DL Strategy needed!

disney1474

DIS Veteran
First time going to DL and staying at Disney's Grand Californian. Will be visiting the parks on Thursday-Sat (3 days) July 20-22. Thinking 2 days at DL and 1 at DCA. Do you think we'll be able to see mostly everything? Any tips appreciated. thanks!

First time going to DL and staying at Disney's Grand Californian. Will be visiting the parks on Thursday-Sat (3 days) July 20-22. Thinking 2 days at DL and 1 at DCA. Do you think we'll be able to see mostly everything? Any tips appreciated. thanks!
I’m planning my first trip as well.
Most here suggested to get hoppers as the parks as so close to each other, so I did.
With early entry, a good plan and Genie+ it seems possible to see mostly everything.

Have fun planning your trip!

Yes. 3 days is more than enough. We did 4 days last time we went but it was mostly so the wife and I could have a day to ourselves while our kids did all their favorite rides. We normally do just 3 days or 3 and a morning before flying out.

Use the early entry option for hotel guests and you're going to get so much accomplished before 11am. If you do Genie+, you can get most of the rides in before the crowds arrive and then use Genie+ to do the rest. Get park hopper tickets since the parks are only separated by an esplanade.

Disneyland Daily has some great strategies on her website and Facebook. She gives reports on how her strategies worked and she definitely knows how to utilize Genie+ to help get more rides in.

Definitely use the early entry for Fantasyland or Tomorrowland for your DLR days and Avengers Campus at California Adventure (Webslingers and Guardians).

EARLY ENTRY RIDES AT DISNEYLAND​

• Alice in Wonderland
  • Astro Orbitor
  • Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
  • Disneyland Monorail
  • Dumbo the Flying Elephant
  • King Arthur Carrousel
  • Mad Tea Party
  • Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
  • Peter Pan’s Flight
  • Pinocchio’s Daring Journey
  • Snow White’s Enchanted Wish
  • Space Mountain
  • Star Tours – The Adventures Continue

EARLY ENTRY RIDES AT DISNEY CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE​

• Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission BREAKOUT!
  • Incredicoaster
  • The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure
  • Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree
  • Monsters Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue!
  • Soarin’ Around the World
  • WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure
I would definitely say to hit up Fantasyland one morning for Early Entry and Tomorrowland on the other. Then you can be ahead of the rope drop crowds for those rides and move on to Big Thunder, Indiana Jones, Haunted Mansion, or Galaxy's Edge.

In California Adventure, I'd use the early entry for either Guardians or Webslingers. Then you can use your Genie+ to re-ride either later on. I think Guardians is fantastic to ride at night. We tend to start our morning at Pixar Pier as that's less crowded. So you could hit one of those Avengers Campus rides and then head over to Pixar Pier to ride Incredicoaster and Midway Mania.

Last edited:

Yes. Staying at Grand Californian is really a premium help when it comes to proximity. You don't say it, but I trust from your comments of being a first time DL resort guest that you have stayed at WDW. DLR is so easy to navigate and get around. A park hopper pass is really helpful at DLR because the two parks are so close together.

My family stayed at DLH last year. My DW picked the hotel because it still has old school Disney deluxe resort vibes and styling. Even though DLH is further away than GCH it was still as super short walk. It was a shorter walk from the hotel to the Esplanade than BC/YC to DHS, if that gives you any sense of distance and walking times.

I would recommend taking advantage of EMHs and rise and shine early to do so. At DL, you can knock out (almost) the entire Fantasyland rides before the park opens to the rest of the guests. My DW and I did a dessert party for WoC. We splurged and we were glad we did it. The only other dessert party we had ever done was at EP for Illuminations. We don't typically splurge on those things, but we really wanted a nice unobstructed view of WoC. So, for that, it was worth it.

I don't recommend sitting down for a lot of TS meals. It isn't because the food is bad, but because the CS food at DL is far superior in my opinion than MK or most WDW parks. I was really pleased with how good the CS meals were. That was an unexpected, good surprise. So, for purposes of saving time, mobile order CS meals and share them. For instance, my whole family shared Bengal BBQ skewers and we ate right across from JC and hopped on afterwards. For another instance, buy a Dole Whip and eat it at the Tiki Room. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter