• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DLR with broken arm

mcm574

Mouseketeer
So my 10-year-old broke both bones in his forearm yesterday. We haven’t been to the orthopedist yet, so don’t know how long he’ll be in a cast - but I want to be prepared to break bad news if it turns out it’ll be through our DLR trip 1/1-1/5. Does anyone know which rides will be off-limits to him if he’s in a cast? Sigh....

So my 10-year-old broke both bones in his forearm yesterday. We haven’t been to the orthopedist yet, so don’t know how long he’ll be in a cast - but I want to be prepared to break bad news if it turns out it’ll be through our DLR trip 1/1-1/5. Does anyone know which rides will be off-limits to him if he’s in a cast? Sigh....
I wouldn't expect it to interfere with the rides.
When you see the orthopedist, ask them if there will be any issues.

If you plan to ride Grizzly River Run, have water protection to cover his cast.

geemo

I broke my ankle and went to Disneyland. It's very doable and even more so with a broken arm as getting around the park does not require use of his arms. A cast or some kind of protective casing/sling should be okay to help keep his arm secure, but the only thing I can think of is that he might have some difficulties getting out of certain ride vehicles. I know that Radiator Springs Racers is pretty low to the ground and you have to climb out kind of high up. Same with Space Mountain. I find the ride vehicle to be very low so you have to use your hand to help you. Just make sure he's aware of the potential for trouble getting out of ride vehicles, but really he should be okay.

My son broke his arm 2 weeks before we went to Disneyworld. The only limitations were swimming (and it was OK as long as we covered the cast.) After we road space mountain (the rougher version at DW) he did say he wished he hadn't gone on it because it hurt his arm. By January I think you will be good!

Oooh, fingers crossed you all are right! (I mean, really, fingers crossed he’s out of the cast before the trip, but if not....) My husband was convinced there would be Todd restrictions due to fear of liability by Disney - but I should remember, he’s a lawyer, so he always assumes the worst about these things!!!:rolleyes1

We have had recommendations here to get a waterproof cast. That plus a protective cover should get you through Splash Mt. (aka Drench Mt.) and GRR. One or the other may be down during your trip dates, but at least he'll be able to ride whichever one is still open.

My granddaughter has done Disneyland with a cast, no restrictions. I highly recommend a waterproof cast, made the 8 weeks so much easier. No cover needed, in fact they recommend you "flood" it once a day.

I haven't went with a broken arm, but I had a condition that made my shoulder to fingers incredibly uncomfortable if touched/moved roughly, etc., and was in a brace. I was there with my hubs, so I generally used him as a cushion. If there were side-by-side seats (and lots are), I just made sure he was on my right (bad) arm side to avoid me hitting it on the side of the ride vehicle.

Definitely get a cast cover of some sort!

My worry was for naught, orthopedist says he should be out of cast by Xmas! Thanks for putting my mind at ease, though!

Just thought of one more ride that might need some caution: Mater's! Look out for slamming into the side of the vehicle on your son's sensitive side. Glad to hear that the doctor says your son will be good to go by your trip dates!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter