Distance Learning for students at WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus they have many other opportunities to go when kids are out of school where it isn't a problem.

While I agree that unless the person is 100% giving up whatever time they are required to be live and available while they are on "vacation" and especially if there could be connection issues, that is an issue for sure.

But please keep in mind that teachers are among the lowest paid professional workers (I know there are other jobs that pay less) and restricting them to summers and the times when schools are out means they are having to do that travel when rates are at their highest. So it does limit their ability to just go in the summer or on breaks.

(I know because I am a teacher myself. We are given three "Personal Business Days" we can use each year, and I have used those for a trip WHEN IT WAS A RACE WEEKEND where I was usually raising money for a charity, but with everything so strained this year in person-wise for coverage I'm not doing it. The race was cancelled, and I had a trip booked for Feb break anyway. I'm fortunate to be in NYC where in the fall we get Rosh Hashanah off - and if it falls on a Thursday/Friday or a Monday/Tuesday I've gone to WDW then - rates are not peak level at that time. And when Easter is very early and not in conjunction with Passover (happens every few years), our Spring Break (which always coincides with Passover) tends to be later than everyone else's and rates may be a little lower. But if you are stuck with Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break around Easter, and Summer, you're stuck with the higher prices. Presidents' Week is getting up there for peak rates too as more and more schools are out that week. )

Last edited:
While I agree that unless the person is 100% giving up whatever time they are required to be live and available while they are on "vacation" and especially if there could be connection issues, that is an issue for sure.

But please keep in mind that teachers are among the lowest paid workers and restricting them to summers and the times when schools are out means they are having to do that travel when rates are at their highest. So it does limit their ability to just go in the summer or on breaks.

(I know because I am a teacher myself. We are given three "Personal Business Days" we can use each year, and I have used those for a trip WHEN IT WAS A RACE WEEKEND where I was usually raising money for a charity, but with everything so strained this year in person-wise for coverage I'm not doing it. The race was cancelled, and I had a trip booked for Feb break anyway. I'm fortunate to be in NYC where in the fall we get Rosh Hashanah off - and if it falls on a Thursday/Friday or a Monday/Tuesday I've gone to WDW then - rates are not peak level at that time. And when Easter is very early and not in conjunction with Passover (happens every few years), our Spring Break (which always coincides with Passover) tends to be later than everyone else's and rates may be a little lower. But if you are stuck with Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break around Easter, and Summer, you're stuck with the higher prices. Presidents' Week is getting up there for peak rates too as more and more schools are out that week. )

I agree with most of your sentiment except for the whole "lowest paid" people. My BIL is a teacher and he makes more then my computer programmer husband. Those who work with the public are the lowest paid professions like hospitality, food, grocery, etc. These are all jobs that society could not function without and yet they are paid the least, many of who have to work all of the holidays and have little to no paid time off. But I agree that a person should go on vacation when it is best for them.

I agree with most of your sentiment except for the whole "lowest paid" people. My BIL is a teacher and he makes more then my computer programmer husband. Those who work with the public are the lowest paid professions like hospitality, food, grocery, etc. These are all jobs that society could not function without and yet they are paid the least, many of who have to work all of the holidays and have little to no paid time off. But I agree that a person should go on vacation when it is best for them.

Fair enough, I should have said professional (or degreed or something).

OP, from a teacher to a teacher... I would totally go for it, if it’s possible with your district/admin. I went near Thanksgiving (originally scheduled for July which was cancelled) and took 3 personal days which was approved. From someone who rarely takes sick days and personal days I don’t regret a moment! This year of all years has been crazy stressful on so many levels no matter what profession you’re in. When I returned after vacation, I felt so refreshed and rejuvenated. I sooo needed this for my mental health and for my family. Lol and no, I did not administer a poll to see if taxpayers would be ok with my 3 days off to spend time with family and rejuvenate mentally. I am lucky that our community and admin cares about how we are helping children and understand how tasking but rewarding the profession can be. Whether you’re making $5,000 or $150,000 a year and no matter what profession you’re in, I would try to take that time off to rest your mind and spend quality time with family. During many typical evenings and weekends, my family is used to seeing me with my laptop doing schoolwork/lesson planning. Life is too short.

So OP, if you have personal days to use, I would recommend using them instead of working during that break if at all possible. You’ll feel more refreshed and become better at what you do because of having that brief break and focus on family. If you don’t have personal days, I would still try to make it work somehow. Being outside of the usual walls and having park time, even a little, is refreshing.

Maybe where you are, but not where I live. Teachers around here can make anywhere from $60-100,000 a year. Way more than many other professionals make.

Same with where I live. At $60,000 a year, which is what the average is here, if you divide that by 52 weeks/40 hours a week, that is $28 and hour. And nobody works that many hours in a year. I know all districts are different but the national average is around $58,000/year. That is not going to make anyone rich, but it certainly is not poor like food service workers that make minimum wage. My state's minimum wage is $9/hour. That is just under $19,000 a year and you are lucky if you get maybe a week's paid vacation. To be working a full time job and making under $20,000 a year is criminal.

My kids did 2 days of synchronous learning, mid-December at CSR with no issues. Internet for us was fine, but the resort appeared to be at very low capacity, so that may have improved the internet experience.

Same with where I live. At $60,000 a year, which is what the average is here, if you divide that by 52 weeks/40 hours a week, that is $28 and hour. And nobody works that many hours in a year. I know all districts are different but the national average is around $58,000/year. That is not going to make anyone rich, but it certainly is not poor like food service workers that make minimum wage. My state's minimum wage is $9/hour. That is just under $19,000 a year and you are lucky if you get maybe a week's paid vacation. To be working a full time job and making under $20,000 a year is criminal.

Food service workers are not professionals - as in, they do not have a degree in food services, do they? Teachers have a bachelor's degree at minimum (so think of paying 4 years of college) and then they have license costs, and in some states expensive tests they have to pass, and then go on to get their masters (2 more years of tuition) as well as continued professional development. Most teachers I know are still paying off student loans at least a decade into teaching.

I agree that minimum wage jobs are not enough to live off of. I think that in this society we see them as jobs for teens or as a starting point for a young adult. Sadly, that's not what happens in this economy though - there's a huge gap, and undereducated adults don't have the opportunity to find a better paying job in manufacturing, etc. We've sent those jobs overseas, and we've made higher education too expensive for a lot of people. If I say more, it will get political, so I'll leave it at this.

OP - have you figured out how to teach while on vacation? Has your school district approved of you leaving the area?

Food service workers are not professionals - as in, they do not have a degree in food services, do they? Teachers have a bachelor's degree at minimum (so think of paying 4 years of college) and then they have license costs, and in some states expensive tests they have to pass, and then go on to get their masters (2 more years of tuition) as well as continued professional development. Most teachers I know are still paying off student loans at least a decade into teaching.

I agree that minimum wage jobs are not enough to live off of. I think that in this society we see them as jobs for teens or as a starting point for a young adult. Sadly, that's not what happens in this economy though - there's a huge gap, and undereducated adults don't have the opportunity to find a better paying job in manufacturing, etc. We've sent those jobs overseas, and we've made higher education too expensive for a lot of people. If I say more, it will get political, so I'll leave it at this.

OP - have you figured out how to teach while on vacation? Has your school district approved of you leaving the area?

I know what you are saying. I would like to add that the mentality that these jobs are for teens and "young adults" is a completely a wrong mindset. I think people choose to believe that to "justify" the low pay. Let's take a grocery store for example. First thing, who do you think works during the day while all of these kids are in school? Second, there are things that young people can do but there are many positions that you need to be, not only over 18, but skilled and experienced at. Butchers, cooks, and bakers are all things that need to have older, skilled labor for. All of these jobs, including the manufacturing, warehouse, factory, meat packing, etc jobs all used to be legitimate, well paying jobs that you can easily raise a family on. Now all of a sudden they are not "worthy" of paying people a decent amount? As a society, we need to stop excusing and "justifying" the low pay of these jobs just because you don't get a 4 year degree to do them. That is also a scam to get more money for the colleges. My husband is a programmer which is a college degree job, except that it really isn't. His company needed programmers and they paid him to take their class to learn how. So 20 hours he worked, and 20 hours he had class. And he learned it on the job and has been doing it for over 20 years. That is why you see want adds with a degree or experience. Experience is always better then a degree. It's a messed up system that people keep trying to defend for some unknown reason.

If you can make it work I say go for it. Sounds like everyone will need a hotspot on their phones. Have a great vacation.

How much do professionals make by you? My 22 and 24 year olds make more than $60,000 a year just starting out, teachers starting salaries are less than that.

What do your 22 & 24 year olds do? I don’t know what professions you refer to or what every profession makes. I work for a large unionized health system. I can tell you RNs, Physical & Respiratory Therapists make less than that starting out & sometimes less than teachers. Working full time, including off shifts, weekends & holidays. When was the last time a teacher worked Christmas or Thanksgiving??

I have a relative with an MBA who is a financial analyst in private industry that makes what your kids make. She is in her 30s with several years of experience. Teacher salaries here start at over 50K & go up quickly. Many make well over 100K. Teacher salaries are public in NY state so anyone can check them out. In my town the majority make over 80K with the highest paid over $110,000.

Again, my point is, teachers everywhere are not poorly paid. I don’t care what profession it is, or what area of the country it is. Anyone making $80 - 100,000 is not poorly paid.

Last edited:
What do your 22 & 24 year olds do? I don’t know what professions you refer to or what every profession makes. I work for a large unionized health system. I can tell you RNs, Physical & Respiratory Therapists make less than that starting out & sometimes less than teachers. Working full time, including off shifts, weekends & holidays. When was the last time a teacher worked Christmas or Thanksgiving??

I have a relative with an MBA who is a financial analyst in private industry that makes what your kids make. She is in her 30s with several years of experience. Teacher salaries here start at over 50K & go up quickly. Many make well over 100K. Teacher salaries are public in NY state so anyone can check them out. In my town the majority make over 80K with the highest paid over $110,000.

Again, my point is, teachers everywhere are not poorly paid. I don’t care what profession it is, or what area of the country it is. Anyone making $80 - 100,000 is not poorly paid.
This is just not true for every state. When I left teaching after five years I was making $35,000/year. And that was in one of the higher paid districts in my state. I’m sure they are making slightly more now, as I’ve been out for several years. But I do know there is not a pay scale in any district around me that goes to $100,000. This is definitely regional.

Also, can we just quit with the “teachers don’t work holidays and get so many breaks” thing? It’s so tiresome. Teachers work so many unpaid hours on weekends and during the summer. They earn every penny they make and should get more. Lots of other professions have every holiday off and generous vacation allotments and no one says anything.

Last edited:

My daughter is an accountant, my son majored in finance and I believe is working as a valuations analyst. Teachers here start around $45,000. Yes, we have teachers here making $80,000 - $100,000, but after decades. One thing about teaching is you really need to be in it for the long haul, staying in the same state, even district.

This is just not true for every state. When I left teaching after five years I was making $35,000/year. And that was in one of the higher paid districts in my state. I’m sure they are making slightly more now, as I’ve been out for several years. But I do know there is not a pay scale in any district around me that goes to $100,000. This is definitely regional.

Also, can we just quit with the “teachers don’t work holidays and get so many breaks” thing? It’s so tiresome. Teachers work so many unpaid hours on weekends and during the summer. They earn every penny they make and should get more. Lots of other professions have every holiday off and generous vacation allotments and no one says anything.
Yet they chose to be teachers. People get tired of hearing them complain about money and time off when they signed up for the job they have. I work in public service as well. Never thought for a minute about the money buy thats all we hear teachers complain about. Be grateful you have jobs and money coming in.

Yet they chose to be teachers. People get tired of hearing them complain about money and time off when they signed up for the job they have. I work in public service as well. Never thought for a minute about the money buy thats all we hear teachers complain about. Be grateful you have jobs and money coming in.
The teachers I know don’t complain about money or time off, just mostly about the parents, especially these days having to hear “why are teachers getting paid when I’m essentially home schooling.” Teacher know the pay and the hours, no one goes into teaching for the salary. Trust me, my daughter didn’t choose to become a CPA because she loves accounting, she chose it for the money and a career she can do anywhere. Teachers definitely have more passion.

Teaching is a contract job. We are not paid for 12 months of work. We are contracted for 9 months out of the year, and that pay is stretched over 12 months. It’s easy to look at the summer and holidays as paid leave, but it isn’t. We don’t get paid for that time. It’s unpaid time off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter