DLP hotel advice needed please!!!

Scottish_Maleficent

DIS Veteran
First time posting on the DLP board!!! :goodvibes

Since we've no trip to WDW planned :sad2: , we're thinking of visiting DLP in December for a few days and want to stay on-site. I'd like your opinions on the Hotel Santa Fe and Cheyenne. What are they like? The rooms look quite small! Is there much difference between these hotels and the likes of Newport Bay and Sequoia Lodge??

:flower:

I've stayed at Santa Fe (2000) and Newport Bay (2003).

I don't consider the Santa Fe to be the most attractive hotel in the world and you have to go outside to get to reception and dining room for breakfast. But if you only intend to use it as somewhere to sleep and it's more in line with your budget then it's absolutely fine.

I much preferred the Newport Bay. The room wasn't much bigger but the setting is beautiful. We had a lakeside view room and the walk into the parks each morning was lovely - it helped that the temperatures were in the 80's.

There is also a pool at NBC - we never used it but you may want to. NBC is a very large hotel - people have posted bad reports about breakfast and queues, we never had any problems and we did stay May half term week, but we usually breakfast early.

If I had to choose between the two I would choose NBC. This year I am staying off site as we are a family of 5 and getting accommodation on site is difficult.

Hope you have a fantastic time whatever you decide. :cool1:

Hi Cath - welcome to the DLP board!!!! :wave2:

If you only want to stay at the budget hotels, then the general opinion is that the Cheyenne is more fun and more attractive than the Santa Fe. Especially for your two DSs!

As you're planning on going in December, then it might be worth thinking about the Sequioa Lodge or Newport Bay. As the restaurants and lounges are under the same roof as the rooms (with the exception of the standard SL rooms), it's a big plus if the weather is COLD!! They are also a bit closer to the park - and some people have said that they seem more part of the resort, and not so remote as the Cheyenne or Santa Fe.

FWIW I love the Hotel New York!! :teeth:

Hi Cath,

We are just back from the Cheyenne and its was great kids loved the theme of it it was just like walking down some western town, we walked most times to the parks and back again and i wouldn't say the rooms were that small i went for the Cheyenne as i have a girl of 12 and a boy of 5 and they will not sleep in same bed so bunk beds were great and i managed to get the luggage for the four of us put away no problem they had a hanging bit at the door and 2 chests of drawers the bathroom was reasonable size too if you have any more questions only to happy to help and i have some pictures of the room. Oh and the cocktails in the Red Garter Saloon aint too bad either lol.

Sharon. :wave:

Cath! How lovely to see you over here :cool1:

I reckon your boys would love the Cheyenne. It is definitely worth pricing up the other options though as sometimes you will be surprised by how small an amount it is to upgrade.

I loved the Sequioa Lodge myself :)

When in December are you thinking of going? Keep your eyes peeled for things like free upgrades and 4 for the price of 3 etc. (I have not checked this out myself so this may not apply). There won't be many (any?) deals over the Xmas hols though I don't think :(

Cheers

Karen

My troop much preferred the Cheyenne to the luxury of the Holiday Inn.
Having wandered around the resort I'd say Sequoia Lodge had a nicer feel than Newport Bay Club; although we have not stayed in either.

Cath are you planning research for future floor covering quizzes :teeth:

Reid

Hi Cath! Have you had a look at the hotel sticky? They aren't all there just yet but 5 of them are. I would imagine the Cheyenne with its cowboy theme might be a good choice!

Cath, My vote is for HNY. It is a wonderful hotel with great theming and only a very short distance to park. We have also stayed at NPB but much prefer HNY. Plus during Christmas season, there is an ice rink outside HNY. Apart from HNY I think I would go for Sequoia lodge over NPB or the other budget hotels. We obviously all have our favourites on this board and mine is most definitely HNY-I just feel it is highly underated!!

Hi Cath, nice to see you over here!!

If you definitely want to stay only in the budget hotels (which is what we've always done as we don't spend much time in the room anyway) then I'd spend that little bit extra (won't be much) to stay in the Cheyenne; I'm sure your sons will love the theming!

If you want additional facilities such as a pool, the Sequoia Lodge might be a good idea as it's not too much more expensive than the Cheyenne and although we haven't stayed there yet (going there in November!) I have heard very good things about the Sequoia.

Let us know if/when you book and we'll answer any other questions you have!!

nicola said:
Cath, My vote is for HNY. It is a wonderful hotel with great theming and only a very short distance to park. We have also stayed at NPB but much prefer HNY. Plus during Christmas season, there is an ice rink outside HNY. Apart from HNY I think I would go for Sequoia lodge over NPB or the other budget hotels. We obviously all have our favourites on this board and mine is most definitely HNY-I just feel it is highly underated!!

::yes::

Nicola, I saw this post (third down) on the DLP.info forum - it's good to see something like this!!

Cath, we're just trying to get you to keep upgrading - we'll have you at the Disneyland Hotel in no time!! :teeth:

:goodvibes Thanks everyone for all your help!!!
As always the DIS comes up trumps with info and helpful advice. :wizard:

I did have a look at the 'Sticky' - great info guys!!

I think we might go for Cheyenne, although the Sequoia does look nice too! Oh decisions decisions! :confused3

A main difference between the Chyenne and Sante Fe apart from apperance is that Chyenne has a double and and twin bed in the room. They are also a little more comfortable. Also better theming.

If you are goinf for more than 3 days it can sometimes work out cheaper to get an AP, and that can also get you room discounts as well. Only thing is all the litratureis sent out to you in French.

We stayed in the Santa Fe when taking/paying for several family members and I have to say it was disgusting. Maybe we were unlucky, but the rooms were all dirty, the bathrooms full of mould and the bedding very stained and even torn. I would NEVER stay there again.

Both DD1 and DS have gone using our DVC points and stayed at Hotel New York and they said it was of a comparable standard to a moderate at WDW. If cost is an issue, then go for the Cheyanne and not below. Personally, I thought the Newport Bay looked nice from the outside.

Sorry you had such a bad experience at the Santa Fe, Gill. We've stayed there twice and have been happy with the rooms but I agree that the theming is not so great - the Cheyenne is much better in that respect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter