DVacationer

Disneyworld Vacationer
I’ve been going to Disneyworld a few times a year for 10 years. I’m a Disneyland local. I’ve stayed at just about every Disney hotel (and a few offsite) and became a DVC member a few years ago. Here are my unfiltered thoughts on Disneyworld resort hotels. Hopefully this helps people planning their vacations in some way that want another persons thoughts:

• Best places to stay in order: 1.Polynesian 2. Grand Floridian 3. Wilderness Lodge. If I stay anywhere else, I feel like I’m missing out. The Magic Kingdom resorts feel..special. You are in the heart of it all.
  • That being said, list continued: 4. Port Orleans Riverside 5. French Quarter 6. Animal Kingdom Lodge 7.Saratoga Springs
  • Saratoga Springs is underrated. It has a Port Orleans feel to its grounds. Beautiful.
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge savannah view rooms are overrated. You can only see the animals in daytime (nighttime is too dark to see any) and there isn’t very many.
  • The Christmas season is the best and most beautiful time to go, the decorations at the resorts are breathtaking (after thanksgiving to the beginning of January)
  • light just hits differently (in a beautiful way) from your balcony when you stay at a Disney hotel (so try to stay in a room with a balcony)
  • staying at ANY Disney hotel is better and a huge part of the experience then staying offsite.
  • pick the Disney hotel based on the theme you love not the location. They all get you to the parks in a short amount of time
  • Make it a point to visit all the hotels mentioned on this post including Fort Wilderness, they are like an extension of the parks and a lot of fun to see.​
3EA1BC29-372E-4CB1-9EF9-2707747BFBDA.jpegFC29FFF1-4926-44F2-952B-73BBFF8CD4C0.jpeg
A61813EF-9D56-47C1-818D-4846551FC18B.jpeg98BC7B94-A8D6-4157-8685-0822FF4CC467.jpeg84B567FB-DF8E-49AF-8C1F-B1D940D6B27D.jpeg511EC4C8-7B71-4D9E-BCDF-A59A0F9176D2.jpegD2B7FBA7-848D-45D4-8B83-D5B27A01D84F.jpeg71769EB5-4C34-4824-9B11-6D3F755A8930.jpeg48F81E49-9FD0-4865-97F8-BA703A9EC715.jpegB8E4DC3F-583C-4286-AC14-A3DA3FD92FA4.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks, I appreciate your tips!

I've never stayed in Saratoga Springs but it's high on my to-do list. I'm also interested in trying the Boardwalk and Contemporary one day. My family has stayed in a variety of value, moderate and deluxe resorts and enjoyed our stay in every single one. I do enjoy staying at either one of the MK or Epcot/DHS resorts because I'm so tired by the end of a park day and it's nice to have a quick trip back. :rotfl:

When we travel with extended family we often rent a house all together off site with a pool. Sure it's different but we have a great time!

I do love the Christmas time visits, the parks and resorts are beautifully decorated. Early December used to be my favorite time to visit but it's not possible to pull my son out of school now that he's a bit older. Looking forward to returning during that time frame in the future once again!

Yes, the deluxe resorts are lovely. I've been going to Disney World for 24 years, have stayed several places*, and do not feel on site is worth the money most of the time. I have rented DVC pts a few times, and stayed at the Swan on free Marriott nights from opening a credit card. I enjoy visiting the Poly, WL and GF for a meal or drink, but just can't bring myself to pay the outrageous room rates. I can afford it but the value is not there for me. Staying off-site works better for me.

*Ft Wilderness cabins, Ft Wilderness campsites, AKL, BC, CSR, POFQ, Boardwalk, OKW, Pop, Swan

Last edited:

I don't think the AKL savanna view rooms are overrated. Having the savanna view was one of my favorite parts of staying at AKL this past May. I loved sitting on the balcony in the mornings with a coffee watching the animals walk by. With that said, if you are a open to close parkgoer and do not do mid day breaks, then yeah you shouldn't really pay extra to get the savanna view room. I also would not stay at AKL if I did not have a savannah view. I would choose somewhere else that was closer to the parks.

In general I've stayed at a mixture of value, moderate and deluxe and found all of those stays enjoyable. In my opinion the best resort + room type I stayed at were the Copper Creek cabins at Wilderness Lodge.

Where you like to stay depends mostly on your budget, which park(s) you plan to spend the most time at and personal preference regarding such things as theming (which tends to be very subjective). I don't find planning for Disney as a "one size fits all" approach. If only going to Epcot (for example), then staying at one of the 3 monorail resorts wouldn't be what I would recommend. Similarly, if you are mostly or only going to MK, then staying at one of the Epcot resorts doesn't seem like the best plan. No one Disney hotel is closest to every park, so that needs to be part of what you consider. Whether or not you have a car is also a factor, some people love Disney transportation, others seem to hate it.

We have stayed both at Disney and other nearby hotels over the years and enjoyed all of them for different reasons. We never viewed staying off-site as diminishing our Disney experience and enjoyed all of the parks regardless of where we stayed. Off-site hotels tend to be far cheaper and part of the premium you pay at Disney is proximity to the parks. When we go to Disney it is mainly to visit the various parks. If we had no plan to go to any of the Disney parks, we would be vacationing somewhere else. Eating off-site from Disney is FAR cheaper and there are many very good restaurants in the area since Orlando is such a big tourist draw.

Over the years, we liked going in the Fall after Labor Day since the weather was cooler and schools are back in session so the parks were less crowded. More recently, it seems like Disney is crowded no matter what time of year it is. We would never go in June/July/August as it is simply too HOT/HUMID to be walking for miles at the parks. While some people's schedule means that is the only time they can go, we would never choose that for our vacation.

Have you checked out the Boardwalk/ Epcot area resorts? I’m surprised there’s no mention of them in your post.

Personally I think location is just as
important as theme. I don’t like wasting time traveling. I prefer the MK or Epcot resorts for that reason.

Have you checked out the Boardwalk/ Epcot area resorts? I’m surprised there’s no mention of them in your post.

Personally I think location is just as
important as theme. I don’t like wasting time traveling. I prefer the MK or Epcot resorts for that reason.
Yes I’ve stayed at the Yacht Club and frequented BW and BC exploring and dining. Even though Epcot is my favorite park, I found myself missing staying by the 7 seas lagoon at an MK resort. That area just feels like magic to me. It has a certain special aura. Its almost like the way people describe Hawaii. There is something to it that makes it feel special when you are there.

You'll find that few agree with theme over location. Very few.
Location, location, location.
It's a saying for a reason.
Yeah I heard that alot. I found that to not be true to in my experience to an extent. I say extent because staying in the Disney bubble accomplishes being in a location that is close which I require. The next step is the theme you would love to come back to from the parks. That shouldn't be sacrificed for getting 5-15 minutes closer to a particular park. Ill give an example that I experienced. I stayed at the Contemporary one time because so many people said they love it. The walk to MK, the balcony views, the convenience of the monorail, etc. I never liked the theming but I gave it a try because of the praises. It was a one and done. Sure, the the walk was quick to MK. So was the monorail to hop on. Even the room was nice. But the theme was so blah, I didnt look forward to leaving the parks and staying there. I gladly wouldve stayed at, say Port Orleans Riverside, even though it would've been a 15 minute bus drive over, to enjoy the absolutely amazing grounds everytime Id leave the parks and walk to my room.

Last edited:
You'll find that few agree with theme over location. Very few.
Location, location, location.
It's a saying for a reason.
100% agree. We always pick the Epcot area hotels. Sometimes we’ll pick a hotel with easier access to DS - Saratoga Springs or French Quarter if we’re doing a take-it-easy trip, but even then we find ourselves wishing we were at the BW. In fact, our last 8 trips were BW area when I could have got a better deal at an alternate area hotel. I never think, “Wow, I wish the theming were better,” but to each their own. It’s good there are loads of options for different considerations.

Last edited:
Yes I’ve stayed at the Yacht Club and frequented BW and BC exploring and dining. Even though Epcot is my favorite park, I found myself missing staying by the 7 seas lagoon at an MK resort. That area just feels like magic to me. It has a certain special aura. Its almost like the way people describe Hawaii. There is something to it that makes it feel special when you are there.

Yeah I heard that alot. I found that to not be true to in my experience to an extent. I say extent because staying in the Disney bubble accomplishes being in a location that is close which I require. The next step is the theme you would love to come back to from the parks. That shouldn't be sacrificed for getting 5-15 minutes closer to a particular park. Ill give an example that I experienced. I stayed at the Contemporary one time because so many people said they love it. The walk to MK, the balcony views, the convenience of the monorail, etc. I never liked the theming but I gave it a try because of the praises. It was a one and done. Sure, the the walk was quick to MK. So was the monorail to hop on. Even the room was nice. But the theme was so blah, I didnt look forward to leaving the parks and staying there. I gladly wouldve stayed at, say Port Orleans Riverside, even though it would've been a 15 minute bus drive over, to enjoy the absolutely amazing grounds everytime Id leave the parks and walk to my room.
Guess I'd trade walking to 2 parks to having to use transportation of any sort to 3+ parks any day, any time.
Plus, you need to include wait time to the 15 bus ride. It may be 5 min, it may be 20 min. It may be even more.
When you are in charge of using your own 2 feet, you know the time. Every time. And there's no wait.
That's where location wins 10 times out of 10.
Add in something like NYE and yeah, I'll make it 20 times out of 20.

I think it depends on HOW you vacation at WDW. Those that go more frequently and don't need to be in the parks super early ie can take the time to relax around the resort more might enjoy a theme that speaks to them. Whereas those that don't go frequently might value accessibility to parks more.

After just a few trips, my wife and I really noticed the value of a good theme and for us that was AKL (and where we bought DVC recently). But if we were just hitting the parks and viewed the resorts as a place to sleep/shower/grab breakfast on the way out, we would look more to the accessibility angle.

I think in the end everyone looks for different things and that's why it's great their are so many offerings so everyone can find what they like that brings them joy.

We have stayed in GF Villas, AK Kidani Villas, Contemporary, Beach Club and Beach Club Villas, Wilderness Lodge and Polynesian and Riviera. We are getting ready to stay in Boardwalk Villas in a week and a half.

For me personally, I really enjoy the theme of Grand Floridian and what I see style wise as an extension the Riviera.

However so far my overall favorite is Beach Club. Love the location as I can be in Epcot in 5 minutes and Hollywood in 15 (boat) I also love the close access to not only the boat but the skyliner. I also really enjoy the style of the rooms.

We weren't able to get Beach Club this time, so we decided on Boardwalk Villas by renting DVC pts. Very curious on seeing how it is and if our room request will go through.

Different strokes for different folks. Your top three are our least favorite DVC after visiting for 15 years. Transportation center is right next door to Poly and it was constantly being crashed even at the pool. Made it a crowded difficult mess for us. Saratoga is very spread out. Epcot resorts have a nightlife and walking distance to HS and Epcot you they are perfect for us. An overlooked location, we secretly found Coronado to be a great place with some excellent dining.

I think it depends on HOW you vacation at WDW. Those that go more frequently and don't need to be in the parks super early ie can take the time to relax around the resort more might enjoy a theme that speaks to them. Whereas those that don't go frequently might value accessibility to parks more.

After just a few trips, my wife and I really noticed the value of a good theme and for us that was AKL (and where we bought DVC recently). But if we were just hitting the parks and viewed the resorts as a place to sleep/shower/grab breakfast on the way out, we would look more to the accessibility angle.
Great point. This is definitely a big part of how you end up viewing the resorts.

100% agree. We always pick the Epcot area hotels. Sometimes we’ll pick a hotel with easier access to DS - Saratoga Springs or French Quarter if we’re doing a take-it-easy trip, but even then we find ourselves wishing we were at the BW. In fact, our last 8 trips were BW area when I could have got a better deal at an alternate area hotel. I never think, “Wow, I wish the theming were better,” but to each their own. It’s good there are loads of options for different considerations.

Would you pick the Swan and Dolphin over, say, the Polynesian then?

Guess I'd trade walking to 2 parks to having to use transportation of any sort to 3+ parks any day, any time.
Plus, you need to include wait time to the 15 bus ride. It may be 5 min, it may be 20 min. It may be even more.
When you are in charge of using your own 2 feet, you know the time. Every time. And there's no wait.
That's where location wins 10 times out of 10.
Add in something like NYE and yeah, I'll make it 20 times out of 20.

Great point. Definitely can see how location for something really busy like NYE would make a huge difference.

Great point. This is definitely a big part of how you end up viewing the resorts.

Would you pick the Swan and Dolphin over, say, the Polynesian then?

Great point. Definitely can see how location for something really busy like NYE would make a huge difference.
Yes, yes I would, and I have. Just my preference, but unless I were traveling with small children, I wouldn’t consider staying at one of the MK area resorts. GF is beautiful, but too stuffy for me; Poly is always so frantic, and Contemporary is so, SO loud (garden wing is just too inconvenient). I wish Contemporary was a little more tranquil because mid-century modern is my jam. WL is gorgeous, and I don’t mind staying there, but I feel so far removed. I feel like I’m not in *my* Disney bubble when not staying in the more relaxed Epcot area, but I totally get why you feel the need to be in *your* Disney bubble. It brings comfort. I’ve been to WDW and stayed on property at least 60 times - but it’s really like over 100 adding in day trips, as I used to live in Orlando. If I’d been smart and bought DVC when my kids were little, I would have held out for BW or BC availability. I won’t even attempt to calculate the funds I would still have in the bank 😬.

Last edited:
I agree with the balcony 10000%. We are DVC as well and love BW and copper creek the best with the Rivera coming in a close 3rd so far…..as we have yet to try the Poly, hopefully soon! GF is beautiful and will stay this Christmas in a 2 bedroom with the family, excited is putting it mildly!

Saratoga is underrated (shhhhhhhh😉) we like the availability at 7 months.

However… we always start our trips with a couple of nights at Pop! We usually stay for 2 weeks and love split stays - yes we know we are crazy!

we enjoy all the resorts for different reasons, Port Orleans Riverside is also a favorite just for the long walks thru the bayou.

I think 4 down is good advice. While I truly love WL and the POLY not a big fan of GF just not what I like after they removed the greeter and classic cars out front. Been going for that long… these days I prefer a resort easily traveled to Disney Sprints and the MK resorts ain’t it. Although I just stayed at WL as I adore the train room or Carolwood Pacific room for the real name and dedication. I like the location of BW for reasons as Disney Sprints and ease of EPCOT and HS Not a fan of the resort itself. Love SSR for being close to Springs and it is a beautiful resort as well.… I could keep going but I guess where to stay is personal. But time if year does matter unfortunately for the past 12 years we are stuck for summer months but that will end in a few years and I can back to much better times of year…. That alone can make or break outlooks of a Disney Vacation.

We really enjoyed POP, the grounds are lovely, rooms are great, the skyliner is such an easy way to get to the parks, and it's affordable. Unless you get a discount, the resorts you have listed are just very expensive for most families, let alone adding tickets... I think it really depends on everyone's budget. I think the list is great, but not affordable for most families.

And spending most of the time in the parks when you pay $$$$ for tickets, sometimes the room/resort is not as important. I think it depends on how often a family travels to Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter