• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just back from a CSR (GDT) / WL split over Thanksgiving week. Will post some pics and thoughts once I get organized, but happy to answer any questions in the meantime.

Resort side room renovations are definitely in full swing. Still a bit to go but seems like most rooms are in the fit/finish/fixtures phase...at least with what I could see when snooping through windows. Construction workers seem ok with leaving lights on and curtains open, which makes it easier at night to see what’s going on inside. :magnify:

Had a great stay. Always nice to spend some quality time at the lodge.

Just back from a CSR (GDT) / WL split over Thanksgiving week. Will post some pics and thoughts once I get organized, but happy to answer any questions in the meantime.

Resort side room renovations are definitely in full swing. Still a bit to go but seems like most rooms are in the fit/finish/fixtures phase...at least with what I could see when snooping through windows. Construction workers seem ok with leaving lights on and curtains open, which makes it easier at night and see what’s going on inside. :magnify:

Had a great stay. Always nice to spend some quality time at the lodge.
Looking forward to your report and photos. Will be at Lodge next week.

So I give Disney and WL credit/kudos for ‘trying’ something, although it didn’t seem like it went so well.

As most know, Territory Lounge has yet to reopen. Well, walking back to the room around 8:20pm Thursday night (Thanksgiving night) we pass this sign:

F7418A64-3101-45C3-95EC-8DB7A0626B0A.jpeg

Sure enough - they opened it for a few hours Thursday night only. Unfortunately it was a sad version of a normally fantastic resort lobby bar. All seating was removed, they barely had any alcohol stocked, and it was DEAD.

The CM at the bar was fantastic - but woefully bored. I guess maybe they misjudged holiday demand.

Hopefully they can find a way to reopen for real at some point - with Geyser Point lines being long WL really needs another adult beverage spot open right now (IMO).

A few pics.

FC4C1D6E-B1C4-400D-A37B-D16E0057FDAC.jpeg

4CC9ABC8-A0E6-48A3-A9CB-BC1BFC3AEF78.jpeg

1CBC7B37-78D2-43CC-9BE6-1E30212BBC8B.jpeg

So I give Disney and WL credit/kudos for ‘trying’ something, although it didn’t seem like it went so well.

As most know, Territory Lounge has yet to reopen. Well, sure enough walking back to the room around 8:20pm Thursday night (Thanksgiving night) we pass this sign:

View attachment 540846

Sure enough - they opened it for a few hours Thursday night only. Unfortunately it was a sad version of a normally fantastic resort lobby bar. All seating was removed, they barely had any alcohol stocked, and it was DEAD.

The CM at the bar was fantastic - but woefully bored. I guess maybe they misjudged holiday demand.

Hopefully they can find a way to reopen for real at some point - with Geyser Point lines being long WL really needs another adult beverage spot open right now (IMO).

A few pics.

View attachment 540845

View attachment 540847

View attachment 540848
Thanks for the information. We will be there the week of Christmas (leaving the 24th) and was hoping they would open TL. Looks like if they do it will not be the same. We like having some beverages there especially in the evening so the lack of options after 10 on our recent trips has resulting in bringing a mobile bar to the lobby or pools.

I knew they had been playing HEA on TV nightly for a few months, but didn’t realize they had switched to Minnie’s Wonderful Christmastime Fireworks for the holidays. Nice touch.

Channel 74. 6:30, 8:30, 10:30pm.

View attachment 540906

I’ll admit, I was slightly disappointed when I turned it on and it wasn’t HEA (was looking forward to hearing the music). Just as beautiful, though. 🙂

Shopping

Since this gets asked often, current refrigerated/frozen grocery selection at the Wilderness Lodge Mercantile attached below. Current store hours are 8:30am-10pm.

I can't totally make out the price on the Dasani 8-packs but I think it says $4.49 or $4.69.

Attachments

• IMG_9607.jpeg
    IMG_9607.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9606.jpeg
    IMG_9606.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9608.jpeg
    IMG_9608.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9609.jpeg
    IMG_9609.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9610.jpeg
    IMG_9610.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9611.jpeg
    IMG_9611.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 34
Activities

In addition to the usual assortment of pool deck activities....

IMG_9439.jpeg

IMG_9393.jpeg

Pool table, ping pong, and foosball tables remain in this outside in the Reunion Station building. I "think" you can get equipment from a recreation CM (I know you can at other resorts, just never actually saw anyone here when walking by so not 100% sure).
IMG_9396.jpeg

The only marina activity currently available is the guided fishing tours. We've done this before and did it again on this trip - the 2-hour version, 7am-9am. Love this experience and it's a great way to add in a little something different to a trip (and fits very well these days with a late opening Epcot day).
IMG_9392.jpeg

Sunrise one morning. This is also where they show the nighttime movies.
IMG_9394.jpeg

No nighttime campfires given COVID. Space currently used for tables.
IMG_9401.jpeg

Well I don't think being open for 90 minutes for early evening activities means that Reunion Station is Open.

Sounds like a gap filler for the holiday weeks at the moment.

Dave

Transportation

Knock on wood as of course your mileage will always vary, but we had pretty darn good WL transportation experiences this week.

For MK boats, there were usually two boats in operation - the small resort launch and the larger boat. The small resort launches can barely hold many people given distancing restrictions - like only 4-5 parties. The larger boat thankfully can hold more of a crowd, but still roughly half the normal amount. We had a few times where the line seemed short enough but the smaller resort launch was the next boat to arrive and we didn't make it. Fortunately the bigger boat was usually not far behind. We did opt for the bus one rope drop morning as the boat line looked a little too stout for my liking.

Also fortunately the new MK boat dock on the "left" side of the MK dock area is now open. The WL and FW boats are currently using this new dock. The Poly/GF boats are now using the center dock.

Getting off the boat at MK with the new walk-though scanners is literally just about the best thing that has ever happened to the park arrival experience.

From what I could tell boats started running around an hour prior to park opening.

As for buses...our bus mojo was totally on point... so I'm dreading the bad fortune we'll probably have on our next trip! :-)

The bus station monitors are still not providing estimated times, as has been the case since reopening. The screen swaps every few seconds with the series below:

I like how Disney is still hawking the "driving yourself can be a great option as well!" message. :rolleyes2

Didn't take it this trip, but frequently saw the Fort Wildness bus at the station. I ran most mornings and saw this bus start operating around the 6:45-7'ish timeframe.

Geyser Point

To me, Geyser Point is one of the best dining and beverage locations on property. Granted this is high on the list of inconsequential things in life, but I really dislike that it is also the bar for both pools. BUT, at least it is one of the most beautiful spots at WDW, has great CMs, and awesome food and beverages.

I visited a variety of times for either sit-down dining or walk-up bar service - the day generally didn't have a wait but the evenings had a long wait (they take your name and will text you when ready). The walk-up line for to-go drinks was often longish and slow. This was Thanksgiving week, so of course YMMV. They only staff one bartender behind the bar to make drinks for everyone - both dining guests and pool guests. They need two, even at current numbers.

Side note, they have the best drink ice anywhere on property.

Some sites...

The bison burger here is delicious. This one seemed like more of a machine made patty than my past visits here (which I thought were hand-made), but I may be wrong or just having revisionist history in my head. Regardless, it's a yummy choice.

I'm not usually into cheesy dips, but this stuff (Cheesy Barbeque Brisket) is like crack. I was sitting at the bar for a bit one night and literally everyone else was ordering this - dish after dish went by. So I was a copy cat and ordered too. It is so good.

Cute camp fire brownie dessert.

The walk-up food window ordering window and mug refill station remain closed. I think it's time for Disney to revisit having these closed at the resorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter