DL DAS "renewal" recap

tjmw2727

DIS Veteran
After using DAS at WDW for 4/5 years; last year was the first year I applied at DL. I got a bit of pushback last year and was uncomfortable with the video chat experience, but I was eventually approved. I also had to apply 2x last year as our trips were just over the 60 days. So, I was not looking forward to this chat :)

This year -
3 hours almost to the minute from opening the chat to the video with the CM.
CM was very pleasant and although she did ask several questions, I felt like she was genuine and trying to help, vs questioning my needs or need for DAS.
1 hour until the chat reappeared to choose the advance selections, got what I hoped for at good times.

For reference this was on a Sunday afternoon - I was doing a project where I knew I could just leave the laptop to do the waiting, so I was prepared for a wait to get to the video chat. I was surprised by the 1 hour wait for the selections but once I got a CM it went quickly.

Having a list of my issues as well as real world "park" experiences written down in front of me helped. I recommend this for those who tend to get flustered when talking about what can be hard for you.

Glad it worked out for you, it worked out for me too this year. I'm super happy this was able to be sorted out before my trip, such a relief to not worry about it. Not worrying about stamina lead me to have confidence in making all sorts of fine dining reservations. This is so much better than in 2016 when a no at the gate made the trip very hard on me and kept me away this whole time. Such a big improvement!

Glad it worked out for you, it worked out for me too this year. I'm super happy this was able to be sorted out before my trip, such a relief to not worry about it. Not worrying about stamina lead me to have confidence in making all sorts of fine dining reservations. This is so much better than in 2016 when a no at the gate made the trip very hard on me and kept me away this whole time. Such a big improvement!
I thought they didn’t give DAS for stamina?

I thought they didn’t give DAS for stamina?
I'll explain:

I didn't get DAS for stamina.

I had always had DAS but in 2016, for whatever reason, the person at the gate decided no, & there was nothing I could do about it, but there I was anyway.

Consider how a disabled person forcing themselves to push through the parks like a non disabled person because thousands were spent and they were with other people was exhausting and wore me down to nothing, plus all I wanted to do was cry most of the time. As a result, I believe the absence of such a painful experience would likely offer a likely increase in stamina so the person, me, can enjoy other things. Because of the anticipated increase in stamina I am ok with putting my credit card out there to hold a spot in nice restaurants which I hope to be able to enjoy instead of curling up and crying back at the hotel before dinner. My last non DAS experience was not a good one.

I'll explain:

I didn't get DAS for stamina.

I had always had DAS but in 2016, for whatever reason, the person at the gate decided no, & there was nothing I could do about it, but there I was anyway.

Consider how a disabled person forcing themselves to push through the parks like a non disabled person because thousands were spent and they were with other people was exhausting and wore me down to nothing, plus all I wanted to do was cry most of the time. As a result, I believe the absence of such a painful experience would likely offer a likely increase in stamina so the person, me, can enjoy other things. Because of the anticipated increase in stamina I am ok with putting my credit card out there to hold a spot in nice restaurants which I hope to be able to enjoy instead of curling up and crying back at the hotel before dinner. My last non DAS experience was not a good one.
If I recall correctly, you were denied a DAS because you were told that your disability could be handled by a wheelchair or scooter, but you didn’t want to use a mobility device.

I was hopeful that Disney was tightening up, not getting more lenient. I guess time will tell.

If I recall correctly, you were denied a DAS because you were told that your disability could be handled by a wheelchair or scooter, but you didn’t want to use a mobility device.

I was hopeful that Disney was tightening up, not getting more lenient. I guess time will tell.
It wasn't at all true but that is what they said at the gate. Still not true but at least I have DAS for this trip.

Me not wanting to use a chair is a separate issue from people insisting it would help me, thus far not a single Dr has suggested anything even remotely close.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter