• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DME when the DVC resorts open?

Lisa75

DIS Veteran
Has anyone heard either way if DME will be running when the resorts open on 6/22?

I submitted my request for July 3rd today. It said it went through. I’ll let you know but I believe they will be available.

Considering transportation costs are included in the line item dues of all the WDW resorts, I'd certainly hope so!

I would think they would have the bus, but I wonder about the luggage part of the deal. It’s only 3 weeks until the first DVC arrive.

I didn’t think about luggage tags since I am doing only carry on

We had to call Member Services over the weekend regarding DME. They informed us that the service will be running; however, we will have to get our own bags and take them to the bus. They will not be handling luggage as this time. This is for a stay from 6/27 - 6/30. We did not ask how long this policy will be in effect.

Interesting. Always thought DME was gratis from Disney as a way to keep folks in site.
That's true. Individuals do not pay for DME, so in that sense, it's free because Disney is paying for it.

But Disney charges/allocates the cost of DME back to each resort. It's part of each resort's operating budget, for both the non-DVC Hotels and the DVC Resorts . Members pay the operating costs of the DVC resorts via their dues. DME is part of the resort's transportation budget, which includes DME as well as transportation to the parks. AFAIK, the buses to DS are allocated to the DS merchants (via their leases), though.

Last edited:
That's true. Individuals do not pay for DME, so in that sense, it's free because Disney is paying for it.

But Disney charges/allocates the cost of DME back to each resort. It's part of each resort's operating budget, for both the non-DVC Hotels and the DVC Resorts . Members pay the operating costs of the DVC resorts via their dues. DME is part of the resort's transportation budget, which includes DME as well as transportation to the parks. AFAIK, the buses to DS are allocated to the DS merchants (via their leases), though.
Apparently once again I am mistaken...
I always thought it was truly gratis, and not just hidden away in a line item charge.

I always remember, years ago, folks saying they could take away the DME freebie anytime they wanted. Supposedly it was “free” when they first implemented it, but that may not last.

So.... either my memory is failing me, or in fact they did start charging for it through the back door of raising room rates (or dues as the case may be).

I am certainly not an expert, and I realize many here have much more in depth knowledge of this stuff, but....
I find it odd they charge you for bus service from the airport, AND to park your car in the parking lot.

Go figure

DVC Members who stay on points do not pay for overnight parking. Parking lots are common elements and maintained by dues.

True Members don’t pay cash at checkout, but isn’t that because it’s built into dues?
So Members do pay for parking, just a different form of payment. Correct?

I thought the reason they can’t charge us for parking is that we have a ground lease. Yes, we are responsible for the maintenance of it..but it’s based on actual expenses, not some arbitrary daily rate that cash guests pay.

I thought the reason they can’t charge us for parking is that we have a ground lease. Yes, we are responsible for the maintenance of it..but it’s based on actual expenses, not some arbitrary daily rate that cash guests pay.
I don’t know. Further, I would think that would get sticky at the shared resorts. I mean, is the parking lot at Jambo part of the land lease?
I always thought, perhaps incorrectly, that the parking charge for non Members was used to cover maintenance.

We had to call Member Services over the weekend regarding DME. They informed us that the service will be running; however, we will have to get our own bags and take them to the bus. They will not be handling luggage as this time. This is for a stay from 6/27 - 6/30. We did not ask how long this policy will be in effect.

Did they send you luggage tags or is this a last minute trip?

I don’t know. Further, I would think that would get sticky at the shared resorts. I mean, is the parking lot at Jambo part of the land lease?
I always thought, perhaps incorrectly, that the parking charge for non Members was used to cover maintenance.

Good question. I think Jambo and WL with CCV are unique in that DVC is in the hotel..so I don’t know if that make a difference in how things are done,

Parking charges are new at the resorts and it has been reported that cash guests staying at DVC are not charged....but not sure how true.

Did they send you luggage tags or is this a last minute trip?

I read a report on one of the other forums here that MDE can not process luggage tags at this time, Her trip was July.

I am waiting to get my email for my early July trip...I’ll report back if they say anything about tags

ETA. I wonder if luggage service at the airport will change due to covid,,

The parking charge the instituted 2 years ago was a pure money grab. It was always included in the price of the hotel room along with DME. It's part of how they always justified a much higher price for their hotels.

The parking charge the instituted 2 years ago was a pure money grab. It was always included in the price of the hotel room along with DME. It's part of how they always justified a much higher price for their hotels.
Oh I’m aware it was a money grab... I just find it very interesting how they can charge you for airport transportation, then charge again for you to park your car (if you drive).
Seems like it should be one or the other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter