DL trip report inspired by "Duh,DL of course" thread.

KNWVIKING

DIS Veteran
Dw and I just got back from our first visit to DL. 9 days, stayed at DLH. We are DVC members,been to WDW several times. Now for the bad news: I totally prefer WDW. Before I go into details I will offer this disclaimer: The middle of Sept is very off season and several rides were down for refurb so we weren't seeing DL at its best. That said:

1) The monorail looked very tired. I have never seen duct tape anywhere in WDW. I think every car we got into had duct tape holding together at least one seat. At the DTD stations the steps looked ancient,paint peeling. At the TL station,the people mover belt was inoperative.

2) My disclaimer: Even in the off season,too many things were down. The Railroad,Matterhorn,Storybook land, Caseys Train, Haunted House, Carousal,(sp),the Art Gallery, and I know I'm leaving something out- oh well.

3) They had Fantasmic on Fri & Sat nite. I'm sorry,but staking out a spot to see it hours before it starts is not "good show". To make matters worse: They added the best water front spots to their reserved $45.00 pp desert package. People were standing on the tables of a nearby resteraunt just to get a glimps.

4) Even in the off season,Fri & Sat had nice crowds- not huge,but nice.The place felt packed,getting anywhere was a project. I can't imagine the place in the summer.

5) Too many reminants of closed rides. The Submarines,the Sky Cars, something I would compare to the Tomorrowland Transit Authority at WDW.

6) Location,location,location. We had a rental convertible and were so disgusted with the highways and local roads we never wanted to go out exploring,(although we did go to Hollywood & PCH). While this is not DL's fault,it is a reason to prefer WDW.

I'll stop there and not go into details about DCA or even DLH, but they just added fuel to our fire. On a positive note we truely did enjoy ourselves.The things I listed did not in any way ruin our trip.There are some rides I wish WDW had-Indy & Soarin quickly come to mind.DL's POTC is better then WDW,but our Splashmountain beats yours. It was neat knowing that Walt actually got to play in this park,something WDW will never know. And the CM's were absolutely great,well above WDW standards.

All in all, we can't see ourselves returning to California just to go to DL. The "been there,done that,going back" phrase just isn't happening for us. Let the flames begin.

No flames here. :) Southern California is WAY different from Orlando, that's for sure. Disneyland is a smaller park and you did come during the height of refurbishment season and when rides are down for upcoming events (Haunted Mansion is down for the Haunted Mansion Holiday revamp).

Yep, crowds here are BIGGER...we have a HUGE annual passholder base and Disneyland is very close to where many of us live.

It's too bad you didn't venture beyond Anaheim and Hollywood more, there are some MUCH better places to enjoy your convertible. :)

Glad you had fun anyway! :)

Hi. I have to say I will agree on a couple point with you and disagree with some as well.
Traffic is bad but unfortuatly a part of living in Southern California and the Bay Area (where I live) The best you can hope is to aim for non commute hours and even then its hit and miss.
There are too many rides closed at once. That the price you pay in going right after summer and before all the holiday fun stuff.
I was going in Sep. but when I saw the amount of closures I changed my mind and we are going in Dec. instead.

When I started the thread that you are referring to I did not mean for it to get into a one is better than another contest. I did say that both resorts are different but good. I do still stand by what I said about DL being the original thing and there is a reason why even in off peak times there were so many people. About Fantasmic...I think the point you made that its not a good show because you need to claim a spot way in advance is a VERY debatable point.
I really do hope you don't dismiss California and DL and come back to see other things and maybe try DL during another time of year , maybe for DLs 50th anniversary.:D

It was just coincedence that your thread was up when I went to post my trip report,I wasn't trying to debate DL vs WDW, I just thought it was a fun tie-in.

The traffic issue-we specifically left for USH after 9:00 am to avoid rush hr,still miserable. We headed to Huntington beach one evening at 6:30,on a thursday,to see the sunset. We saw it set over the State Farm building on Beach Blvd. Sun was coming up in Japan by the time we got to PCH.

As for Fantasmic: Even at WDW I never understood why people would start sitting on the curbs hrs before a parade. I have much better things to do with my time. In MGM, Fantasmic is done in a huge stage,sitting at least 5000 people with virtually no bad seats.At DL, people were standing on the railings,standing on tables and chairs in the one resteraunt,people weaseling in and out trying to pry their way forward. And even though it was Friday,I doubt the crowd was anywhere near summer time size. Just couldn't enjoy what little bit I was able to see.

We will return to Ca, but mostly to see the redwoods & Sequias (sp). Maybe swing down for a day or two in the parks.

Too bad you never made it beyond the freeway to some of the So Cal beaches... Laguna, Newport, etc.. They are cleaner than the Florida Beaches - i.e the Gulf of Mexico. It might of made your trip more enjoyable. If you check out the northern part of the state, be sure to see Big Sur and 17 Mile Drive along the Monterey Coast.

I totally agree!

We added DLR to check out DCA this trip and although we had fun and there were many thing withing DLR that surpasses WDW. For the ease of exploring, the LA experience will never beat the Orlando experience.

First of all our trip was WDW based, we had a day in Tampa as well as a three day stay at Universal. In LA, we were based at the GCH and drove to Knotts and Six Flags as side trips, as well as Ontario Mills and San Diego. For ease of commute, Orlando wins hands down although I enjoy both Disneys equally.

Ive done LA by bus as well and that takes away how threating the traffic and roads can be but doesnt enhance the experience when Universal and Six Flags are 1 hour+ from Anaheim.

We are fortunate that Walt got it right in Florida and the planners down there were able to accommodate SeaWorld and Universal within such easy reach of WDW, while allowing the World to maintain its isolated and unique identity!

I will always love Disneyland because it was my very first Disney park (way back in 1956). It was interesting to read this though. Thanks for posting :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter