DJ question: How many songs?

minniebride

DIS Veteran
How many songs would you typically need for a 3 hour reception? We need to make a song list & I'm clueless as to how many songs.

Thanks!:goodvibes

Unless you're extremely particular, you don't usually need a full list. Just a list of ones you definitely want, especially for particular moments (first dance, cutting cake, etc), and a list of no plays. If you have a certain style you'd like, that might help as well. Estimation-wise that would be more than sixty songs, which is a pretty long list!

Make sure you list "must play" as well! I know my DJ, the awesome Scott Messina, sent us a request list to fill out and I would think most do the same. We filled out our selections for the main things, gave him the names of our Bridal Party, a DO NOT Play list, a MUST Play list, and any other special requests. It made it super easy! :thumbsup2

You can typically play 16-18 songs per hour, based on an average of 3.5 minutes per song. Remember to leave time for announcements or other activities! :)

Hope this helps...

Just was going to give the same info Chuck just gave you. I totally agree great formula to go by.

I was wondering this as well, and I am super particular and really want to make a list for pretty much the whole night, I just want to leave some slots for guests to request songs, but other than that I really want to pick the songs. Do DJ's mind if you do this? I'm under the impression most the time this is not how it works?

DJs don't particularly "mind"- but they definitely will want to know- what you want them to do- if no one is dancing or responding to your selections. Can they go off the list? Most will want to if they are getting no response from your guests or getting a lot of requests from your guests that are not on your list.

My best suggestion- say you plan for 2.5 hours of dancing. If you are really particular about song selections, I would give the DJ a list 40 songs- with about 10-15 *highlighted* as MUST plays. That way, if the other selections are not working, the DJ can re-adjust the party on the fly.

Hope this helps!

Good question...thanks Chuck for chiming in!
I have just made a list of 44 songs that I like, with some 'must plays' off that due to timing. Our reception will only be 2.5 hrs, so I labeled some as 'during dinner' which is softer, then 'dancing' which is both slow and fast/fun. Then,
of course, the 'must haves' like first dance, father/daughter etc.

I am really big into music, so I too, wanted to ensure certain ones were there, but I guess I should tell my DJ that I dont mind if he goes off track if need be.

DJs don't particularly "mind"- but they definitely will want to know- what you want them to do- if no one is dancing or responding to your selections. Can they go off the list? Most will want to if they are getting no response from your guests or getting a lot of requests from your guests that are not on your list.

My best suggestion- say you plan for 2.5 hours of dancing. If you are really particular about song selections, I would give the DJ a list 40 songs- with about 10-15 *highlighted* as MUST plays. That way, if the other selections are not working, the DJ can re-adjust the party on the fly.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, that helped a lot! That is excatly what I will do. I deff. don't mind if the DJ goes off the list if guests arn't dancing, I want a lot of dancing! Thanks for the help!

You don't want to tie your DJ's hands. You have hired a professional and they have a job to do, one they are good at. If you hire the right DJ they will be able to read the crowed and play songs that will keep the dance floor packed and the memories flowing. Now don't get me wrong every couple has a few must play songs but you don't want to pick every song your guests will hear at your reception...if this IS what you want then (sorry DJ's, but...) why hire a DJ...just make a play list on an IPod and pay the AV fee for Disney to set it up. :confused3

Please don't take this the wrong way...you just want your guests to have a great time and the right wedding professionals will ensure this!!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter