• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DLR/DCA Photography

blackjackdelta

<font color=darkorchid>Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I have viewed many wonderful photo's of the resorts. What I would like to know is:

Where is the best accessable place to shoot the fireworks using a tripod but not blocking folks view?
What suggestions would you have for settings in either aperature priority or shutter priority for a digicam?

Please point me to a link or section that deals with photography if there is one. If there is not maybe a suggestion to create a category dedicated to photograhy of the parks, best photo opportunities and the like.

10 days to go..thanks for your time. :badpc:

BJD

Not sure of locations. Our first time to DL is in Dec.

As far as shutter speed and aperature it would depend on your camera.
Is it a P&S or DSLR? Aperatue is probably going to be close if not wide open to reduce shutter time needed.

Ryan

TiggerTails said:
Aperatue is probably going to be close if not wide open to reduce shutter time needed.

Not if he's using a tripod.

Use manual mode.
Try f11 to f13, 2 to 4 second exposures. Take some test shots to make sure you aren't over-exposing the castle.

grim pirate:

If you stay in the back of the hub's seating are, you should be fine with the tripod. DL does have some rules for tripods, though they aren't always enforced. It does annoy the heck out of me when someone uses a tripod in the middle of the seating area, so please stay in the back. Plus you'll probably get better pics from the back. I prefer the show towards the back of the hub because you can see the fireworks better from there.

blackjackdelta said:
I have viewed many wonderful photo's of the resorts. What I would like to know is:

Where is the best accessable place to shoot the fireworks using a tripod but not blocking folks view?

I thought I had read that tripods were not allowed (but have not tried).

If you cannot take the tripod into the park ... we randomly saw the fireworks from the Downtown Disney parking lot (right hand lot as you come in) and while you could not see the castle or hear the sounds, it actually was a nice view.

The best view of the Fireworks for watching is the hub, for photos I highly recomend the Main Street Train Station. I have shot photos from there before, as well as video. I honestly haven't tried with this show yet though, but I would imagine it would be the same. As for tripods, Officially they must fold up to under 16" I believe was the heght requirement and can not extend to more tham 40" high or they can't be brought into the park. Now people do still get them inside the parks, bottom of strollers, etc. Or when the CMs don't pay attention. But also everyone appreciates that you care enough not to block the view of people behind you, if you right in front of the statue of walt (on the side of the castle that is, which I guess would technically be behind Walt) you can stand and have a great view if they don't use that area as a walkway like they wwere doing last Sun. When all else fails go into the photoshop on Main Street and ask, everytime I have had a question about photography around the parks they have been more than helpful.

As for settings.....
Most digital camera have fireworks settings, you can try that, but so far I haven't had much success with that. What camera do you have? If it has Fstops avaialable to it as well as iso levels, set the ISO as high as you can without it becoming noisy and set your fstops up high, then I find I can get good shots with out a tripod with a 3/20 second exposure time, sometimes shorter. Using a tripod, you may want to go for a longer exposure and lower iso to get an even better quality.

Click here for a photo (sorry I can't figure out how to add it to the post) of the fireworks that I took at Disneyworld using the above settings on my Kodak DX7630. I did spend about 45 seconds editing the photo though. For color, brightness, etc. This should give a pretty good idea, this was with no triposd and I was right in front of thier castle.

Longer exposures (with tripod, of course) will give you 'trails':
large.jpg

Shorter exposures (as cmwade77 suggests) 'freeze' the fireworks:

46573014.jpg

That's a nice pic cmwade77

grim pirate:

Love your idea of a photography section. I was wondering if anyone knew a good place to get parade pics. and setting for that on a digital camera. Any other photo ideas would be great. We went to WDW a couple years back with a nondigital camera and I was soo disappointed to see half our pics. didn't turn out when developed. (First family vacation with kids) :sad1: This time we're going digital soo any suggestions would be great :)
Second Family Vacation
:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy:

I am sure that part of the issue would be bandwidth which could be controlled. I am sure that there are numerous folks who would like to post. I normally photography aircraft and racing boats along with other digital sidelines but would really like some nice disney pics for the kids digital albums.
I appreciate all the recommendations, advice and honestly.
The art of a good photographer in a spontaneous settings is to not interfere with others.
Thanks for the tripod info, may switch to a different style.

107 degrees here today, everyone have a great day...

NINE DAYS TO GO :disrocks:

Eeyorecln said:
Love your idea of a photography section. I was wondering if anyone knew a good place to get parade pics. and setting for that on a digital camera. Any other photo ideas would be great. We went to WDW a couple years back with a nondigital camera and I was soo disappointed to see half our pics. didn't turn out when developed. (First family vacation with kids) :sad1: This time we're going digital soo any suggestions would be great :)
Second Family Vacation
:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy:
Depends on if it's the day time or night time version, also if it's ther electrical parade.

Electrical Parade (and similar): No Flash, the light just cancels out the other light and the same settings as for the fireworks will get siumilar results (longer exposure=trails, shorter to "freeze" it, perhaps a bit shortert than for the fireworks as you are closer.

Parade of dreams: Daytime - Sport settings.
Nighttime - Sport Settings + Red Eye Flash, make sure that if performers are doing something that using a flash could make it potentially dangerous, don't take a picture right then (this realyl only applies when they are lookign right at you) but as they never say don't take flash pictures, you can.

Block Party Bash: Sport setting is the only one that I have gotten consitently good results with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter