• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DIY Wedding Favor Ideas or Welcome Bag Gifts: Jan. 17 Table Decorations

DIY Favor #18: Door Hanger

This is a great little door hanger that you can make and leave a little welcome gift for your guests.

DoorHangerGift.jpg

DoorHangerGift2.jpg

DIY #19: Plain Door Hanger

Here is another style of door hanger that is a great addition to your welcome gift for guests staying at Disney Resorts or hotels!

DoorHangerBlog2.jpg

DoorHangerBlog.jpg

These are all awesome!

The Cricut Bags, Tags and Boxes cart (or something like that) doesn't require the Design Studio or gypsy. It is made of awesome.

Dolly - you are amazing! I love these designs and ideas!! I especially love the water bottle, candy wrapper and the "don't eat Pete" game/ideas. Thanks!

Dolly - you are amazing! I love these designs and ideas!! I especially love the water bottle, candy wrapper and the "don't eat Pete" game/ideas. Thanks!

Thanks! We played the "Don't Eat Pete" game with extended family this Christmas and it was a lot of fun.

Wow, I love everything you've done! I would really like to try some of the items that you've posted for my welcome bags for out of town guests. In particular I'm thinking the water bottle wrappers, mini tissue box, pillow box, candy bar wrapper, and box for playing cards. The water bottle wrapper tutorial you posted was super helpful. Do you have anything or know of anywhere that would have tutorials for the others that I mentioned?

Just bookmarked this thread in my wedding folder :)

Wow, I love everything you've done! I would really like to try some of the items that you've posted for my welcome bags for out of town guests. In particular I'm thinking the water bottle wrappers, mini tissue box, pillow box, candy bar wrapper, and box for playing cards. The water bottle wrapper tutorial you posted was super helpful. Do you have anything or know of anywhere that would have tutorials for the others that I mentioned?

Just bookmarked this thread in my wedding folder :)

What specific questions did you have for making the individual items?

These are all so beautiful!

I'm wondering how you affixed the candy bag toppers to the jewelry bags?

Thanks. =)

These are all so beautiful!

I'm wondering how you affixed the candy bag toppers to the jewelry bags?

Thanks. =)

I prefer to have a clean look so I use double sided tape to attach it to the jewlery bags. Specifically, I use the scotch brand tape with a yellow label that I get at Walmart in the office supply section.

You can also use a staple, or you can use a hole punch and punch two holes, thread a ribbon through and tie a bow.

What specific questions did you have for making the individual items?

Well, mostly I was wondering about size and everything. For instance, the box for the playing cards - did you make a template somehow? How did you know how to do that, or is there somewhere I can find one?

Well, mostly I was wondering about size and everything. For instance, the box for the playing cards - did you make a template somehow? How did you know how to do that, or is there somewhere I can find one?

I start with blank templates for everything I make. Half of the templates I designed myself using Photoshop and some I found blank templates online. Once I have the template I use photoshop to fill it with color, designs and words. If you are looking for templates the best thing to do is use google. I found a playing card box generator online where I could input the size of my cards and it generated a blank template for me to fit the cards I wanted to use. I think it was actually a website for magicians so they could make their own playing card boxes. Unfortunately, I didn't keep the website.

If you don't have photoshop and/or aren't computer savy...you can always print out a blank template and then use it as a guide for scoring and triming scrapbook paper. Or you can work with a designer who can design them for you matching your wedding color and theme, and then you can print and assemble the designs. I do that for a lot of brides and children's parties.

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks, that helps! I've fooled around with photoshop a little bit so I think I could figure it out... if not I'm sure my fiancé can help me, he's a computer guy ;)

DIY #13: S'mores Kit

I saw a similar kit online and just had to make my own! If you are looking for something fun and FREE to do with all of your guests coming to Disney, consider going to the Free Camp Fire Sing-A-Long with Chip and Dale at the Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Campground

Here is what I put together:

Smores1.jpg

Smores2.jpg

For the "roasting stick", I took a hanger and used a wire cutter to cut off the hook part of the hanger, then I bent it in half and tied a ribbon around it so that it would fit in the box. Now is the best time to buy boxes to put together a "s'mores kit" or any type of fun kit for your wedding. This box came packaged as a set of five boxes for $3.00 (I think) at Walmart. Each box measures 8.25 x 7 x 3.5 inches. A small water bottle would also easily fit in this box along with the other things to make s'mores so that your guests would have something to wash down their treat.

Another idea for making a "s'mores kit" would be to put everything into a gallon ziploc baggy then use a bag topper to hang it over the bottom of a hanger. Then you could carry the hangers with you to the Sing-A-Long and pass them out to all of your guests.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT THIS IDEA...

FAQ:

Do you have to stay at the Campground to go to Chip and Dale's Campfire Sing-A-Long?
What other activities are there to do at Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground?You can also rent boats or kayaks from the Fort Wilderness Marina. (Extra Cost)
The Electric Water Pageant can be seen from the Ft Wilderness Marina.
Pony Rides ($5 each; for children age 2 - children weighing 80 pounds or less / 10:00AM - 5:00PM)
Nightly Wagon Rides (Extra Cost)
Cane Pole Fishing ($10 - 10:00AM - 2:00PM)

I just had to say that I love the s'more kits you made. For our welcome party we had a private hay ride for our guests and invited them to go to the campfire beforehand. The private hay ride was an affordable thing for us to do for our guests. The wagon held around 25 people (varies depending on combination of adults and children) and was only $300 at the time.

I just had to say that I love the s'more kits you made. For our welcome party we had a private hay ride for our guests and invited them to go to the campfire beforehand. The private hay ride was an affordable thing for us to do for our guests. The wagon held around 25 people (varies depending on combination of adults and children) and was only $300 at the time.

Thanks! They were fun to make and a great little gift to give others. Your idea is GREAT as it is an affordable get together!

For other brides, if your budget is already stretched thin...don't forget that "Chip and Dale's" sing along / campfire is free and they show a Disney movie (for free) afterwards. Also, Chip and Dale sign autographs. What a great way to get your guests together for a fun event!!!

DIY Wedding Tip:

I really need to make a few more things...I have a chapstick holder that is great to include with a welcome gift or makes a great favor for wedding showers and a matchbook holder for breath mints. Until I get those made, here is a great idea for your wedding reception!

Just for fun...if you want to go an extra mile...put baskets in the restrooms for your guests during the reception. You can include a stain stick or stain wipes, hand sanitizer, aspirin, lotion, handy wipes, a few sewing kits (if you make them...or you can buy one mini sewing kit), safety pins, breath mints, etc. Here is a poem to go with it:

So happy you are here to share in our special day
But should something happen to go astray,
Please help yourself to the contents within,
Wet wipes, hand lotion and even aspirin.
Use only what you need and leave the rest,
It may also be useful to another guest.
So repair the damage that may have been done,
Then hurry on back and join in the fun!

Compliments of the Newlyweds!

You could even adapt this poem to fit your welcome gift basket or a "bear necessities" kit.

Also, I love when brides put flower arrangements in the restrooms. It is another added expense, but it really makes you smile to see the little extras details that a bride takes to make her day special.

Here is another fun tip for making all of your DIY projects:

Instead of killing yourself trying to make a bunch of printables...invite your bridesmaids/maid of honor and some best friends over for a fun "crafts" night. (Depending on your relationship...invite your Mom and future Mother-in-Law). Have some finger foods (eat before you craft!) and drinks...get a girlie movie (something with a wedding theme like "Maid of Honor" with Patrick Dempsey, "Father of the Bride", "My Best Friends Wedding", "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past", "The Notebook", etc.) and spend the night making your water bottle labels, candy bar wrappers, etc. Make sure that you have several scissors and plenty of double sided tape. The scotch brand double sided tape at Walmart (it has a yellow cover) works well for these projects.

Know that your friends may not be perfectionists, but it is okay...the ones that can't cut a straight line, can make the sewing kits and wrap the thread around the piece of cardstock or wrap the chocolate nuggets. Make sure you have everything printed before they come over. You wouldn't want to have ink and/or printer problems after they show up to where you aren't able to use their help.

Also, check pricing to see if it is cheaper to have everything printed at a print shop or at home with your own ink. When you start printing your DIY projects...make sure you have replacement cartridges. For my printer that is around $50. I usually use an entire cartridge of blank and color ink for one event or party. (Yes I make that many DIY projects including invites, favors, decorations, table numbers, place cards, etc.)

Send out a cute "e-vite" to save a little on money and tell them to bring scissors, paper cutters and bone folders (if they have them). Most girls love to do arts and crafts so this could be a fun evening for all. Leave a few things that you don't have them make so that there will be a few surprises in their welcome bag.

DIY Tip #3: If you aren't computer savy, consider printing just the template for the DIY projects that are more than just cutting out a rectangle like boxes, favor bags, etc. onto the backside of scrapbook paper or cardstock. Then you will have guidelines to make the different items and the guidelines will be on the inside of the item you are making.

If you are looking for a fun and unusual gift holder for a wedding favor or welcome gift, you might consider using a lunchbox! Here is a picture:

IMG_2688.jpg

This would make a cute holder for the smaller size water bottles, snack packs and candy! You could also include a fun Disney trinket or two, like a small stuffed Mickey and/or Minnie.

Even if you don't do this for every guest, this would make a cute gift for your ring bearer and/or flower girl. Go to the Dollar Tree (where everything is one dollar, they have TONS of Disney things and you could easily fill up a lunchbox and not spend a ton of money). Some ideas for things to put in the box for children include:
toothbrush and toothpaste (there are lots of cute disney ones out there)
puzzle book
coloring book and crayons
miniature toys from Dollar Tree
snack packs
bandaids (disney of course!)
View Master with Disney pics
small stuffed Mickey or Minnie
travel games (I have lots of printable ones in my 4shared in the link in my signature)

The best time to find these is during the back to school sales. You can find them throughout the year, but back to school is the best time to find them around.

Another way to package up your welcome gifts is to use "Gable Boxes". I LOVE how these turn out and they don't require a ton of things to fill them up! Here are a few examples:

IMG_1492.jpg

WelcomeBoxes.jpg

welcomebox.jpg

gablebox.jpg

You can find these at most craft stores and they fold up nicely for transport!

I thought I would post a few pictures if you wanted to make a "travel game" pack for your guests to include in your "welcome gift" or if you know they are driving to Disney, this would make a GREAT gift to send in advance for their drive! These are all things I made for my son's birthday party, but I thought it would give you an idea of what you could do for a GREAT gift that you can make yourself for a destination wedding.

These travel games can all be found in my 4shared file along with ones for Princesses and Mickey and the Gang here:
http://www.4shared.com/dir/TfcXuCNe/Travel_Games.html
AND here:
http://www.4shared.com/dir/_L6cCi_g/Travel_Games.html

I made all of the holders and every game. The only thing that I purchased was the actual food items, crayons to go in the box I made and the pencil bag. Again, I know they are all for a Cars birthday party, but imagine what they would look like using your monogram or something fun to commemorate your wedding.

First, I love to make travel games and put them in pencil bags as you can throw it in a glove box or under the chair in the car and leave it there until your next road trip.

FavorBag.jpg

A picture of all the things that I made and put in the pencil bag:

PartyFavors.jpg

Some of the individual items:

Here are some of the travel games that I made. If you make them, have them laminated and include a dry erase marker so that they can be used over and over!
IMG_2687.jpg

IMG_2686.jpg

MMBagTopper.jpg

I love rolls of life savors when I travel! As a child my dad would grab a roll at a gas station when he filled up, then we would have fun seeing what the next color is and who wanted that color.
LifeSaver.jpg

CandyBar.jpg

Crayon Box (that I made!):
CrayonBox.jpg

I know this is a "Pit Pass" that I made for my son's birthday party. But it is just to show you that you could make a fun badge for a lanyard with a picture of the castle or something fun that commemorates your wedding/disney. Then on the backside you could put the "schedule of events" that way it will give your guests something fun to wear at the park and a way to remember what time all of the events are scheduled! Mine was 3.43 x 6 inches, which is a good size if you are going to put your wedding schedule on the back.

PitPass.jpg

TIPS if you decide to make these!
1. Back to school is the best time to buy the pencil bags and crayon boxes as you can get pencil bags for $1.00 and 24 packs of crayons for 25 cents!
2. You can get a small laminating machine at Walmart that is not too expensive and laminating sheets so that you can laminate everything yourself.
3. Walmart sells dry erase markers that have erasers on the end that are perfect for the travel games. If you include them, your guests will have a way to not only mark the games but clean them up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter