• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dive or Snorkel ? Cozumel & Grand Cayman (Disney Magic Western Caribbean)

wehrengrizz

DIS Veteran
February/Magic/Western (Cozumel/Grand Cayman)
Family of 7 (husband, me, kids 17,13,11,9,7)
We have 2 experienced divers (husband, 17yr old), and everyone has been snorkeling and LOVED it. Looking for advice on which place would be better for the 2 divers to actually dive, and which would be better for the family to snorkel. Divers only want to split off one day, not both, and we don't need to snorkel both days. Thanks for any thoughts!

*A* Dive Cozumel, Snorkel Grand Cayman
OR
*B* Dive Grand Cayman, Snorkel Cozumel

in Cayman you can do a 'mixed' DIY at either EDEN ROCK or SUNSET HOUSE both are walking distance from the tender landing

both places have dive shops right at the water's edge and easy shore entry. The dive profile max's out around 45 feet and snorkelers can easy stay above the dives and follow them about. I prefer Sunset House ....Eden is closer and for this reason will typically have more folks. Not unusual to see ZERO folks from cruise ships at Sunset House even tho it is just a lil further down the frontage road. AND after your dive, Sunset has My Bar one of the most popular 'Tiki Bar / restaurant' on the island (very popular with the locals)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...-George_Town_Grand_Cayman_Cayman_Islands.html
https://www.sunsethouse.com/
https://edenrockdivingcenter.com/

both places are super easy to navigate and virtually impossible to get lost but guides can be arranged if desired .....

both places are super easy to navigate and virtually impossible to get lost but guides can be arranged if desired .....
LOL!
Sunset has My Bar one of the most popular 'Tiki Bar / restaurant' on the island (very popular with the locals)
This sounds amazing. If it was just my husband and me, both of these things sound like they'd be in our plans!

thank you :)

We just did a Western Fantasy in August…husband and son (15), sister and nephew (14) did both the diving excursions through Disney on Cozumel and Cayman.
For the Cozumel excursion, my sister was required to pay for a private dive master for my nephew because he was under 15, cost $65. They actually really liked this as he pointed out a lot of creatures they said they might have missed, like a private tour…the Cozumel dive was also a drift dive. The boat they used was smaller than Cayman, and it also broke down lol, so had to wait to get another, but they said it was fine. They also had fruit and water for everyone.
For the Cayman dive, it was a bigger, nicer boat, son also noted it was easier for him to understand them with instructions (accents), and felt more organized.… More fish to see, but not “unusual“ creatures like in Cozumel, again, probably because they didn’t have a private dive master to help search for the creatures like in Cozumel.
Just now asked if they could do only one of those tomorrow, which they would pick. Husband said Cozumel, son said Cayman, sister said Cayman, nephew not here to ask :)
Hope that helps…

We just did a Western Fantasy in August…husband and son (15), sister and nephew (14) did both the diving excursions through Disney on Cozumel and Cayman.
For the Cozumel excursion, my sister was required to pay for a private dive master for my nephew because he was under 15, cost $65. They actually really liked this as he pointed out a lot of creatures they said they might have missed, like a private tour…the Cozumel dive was also a drift dive. The boat they used was smaller than Cayman, and it also broke down lol, so had to wait to get another, but they said it was fine. They also had fruit and water for everyone.
For the Cayman dive, it was a bigger, nicer boat, son also noted it was easier for him to understand them with instructions (accents), and felt more organized.… More fish to see, but not “unusual“ creatures like in Cozumel, again, probably because they didn’t have a private dive master to help search for the creatures like in Cozumel.
Just now asked if they could do only one of those tomorrow, which they would pick. Husband said Cozumel, son said Cayman, sister said Cayman, nephew not here to ask :)
Hope that helps…
Awesome! thank you so much, I'll be able to show this to my husband and son so they can make informed decisions! It makes me sad that both stops are VERY well-known for fantastic dives, but I know that my husband won't want to be gone from everyone for 2 days, when we have 4 kids who won't be diving, but all love snorkeling. But I also cannot let the chance for him and our oldest to get a dive in when we're at two stellar locations!

which brings me back to places where you can do BOTH ... together ...... unless you are uncomfortable herding the pack . . .

p.s. a shore dive in Cayman has no overhead cost ..... rent equipment if needed and jump in .......

case closed this unit .....

which brings me back to places where you can do BOTH ... together ...... unless you are uncomfortable herding the pack . . .

p.s. a shore dive in Cayman has no overhead cost ..... rent equipment if needed and jump in .......

case closed this unit .....
I am thankful for the wealth of knowledge you've given!! I did not think about shore dives for them. Genius!

And our youngest 2 were excellent on their first snorkeling adventure but we do have to divide and conquer because of skill levels.

Have a great week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter