DL in the rain?? Help!

Meets1

Earning My Ears
Traveling from quite the distance to visit DL/DCA this coming weekend 3/30-3/31 and the weather forecast looks terrible- rain and 50's/60's. Talk me off the ledge here- any tips/tricks to make the best out of bad weather days in the parks? Concerned that many things that we were looking forward to riding (eg Incredicoaster, BTMRR, RSR, etc) will not run in the rain.

Well, on the plus side it should keep crowds down as a lot of locals may skip out (those SoCal folks don't fool with rain! 🤣). One note is to try to keep your shoes dry as I ahve noticed that DLR may have some drainage issues and deep puddles. It's not like WDW where they deal with a daily thunderstorm. Bring a poncho, maybe hiking boots or something, and enjoy.

Some of the outdoor rides will close in the rain, notable Alice in Wonderland is totally closed. RSR will likely be too. Others may run in a light rain as long as there is no lightning - I think Incredicoaster is fine as long as it's not too heavy. I know I have ridden BTMRR in a pretty hard rain at WDW, but the raindrops were pelting me in the face, so it wasn't pleasant. Again, any lightning is going to close the outdoor rides. I do not know how common that is in Anaheim. Indoor rides should be unaffected, but lines may get long for them. I do not know how it affects Rise of the Resistance since it has outdoor sections.

Hopefully it won't be too bad for you - good luck!

Wait until it gets a little closer before you panic. We are also going this weekend and the forecast seems to be shifting daily. Bring layers or plan on purchasing clothing at the parks (the black spirit jersey is popular 🤣).

We were at the parks this past weekend. It was sunny for part of the day and also rained.

I agree with LKing. Not time to panic yet as the forecast changes constantly and is rarely accurate more than a day or two out.

We had a day in the parks a couple week ago and the forecast showed rain, but that ended up being a few sprinkles on the windshield as we drove to the park. Once there it was gone and for the rest of the day it was just off and on cloudy and sunny. I'm not one who would say I love a rainy day at DL, but an overcast day was great!

California weather is inherently fickle.

That said, prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Personally, I love Disneyland in the rain, and did a torrential downpour solo adventure on our last trip while the rest of the family rested in the hotel:
1711410121394.png

Most stuff runs in the rain. Alice, Teacups, RSR, and Luigis close for just about any precipitation. The Treehouse will also likely close (I know Tarzan's always closed in the rain, I assume it will be the same for Adventureland Treehouse).

Most everything else will run unless there are thunderstorms (rare) or the downpour is really strong (also rare)

You'll want something weatherproof on your feet.
And you'll want something weatherproof on your bum. Seats on many attractions will be wet, so you'll want to bring at the least something to sit on, or weatherproof pants to wear.

If your hotel is close, a mid day change may be in order. If your hotel is not close, bring clothes for a mid day change and store them in a locker.

Allow yourself a slower pace and take some time to watch the ducks frolic. Be aware that restaurants will often close their outdoor seating when it is wet, so consider this when checking in for dining reservations as your wait may be a little longer. Alternatively, if you are doing counter/quick service, consider eating at times on either side of the lunch/dinner rush to help with the seating. As with any day, it works well to have one person order/pick up the mobile order and another person try to snag seating.

Remember also the hack that if you do get caught unexpectedly and buy the disneyland parkas, if it gets torn on an attraction or otherwise during the course of your day they will typically replace it free of charge wherever they are sold.

And take the opportunity to check out may of the great indoor attractions that are often overlooked for a nice respite from the rain (Great moments with Mr. Lincoln, the Main St. Cinema, The animation building in DCA, the Red Car Trolley, etc.)

A rainy day at the park beats a sunny day almost anywhere else. Have a great trip, rain or shine!

Some of my favorite trips to DL have been in the rain. If you have room in your luggage bring at least 2 pairs of shoes, multiple pairs of synthetic socks snd a high quality rain jacket/poncho, the DL ponchos are a relatively expensive and a poor quality option IMHO. A smartwool base layer up top and water repellent pants combined with proper layering is helpful to stay warm/relatively dry. Rope drop and hit as many rides as you can early in the day, take a break/nap and dry out midday. Grab those dry shoes/socks and head back into the parks if the rain stops or if it doesn’t make the best out of the evening.

It really doesn’t rain in SoCal (recent storms are not the norm), so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. You may get a little rain one day, but overall it’ll probably be fine.

Attachments

• IMG_3637.jpeg
    IMG_3637.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 5
We were initially super bummed about rain being in the forecast for our trip Thanksgiving 2019, but it ended up being great. We almost had the parks to ourselves. Rode incredicoaster 3 times in a row with no wait. We had been there Thanksgiving week the year before and this was night and day crowd wise. Here are some pics from the day before Thanksgiving. Check out the "crowds"
IMG_8692.jpegIMG_8691.jpegIMG_8690.jpeg

California weather is inherently fickle.

That said, prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Personally, I love Disneyland in the rain, and did a torrential downpour solo adventure on our last trip while the rest of the family rested in the hotel:
View attachment 845051

Most stuff runs in the rain. Alice, Teacups, RSR, and Luigis close for just about any precipitation. The Treehouse will also likely close (I know Tarzan's always closed in the rain, I assume it will be the same for Adventureland Treehouse).

Most everything else will run unless there are thunderstorms (rare) or the downpour is really strong (also rare)

You'll want something weatherproof on your feet.
And you'll want something weatherproof on your bum. Seats on many attractions will be wet, so you'll want to bring at the least something to sit on, or weatherproof pants to wear.

If your hotel is close, a mid day change may be in order. If your hotel is not close, bring clothes for a mid day change and store them in a locker.

Allow yourself a slower pace and take some time to watch the ducks frolic. Be aware that restaurants will often close their outdoor seating when it is wet, so consider this when checking in for dining reservations as your wait may be a little longer. Alternatively, if you are doing counter/quick service, consider eating at times on either side of the lunch/dinner rush to help with the seating. As with any day, it works well to have one person order/pick up the mobile order and another person try to snag seating.

Remember also the hack that if you do get caught unexpectedly and buy the disneyland parkas, if it gets torn on an attraction or otherwise during the course of your day they will typically replace it free of charge wherever they are sold.

And take the opportunity to check out may of the great indoor attractions that are often overlooked for a nice respite from the rain (Great moments with Mr. Lincoln, the Main St. Cinema, The animation building in DCA, the Red Car Trolley, etc.)

A rainy day at the park beats a sunny day almost anywhere else. Have a great trip, rain or shine!
Are you British? You said "bum" and not "butt" 🤣

Are you British? You said "bum" and not "butt" 🤣
No. But my wife is a major anglophile and watches a lot of shows on BritBox, Acorn, etc. We also have a cousin who married a British gent who is a major Disneyland lover, so I have a lot of park centered conversations with him when we get together. As such, occasionally British parlance makes its way into our conversations. It's not uncommon for us to speak of "feeling poorly" or asking if someone "fancies a cuppa" in our house. I guess bum just slipped in where I might have normally typed bottom.

Edit: The dead giveaway that I'm not British is that I suggested weatherproof pants rather than trousers ;)

We were there New Years 2023 and it poured every day, almost all day.
At that time it was during magic key blackouts and so it didn't affect locals or crowds. Huge lineups in the rain...
and it was still awesome.

As others have said, be aware of what does and doesn't close. World of Colour usually runs, projections only instead of fireworks, no parades.

Otherwise embrace what you can. Pirates is a long indoor ride when you need a break. We looped Grizzly River Run because, well, why not? We aren't poncho people or umbrellas but laughed with people dancing like Singing in the Rain style on Main Street. Oh and Small World - another nice long indoor ride - but you're outside in the wet seats for a while, too.

Yes, we made it on Rise a few times when it was raining.

Bring socks and wear layers and maybe use the excuse for a new sweatshirt :) We will be there during that time and that's my plan! :)

Beats the current snowfall warning here, anyway! Hahaha

As our boy scout troop here in Colorado likes to say “There is no such thing as bad weather, only poor clothing choices.” I was freaked out last month when steady rain all day was predicted for our one day at Universal Hollywood. I mean, it's not supposed to rain in SoCal, right? I bought the Express Passes for everyone and thought our day would be ruined. But we went prepared and had the BEST time! Ponchos/raincoats and layers for everyone and a waterproof backpack cover. By the very end of the day our sneakers finally soaked all the way through, but it took all day to happen. I noticed people with clear, zip on sneaker covers and looked them up on Amazon once we got back because I had never seen them before. Pretty cool. I also like the suggestion upthread of waterproof socks! Crowds will be lower for you and you will still have a great time!

Thankful for all these tips, we are flying out and will be there on Sunday! We are going on a cruise after our DL days and we only pack what we can carry on (no checked bags), so bringing extra tennis shoes for all four of us is not really an option. Any tips on how to quickly dry tennis shoes!? I am thinking a hair dryer but maybe I am missing something. We are staying at DL hotel, so we can come back and forth to dry off midday.

Just to piggy-back this I have a question for any locals - we plan to do the Warner Bros Tour on Saturday and it will be rainy, I assume it will go on as normal?

No. But my wife is a major anglophile and watches a lot of shows on BritBox, Acorn, etc. We also have a cousin who married a British gent who is a major Disneyland lover, so I have a lot of park centered conversations with him when we get together. As such, occasionally British parlance makes its way into our conversations. It's not uncommon for us to speak of "feeling poorly" or asking if someone "fancies a cuppa" in our house. I guess bum just slipped in where I might have normally typed bottom.

Edit: The dead giveaway that I'm not British is that I suggested weatherproof pants rather than trousers ;)
I hadn't spotted your pants... 😉 I love the fact you say "poorly" and "cuppa"-do you eat sarnies with your cuppa? Or fancy a biccie? (Sandwich or biscuit -cookie to you!!) Or for the ultimate British food, and something I have never seen anywhere in the USA-least of all in the UK pavilion at Epcot.... a chip buttie. Or a French Fry sandwich to you!

Thankful for all these tips, we are flying out and will be there on Sunday! We are going on a cruise after our DL days and we only pack what we can carry on (no checked bags), so bringing extra tennis shoes for all four of us is not really an option. Any tips on how to quickly dry tennis shoes!? I am thinking a hair dryer but maybe I am missing something. We are staying at DL hotel, so we can come back and forth to dry off midday.

Just to piggy-back this I have a question for any locals - we plan to do the Warner Bros Tour on Saturday and it will be rainy, I assume it will go on as normal?

I can't offer tips for drying shoes, though the reasonably dry SoCal air will help. I would recommend though bringing or getting something to mitigate sneaker funk. I can tell you from experience, one rainy day in Anaheim where our shoes got soaked (mostly due to Splash Mountian but the rainy weather did not help) - when we got back to the hotel those shoes were toxic! They get all swampy, you know? Some kind of sneaker balls, odor-eater type things, or spray, might be a good idea.

I can't offer tips for drying shoes, though the reasonably dry SoCal air will help. I would recommend though bringing or getting something to mitigate sneaker funk. I can tell you from experience, one rainy day in Anaheim where our shoes got soaked (mostly due to Splash Mountian but the rainy weather did not help) - when we got back to the hotel those shoes were toxic! They get all swampy, you know? Some kind of sneaker balls, odor-eater type things, or spray, might be a good idea.
Good thinking! I bought some shoe freshener pouches, I figure if we don't need them, I can use them for my kids' sports shoes that always smell. Glad you responded!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter