DME and expectation for our luggage arrival?

mickeymom629

DIS Veteran
We've taken DME several times but always taken our luggage on ourselves, to be sure it arrives. We are arriving Saturday (staying at AKV) and I'm thinking of letting DME bring our luggage to our resort while we just get on the bus with our carry-ons. I'm nervous about luggage getting lost or arriving very late. Our flight arrives about 2 in the afternoon.

Any bad experiences I should know about?

I always take my bags if we arrive late (say after 6). I think your luggage is supposed to be in your room approximately 3 hours after your flight arrives. I think you’ll be ok letting them take your luggage.

Its usually about 3-4 hours but if there are storms in the area it will be later as luggage handlers are not allowed out if there are lightening ground strikes withtin the 5 mile radius. A lot of time this can be an issue and postpone it.

Should be around the 3 hour mark.

Last fall we made a trip to wine and dine race weekend. The family landed at 3:30, had a LONG Magical Express ride to Kidani and arrived at 6:00. Luggage arrived just after 8:00.

The scare was that I stayed at the Poly the night before to get my race bib and my luggage went via resort transfer with all my running gear. I checked into Kidani just before 6(don't ask, the room wasn't ready til then). My luggage didn't get delivered until 10:15. Not cool with a 2:00 AM Rundisney wake up call.

You should be fine.

3-4 hrs is the norm as PP mentioned - as long as you have what you need in the carry-on to enjoy the rest of the day, you should be fine with 2pm arrival. Very jealous - love AKL!

99% of the bags handled and delivered for Disney guests arrive intact and within 3 hours of your arrival at the Resort. 99% of our bags have made it within 2 hours.
Rare are bags misplaced or delayed more than that. But it can happen. Just like bags can not make it on the plane in the first place. I'd say your odds of the 2nd happening are way more than the odds of Disney misplacing them. If you trust the airlines enough to get the bags to you then you should be able to trust Disney to do it.
Technically, it's Bag's Inc, a company that does nothing but handle bags, that has the contract and gathers and delivers the bags for Disney. Once at the resort, Bell Services takes over and leaves them in your room, while you are off playing and/or having fun in the parks. If it's late and you want to head to bed and you haven't gotten the bags, just give Bell Services a shout, ask them to hold the bags and put the Do Not Disturb sign out. Then call for them in the AM when you are up.

We've taken DME several times but always taken our luggage on ourselves, to be sure it arrives. We are arriving Saturday (staying at AKV) and I'm thinking of letting DME bring our luggage to our resort while we just get on the bus with our carry-ons. I'm nervous about luggage getting lost or arriving very late. Our flight arrives about 2 in the afternoon.

Any bad experiences I should know about?

Someone probably has one, I've had my luggage BEAT me to my room and I've waited 2 to 3 hours.

I always take my bags if we arrive late (say after 6). I think your luggage is supposed to be in your room approximately 3 hours after your flight arrives. I think you’ll be ok letting them take your luggage.

Its usually about 3-4 hours but if there are storms in the area it will be later as luggage handlers are not allowed out if there are lightening ground strikes withtin the 5 mile radius. A lot of time this can be an issue and postpone it.

3-4 hrs is the norm as PP mentioned - as long as you have what you need in the carry-on to enjoy the rest of the day, you should be fine with 2pm arrival. Very jealous - love AKL!

It's 3-4 hours after you arrive at the resort, not after the plane lands.

If your flight arrives around 2, then expect your bags around 6:30 or so. The average time from landing to hotel seems to be 90 minutes. Magical Express aims to have your bags to you within 3-4 hours after you arrive at your resort.

Pack what you need right away in your carry-on. Let Disney handle the rest. Why waste time waiting for your luggage when you don't have to? If you trust the airlines to handle your bags you should have no problem letting the Magical Express team handle them.

for a 2 PM arrival, I think you should be fine. This last time at Bay Lake, we landed around 6, got to Bay Lake around 7 or so, and I am pretty sure our bags for there around 9:30. That said, I had a less than stellar experience in March at Pop Century. I landed a little before 5, and was at Pop Century at about 6:15. So I called at 9:30 wondering about my bag and was told it was there and would be delivered "soon". So I expected the next 30-45 minutes to see it. 11 PM rolled around and I called again and was told they were just getting ready to deliver to my building. I heard him turn to the other cast member and tell him to deliver to my room first since I had called twice already. It showed up at 11:30. I was not too happy, but moved on quickly from that.

I am going again March and my flight lands after 7 (as of now, I expect it will move slightly). I am thinking I may pick up the bag. I am staying at Pop again and after last time, I am not as confident in the time it will take to get my bag. I still have a bit of time to decide and see if my flight time moves at all.

Last fall we made a trip to wine and dine race weekend. The family landed at 3:30, had a LONG Magical Express ride to Kidani and arrived at 6:00. Luggage arrived just after 8:00.

The scare was that I stayed at the Poly the night before to get my race bib and my luggage went via resort transfer with all my running gear. I checked into Kidani just before 6(don't ask, the room wasn't ready til then). My luggage didn't get delivered until 10:15. Not cool with a 2:00 AM Rundisney wake up call.

You should be fine.

Yikes! I sure hope it doesn't take us 2 1/2 hours to get to Kidani! We're traveling with 2 13 month-olds... :crazy2: We won't have car seats...so no other options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter