone to walk past our room. We didn't hear very much noise from the lobby below, either.

IMG_3219_zpsif1o7vgx.jpg

This was the view from right outside our room.

IMG_3223_zpsfjlrq3od.jpg

This is the view slightly to the right. This is the main gathering point for the construction. We saw the crew arrive as early as 7am. the buildings in the forefront include the smokehouse and other maintenance buildings. The cabins are at the back.

IMG_3221_zpsjcuerwfm.jpg

And this was our view to the left. It is the main driveway. We had beautiful weather on this trip, not a drop of rain, and we enjoyed sitting on our balcony.

IMG_3257_zpsinvht21f.jpg

This was our fireworks view, although it looked better in person. As you can see, the trees were in the way.

We had some construction pins waiting for us when we entered our resort room. We thought they looked a little different than the ones we received in January 2016 and when we got home we found out what it was. They shrunk a bit. ;)

IMG_3316_zpstfibgdxe.jpg

I have already posted pictures of the resort and some of the construction. I'll repeat what I said before, Geyser Point is a great addition to the WL. It not only brought back the lake views that had been taken away during construction but it made the views even better. We loved eating there. The only facets of the construction that we found inconvenient were the closed main elevators, since we had a lobby room, and having Roaring Forks closed. Our room was about as far away from Geyser Point as you could get, which, by the way, isn't really far, but it didn't make it inconvenient to grab a drink. We ended up buying some snacks at the Mercantile, instead. Usually we buy one refillable mug on every trip. But this was the first trip we didn't buy one. Besides, I didn't want one of those mugs with the white handles. They looked very odd. ;)

One of the unexpected highlights of our trip was that I received an impromptu tour of the new Old Faithful Club. I was killing time before our dinner ADR and decided to try and get a few more pictures of the pool construction. I ran into one of the cast members who we met during our one and only club level stay, which was in January 2016. We had been unfortunate enough to arrive at the WL just a few days after they closed the old club lounge. When I ran into the CM during this March trip he offered to give me a tour of the new club lounge. It is a beautiful lounge and they left the view of the lobby open, which is nice. :)

All in all, it was one of our best WDW trips ever. The combination of the gorgeous WL and the lovely weather, along with traveling companions that fit our style well, made for a very enjoyable trip. I would love to go back there when the new pool is open. I think it will be lovely. :)

Thank you (belatedly) for posting your TR to the thread, @Wood Nymph. They should have given you a little upgrade after the bad timing of your one and only OFC stay;)

Here is part 2 of my mini trip report - the trip itself. ;)

We got up at 2:45am on Friday, Mar 24th and found a very crowded Midway airport at 5 am in the morning. It was spring break for most of the suburban school districts. And to add to the chaos, we had a high school marching band on our flight. We landed in Orlando at 9:08am and the Magical Express made the Wilderness Lodge its first stop of the route. That was the first time we didn't stop at the Poly and GF first. It was a pleasant change. :) We arrived at the WL around 10:30am but unfortunately, we did not get the usual "Welcome Home" greeting that we have received from a CM on our past trips. That was the first time no one greeted us outside the resort. We did see CM's greeting guests later in the day, and through out our trip, though.

There wasn't a line to check in and a friendly CM greeted us warmly. She answered all our questions and told us approximately where our rooms would be and that we had connecting rooms with my sister. We dropped our stuff off and headed to Disney Springs. We had wanted to go back to Wolfgang Puck express for lunch for several trips now, but this was the first time that it worked out well. We also wanted to get a hot fudge sundae at Ghriradelli's. Both meals were delicious. Just about the time that we decided to head back to the WL we received the text that our room was ready. We didn't have to wait long for the bus back to our resort. The DS bus shares with the Contemporary and sometimes gets very full with people trying to get to and from the MK from DS. This time the bus wasn't too crowded and it was a quick trip back with WL being the first stop. Since we had been awake since 2:24 am we decided to take a nap and explore the resort later.

We had originally intended to visit Geyser Point for a drink and then head to Epcot for food and the concert, but that didn't happen. Once we arrived at Geyser Point we couldn't seem to drag ourselves away. There was a cool breeze off Bay Lake and Geyser Point provides blankets to guests who ask for them. I was cozy and warm and loving the view. We decided to stay at the resort and eat dinner there instead of going to Epcot. Unfortunately, our meal at Whispering Canyon Cafe, a last minute reservation, was not good at all. :( Our food arrived cold and we had to wait for hot food. We wished we had just gone to Territory Lounge for some pulled pork nachos instead. It was the only bad meal of the trip.

We ate breakfast at Geyser Point every morning except once, when we grabbed something at Territory Lounge. My husband got the breakfast burrito at Territory Lounge and said that it was really good. Our morning buses to the parks, Epcot and DHS, went non stop. It was nice not to have to share a bus with another resort in the morning. The afternoon and evening buses stopped at a second resort, but that was fine.

We had dinner at Raglan Road on Sunday moght, a first time for DH and I. We had prime seats, right on the main floor, and we didn't even ask for them. It was a lovely evening. But our bus ride back to the WL was a bit crazy. The bus was full of people trying to get to the MK from the Contemporary, and when we got to the WL the crowd wouldn't let us off. They just stood there. The bus driver called back to ask if anyone was getting aff at the WL and I frantically waved to get his attention. Finally, after a bit a yelling at people to move out of the way, we made it off the bus. One other family made it off behind us. I think we must have paved the way for them. ;)

We also went to another restaurant for the first time, Boma at AKL. We had planned to take a bus to MK and then catch the AKL bus from the depot. That usually works great except that the MK bus didn't arrive for 22 minutes, and then it went to the Settlement stop at FW first. We had a nice bus ride there and back, just the four of us, and the bus driver slowed down so that we see some deer. But it did put us a little later at AKL than we had hoped to be. Dinner was delicious and well worth the trip. And we decided to take a taxi back to WL, which made it even better. :)

I went down to Geyser Point to watch the MK fireworks two nights of the trip. The movie on the beach is now the movie in the grass, but it is right there next to Geyser Point and you can watch both the fireworks and movie at the same time. :) They pipe in the music from Wishes and its not a bad view. There is a much better fireworks view from the hallway windows closest to the north wing elevators, but no music.

We really enjoyed Geyser Point and DH had a delicious bison burger for lunch one day. He didn't like the plum sauce though, and would skip it next time. I think we relaxed with drinks every afternoon and we roasted marshmallows at the campfire twice. It was a very nice trip. :) We plan to return to Geyser Point when we are at the BC in May. We always seem to visit the BC when we stay at WL, and visit WL when we stay at the BC. We love them both. :)

Great Part Two, @Wood Nymph and thank you also for your photos. Where are you booked for your next visit?

After two years, we are so excited to be headed back to WDW!!!
We were so lucky that our TA was able to score two rooms at the Wilderness Lodge for 12/3-12/7!
It will be me, DH, our two little girls (ages 5 & 2) & my parents.

Yippee! I'll get your dates added to the Lodgers' Log, @aristocatz.

Looking forward to our November trip (please add us to the log- 11/29-12/3). I booked it late last year and it hasn't seemed real because it was so far away. We are closing in on 7 months & it is getting REAL! Excited to be heading back to WL. This is our first Disney Christmas-time trip.

You're getting closer, @StephandDick :)

So, you all convice me and we just added a few days to our trip in November, making it a split stay : Nov 7th-11th at Wilderness Lodge and 11th-18th at Bay Lake Tower. First time ever at Deluxe, can't wait!!!

I'll log your dates, @jsebsirois.

We are so excited for our first ever deluxe resort stay! We're heading to Wilderness Lodge from Dec 6 -14 in a standard room. Just DH, DD16 and myself. So excited, especially now that I've read some of the details in this thread.

Congratulations on booking, @pixleyyy!

If you book a cooper creek studio, 2 of your 4 will be sleeping on a pull out sofa, something I never could justify that cost for my kids not getting to sleeping on a bed (call me crazy). So.... We have always opted for Club Level and requested, and always lucky enough to have received bunk beds and have been very happy. If'your kids are of the pre teen / teen age, we have found CL to be an added benefit.

Good luck deciding! :)

Your first-ever adult's-only trip is just around the corner, @CuteAsMinnie! Enjoy your stay at the Poly:beach:

I just switched us from CSR to WL :teeth: First time staying here and checking in on Tues. CSR will have to wait another trip!

Nice move, @Lehuaann.

We added a day to our upcoming trip! We will be staying November 12-November 18 now but no club level anymore.

I'm just ready to be back a the lodge!

I'll add your dates, @Shrfleen.

Hi! We booked a standard room with free dining this morning Sept 1-6.

Congratulations, @PolyAddict, I'll log your dates.

So glad I'm coming to the beautiful Lodge in May 2-12, 2018!!!!! Let the planning begin!!!!!!:yay::banana::banana::banana:

WOOHOO! 2018 will be here before you know it, @goofynut41.

I don't know if anyone else noticed it, but they posted a great article on the DIS about Wilderness Lodge. It's history goes back farther than I knew, and there is a lot of good interesting content there:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-world/the-history-of-disneys-wilderness-lodge-part-one/

I can't wait for part 2...

Thanks for posting the link, @GrandCalifornian. I wonder how many parts it'll have?

Sad to report that my party has decided to move to POR in order to save some money. Please remove us from the list staying Oct. 14-20. I'll stay at WL one day!

Saving money is a good thing and POR is beautiful!

View attachment 236287
I just received this email about our upcoming stay WL next week.
Sometimes I think Disney needs us to keep them informed about what's going on. :sad2:

I love that it closes at 11:59:rolleyes2

Last edited:
Just booked a split stay for Labor Day weekend, so we will be back to WL CL Sept 2-5. Can't wait to see all of the renovations since my last trip in February. We are thinking of getting a cabin for spring break next year.

I can't wait to eat there! So far the reviews are amazing!!! What were your favorites?
My husband had the bison burger for lunch and said it was very good. We enjoyed the edamame appetizer. And breakfast was the typical scrambled eggs and pancakes. Our friend really enjoyed her smoked salmon for breakfast. We didn't eat there too often, other than breakfast, but we did enjoy the view - and the bar. :)

Oh no! I never thought you were rude. I thought it was well said and you answered the question too. I've responded the same way before on another thread and they were unforgiving, pages and pages of snarky comments. You were perfect Sue and kudos to everyone here to know the difference. :flower3:

It'll be over my birthday so im looking forward to some Disney magic!!

Birthday!?! Mine is Oct 30th what's your date? Looks like we'll be celebrating the magic during the same time frame 10/26 - 11/1. We'll be staying at BRV for the first time. We usually stay at WL but we wanted to try something new.pixiedust:

Birthday!?! Mine is Oct 30th what's your date? Looks like we'll be celebrating the magic during the same time frame 10/26 - 11/1. We'll be staying at BRV for the first time. We usually stay at WL but we wanted to try something new.pixiedust:
Ahh that's awesome! Mine is nov 3rd. The idea was to fit in all of my fave things ... loveee Halloween slash fall in the World... then food and wine.. and hoping to catch a glimpse of xmas decor at magic kingdom as well..and the bday... Enjoy your stay!! You'll have to report back and tell us all what you think.

So happy to hear the great geyser point reviews too... cannot wait to drink.. I mean eat AND drink *wink* there soon! Territory lounge sounds nice as well. Cannot wait to try something new. We get in at around 7:45 am at mco... made a breakfast res at kona at the poly for 11am. Hoping to make it in time. Seems like we will based on others comments but you never know...

When I go to a thread I like to see the first page, it's welcoming and full of important information just like this one. The only thing that I find confusing is Post #14 Transportation only because I see the date 2014 and I have to ask myself is this information still accurate. I certainly do not want to offend @WDWKOOK this was a massive undertaking and I seriously doubt I could do half as good, alright one fourth. I'm so grateful to see the passion, the photography and hours of labor poured into these pages, truly. Transportation is a lifeline to the heart of Wilderness Lodge. I can't help but wonder how these times have been impacted as Copper Creek breathes new life. If you could please, please write to the effect this is 2017 Current on the top it would be so helpful to me and others. Thank you.

When I go to a thread I like to see the first page, it's welcoming and full of important information just like this one. The only thing that I find confusing is Post #14 Transportation only because I see the date 2014 and I have to ask myself is this information still accurate. I certainly do not want to offend @WDWKOOK this was a massive undertaking and I seriously doubt I could do half as good, alright one fourth. I'm so grateful to see the passion, the photography and hours of labor poured into these pages, truly. Transportation is a lifeline to the heart of Wilderness Lodge. I can't help but wonder how these times have been impacted as Copper Creek breathes new life. If you could please, please write to the effect this is 2017 Current on the top it would be so helpful to me and others. Thank you.

It would be cool if another DIS member with an upcoming trip could do the same journal. Hint! Hint!

Those times were provided by a DIS member who made that log of all the travel times during their trip in 2014. Those travel times should not change as the boats, etc take the same route. Now what might change as Copper Creek gets up and running is wait times.

I understand what your saying however, this doesn't change anything there is nothing on Post #14 that says "Current 2017" it leaves people like me with questions. It's a simple request.

I understand what your saying however, this doesn't change anything there is nothing on Post #14 that says "Current 2017" it leaves people like me with questions. It's a simple request.

Oh I know. I was putting out the request for anyone reading this thread that has a trip coming up to do the same type of log so that it can be put in post #14 and then can be updated to say 2017. So I was echoing your request.

Just booked a split stay for Labor Day weekend, so we will be back to WL CL Sept 2-5. Can't wait to see all of the renovations since my last trip in February. We are thinking of getting a cabin for spring break next year.

Nice! I'll log your dates, @Regan117. A cabin sounds dreamy.

We just changed this afternoon from AKL pool view to WL CL. We are super excited about it. Can't wait to be there August 3rd!

Very nice move (and, you kept the same architect;))

I am at WL CL now and I never want to leave! I love it! Have a great trip!

Sounds like you're having a magical stay, @KrazeeK120 :)

Any current info on extra happenings around the lodge such as the Lodge Tour that usual is set for W-Sat or Flag family... are these still going on at all? I was hoping for the tour and a 'fingers crossed' on that Flag family thught ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter