DME to a different hotel with a minor

disneygirl1972

DIS Veteran
Hi all!! We have a bit of a different transportation situation. We will have a minor flying in with us to meet up with her parents who need to arrive one day prior. We are staying at different Disney resorts. Is there a way to work it out with DME that she rides to our hotel to meet up with her family?

Hi all!! We have a bit of a different transportation situation. We will have a minor flying in with us to meet up with her parents who need to arrive one day prior. We are staying at different Disney resorts. Is there a way to work it out with DME that she rides to our hotel to meet up with her family?
My gut says "no", but if you contact DME in advance and explain the situation, they may allow it. How old is the minor? Or they may allow one of the parents an "extra" trip back to the airport.

She is 15, which I now doesn’t seem that young, but her parents will not be able to be at the hotel at the exact time her bus arrives if she travels there alone. I’ll make a call, at the worst we can Uber.

Ask either via phone or at the desk. My parents flew in for my wedding with my 80 year old grandmother who was staying at a different hotel from them. DME allowed my parents to travel via DME to her hotel (pop) and then they jumped on a MK bus and walked to the hotel we were staying at (Contemporary). They were very accommodating about the special circumstances.

If you have room capacity and she stays with you the first night, then you could add her to your reservation at no cost and then she’d be able to ride with you. (This doesn’t work well if you’re on a package- she’d have to have the same tickets as you).

My gut says "yes" but as far as I know the CMs do not have a play book of past experiences of similarly circumstanced guests to refer to and the solution they cobble together that day can be convoluted. Many of the possibilities were hinted on by the preceding replies. I would suggest not giving up if calling in advance gives only "no" answers, and continuing to work with it upon arrival in Orlando.

Last edited:

Are the resorts near each other so that they would be the same bus? Probably not but thought I would ask.

When you check into DME, aren't you told what line to be in for the bus that's taking you to the resort? If so, why not have her come to your line?

Are the resorts near each other so that they would be the same bus? Probably not but thought I would ask.

When you check into DME, aren't you told what line to be in for the bus that's taking you to the resort? If so, why not have her come to your line?

If the resort isn't on that route, you won't be allowed on the bus.

Not sure who you are talking about when you talk about Ubering, but Uber drivers are not supposed to drive unaccompanied minors. It is a violation of both the drivers agreement with Uber and also the rider's agreement with Uber. It could lead to deactivation for a driver, and closing of an account for a rider.

Now, I know full well that some Uber drivers do drive minors, but we're not supposed to. I had a 15 y/o request a ride today, and the look on his face was priceless when I told him no. Seemed like a nice kid, but the risk is simply not worth it.

The CM will scan a Magic Band again prior to boarding, you only have to scan one band but it will show the resort and # of guests.

If your not on a package I would add her to your room for one night (unless it would exceed room occupancy) and book DME for all of you.

Otherwise I would Uber everyone to your resort, book a town car (pricey but you could stop for groceries!) or maybe even look at a one way car rental so you could drive to your resort and then take her to hers after her family arrives and then return the car. There are onsite rentals that will provide transportation back to your resort.

Not sure who you are talking about when you talk about Ubering, but Uber drivers are not supposed to drive unaccompanied minors. It is a violation of both the drivers agreement with Uber and also the rider's agreement with Uber. It could lead to deactivation for a driver, and closing of an account for a rider.

Now, I know full well that some Uber drivers do drive minors, but we're not supposed to. I had a 15 y/o request a ride today, and the look on his face was priceless when I told him no. Seemed like a nice kid, but the risk is simply not worth it.

The op is flying with the teen. The Uber suggestions aren’t talking about sending the teen off, but for the op as well.

And I think that’s a weird rule. Kid’s old enough to fly cross country alone but a rideshare is not allowed? My 13 year old is bigger and stronger than I am. I’m more nervous about me being alone in rideshare or taxi than I would be about him!

And I think that’s a weird rule. Kid’s old enough to fly cross country alone but a rideshare is not allowed?
Well, it's for the kids' own protection. It's not boarding an airplane with 200 other people; it's getting in a car alone with one driver.

Driving unaccompanied minors is actually illegal in many states. I've seen discussion forum posts saying transporting unaccompanied minors is against the law in 40 states. It was posted on the Internet, so it must be correct!

Because a teen or a child on a plane with lots of other people isn't the same as them being alone in a car with one other person. If something happened on the plane, there would likely be witnesses. In a car, no witnesses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter