• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DL questions from WDW vets

scotthart

You didn't see anything
We just booked our first trip to DL (July 27-30) and I have a few questions that some of you DL vets might be able to help me with. First we (myself, DW, and six kids ages 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 14) :earseek: yes I know six kids :earseek: will be arriving to the hotel (GC) at about noon on a Thursday. I am thinking that we should skip DL and do DCA this day as the crowds will be pretty bad at DL by the time we get there . Does this make sense? On the days we do DL I was hoping to get there at opening and only stay until the crowds get to thick and then back to the hotel for rest, swim, naps and then back to DCA in the evenings. Is that feasible? Can anyone recommend one character meal over another? What about a good restaraunt for a night out with no kids? Thats a good start I think, thanks in advance for everyones help!!

Sounds like you have an excellent plan that works well for my family when arriving late or it is crowded at Disneyland :earsboy: . Goofy's Kitchen is my favorite character dining. My kids are 11 & 15 and they still love Goofy's Kitchen (lots of fun). I was told it is similar to Chef Mickeys at WDW?? As far as a night out with no kids- that has never happened for us. We always end up eating at Rain Forrest Cafe or do counter service in the parks. ::MinnieMo

If you like Magic Kingdom- you will love Disneyland! ::MickeyMo

That does sound like a good plan to me. DCA is usually less busy but the lines can seem as long sometimes but the walkways feel less crowded. Disneyland first thing in the morning is the best way to go.
You could use that first day to go into Disneyland and take your time looking around instead of running to the rides and maybe hit the attractions that are not crowded but you plan is good too. :)
I have only been to two character meal restaurants. We have done Goofy's kitchen for breakfast a few times and we really like that. I don't know how it is for lunch or dinner but based on the food at breakfast I wouldn't hesitate to go to the other meals. We always get a good amount of charachter interaction here too. At DCA I like going to Ariel'S Grotto, now known as Capatina Micky's or something like that. I like the food there though the menu is pretty limited. The inside dining room is nice and fun, the outside pier is okay. Character interaction is much less here.
I have not gone out for more expensive meals at DL like we do at WDW but I did try Hook's Point at the Disneyland Hotel and really liked it. Granville's Steak House at the Disneyland Hotel is also suppose to be really good. The best restaurant at the reosrt seems to be Napa Rose at the Grand Californian. Great reviews and I think a 5 star rating. It looks pretty when I peek through the window. :)

My girlfriend and I did Granville's Steakhouse at DLH for Valentine's Day dinner, and absolutely loved the cozy, yet chic atmosphere. The Napa Rose at GC is supposed to be better, but we were extremely pleased with Granville's and I can highly recommend it for a pleasant dinner sans-enfants.

As for hitting DCA when you first show up... great idea. Doing it then, then one other half-day, will cover everything you'll want to do in DCA, most likely. The kids will probably like the Bug's Life area, but after you do Soarin', Screamin', GRR, ToT, and check out Muppet-Vision and Tough to Be a Bug, DCA gets stale (not to mention, only Screamin', GRR, and Soarin' (for now) aren't at WDW).

Have a great time!

Make sure you get in at least one viewing of DL's Fantasmic. It's quite different from the WDW version and most of us who have seen both would agree that DL's is better.

MANCHURIAN BROWN BEAR

Only six kids?!?! Couldn't you have fit one in between the 10 & 14 year-olds?

I am only one man for goodness sake. :confused3 If it makes you feel better Brown Bear, we are hoping to have #7 in the works between now and then. :love2:

Thanks to all for the great advice. Any input as to whether or not it would be worth the $$ to book Fantasmic dessert reserved seating? It is difficult to keep six occupied if we stake out a good spot early.

We went to Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen for our non-kids dinner, and we'll do the same in August, although I was thinking of trying House of Blues (hubby likes music). :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1

You've got a great plan. I do think, if you can swing the cost, paying for the Fantasmic Buffet would be well worth it for you. With 6 kids and going during the summer months and the 50th Anniversary, it's going to be very busy and the crowds can start getting their spots pretty early.

As for a night without the kids, a friend and I fly down each year without the kids - we've done the Vineyard room at DCA and Hooke's Point at the DLH. We like them both, but I wasn't overly impressed with either. Next time we are going to go to Napa Rose in the GCH.

Goofy's Kitchen has been my favorite character meal, but I'm looking forward to going to Captain Mickey's in DCA when we go in December as it's new and it has Mickey!! - We never went when it was Ariel's Grotto...

Have a great time! You'll love the GCH - it's beautiful and the only place we'll stay!

I think you have a pretty good plan. The other thing to take into consideration is that if you really want to return to a park in the evening, pick up a fastpass before you leave the park for your break. I often do this when I have friends staying in the area. Unlike WDW, you'll be in your hotel room for 5 minutes.
As for Fantasmic, if you don't want to spend the money for the dessert buffet, try to go to the 10:30 showing. It'll be MUCH less crowded and you can good spots pretty close to show time. A great spot for this is behind the center light tower. In between shows, it is lowered so it looks like it's blocking the area. So, people tend to stay away from there. I can get there 15 minutes before showtime and get a great viewing spot.

Donnetta R
Who's keeping the kids?

We will probably end up taking my DM, she usually goes with us to WDW. She is great about taking kids back to the room when they get tired (she tends to get a little pooped out herself) plus she works at the Disney Store and gets great discounts at the restaraunts and shops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter