• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DME when the DVC resorts open?

Did they send you luggage tags or is this a last minute trip?
It was kind of last minute, we have been moving this trip since the beginning of June. No luggage tags sent and received an email saying they may not be able to send them. When we called we asked for extra tags and that's when we were told we had to pick up our own luggage.

Oh I’m aware it was a money grab... I just find it very interesting how they can charge you for airport transportation, then charge again for you to park your car (if you drive).
Seems like it should be one or the other.
I think, for the most part anyway, people who drive there wouldn't be using the DME and people who use DME wouldn't be driving. So, most people won't get hit twice. Sure, there might be some that rent a car off-site from the airport so they take DME and then have to pay to park their rental car, but I don't think that's the majority. I could be wrong, but those are my thoughts. :)

I think, for the most part anyway, people who drive there wouldn't be using the DME and people who use DME wouldn't be driving. So, most people won't get hit twice. Sure, there might be some that rent a car off-site from the airport so they take DME and then have to pay to park their rental car, but I don't think that's the majority. I could be wrong, but those are my thoughts. :)
DVC Members are always hit twice, as their dues pay for both.
Cash guests who drive also pay twice. They pay directly for parking, plus part of their nightly fee goes toward paying for DME.

I believe I have that correct..??

Oh I’m aware it was a money grab... I just find it very interesting how they can charge you for airport transportation, then charge again for you to park your car (if you drive).
Seems like it should be one or the other.
The resorts that don't have transportation and do have parking lots have line items in the dues that reflect "parking" and not "transportation" (At least Aulani and VGC are this way) since parking lots need to be maintained but there isn't any transportation available to DVC'ers.
So the WDW resorts have to pay to maintain both, and therefore are able to access both whether or not you use both. I've only been to WDW a few times, our first trip we used DME/buses/monorails, as well as parked in the second week of the trip due to our itinerary it was easier to rent a car on-site based off of the excursions we were going on that were off-site, then we returned it at WDW before taking DME home. Have not used parking since then, but yay for dues covering the option?

Last night, MS couldn’t tell me if DME would be running the first week DVC is open. Anybody have a definite from an inside source (bus driver).

Somewhat related to the topic: how many people do you think they will allow on to each bus? We are going in mid-August and I’m trying to decide if we should just rent a car instead of risking long waits to get to Poly.

I tried to call today and DME offices closed and it said cal WDW directly.

Given the wait times due to the current things going on with cash guests, I am not worried.

I changed my flight anyway so my friend and I fly to MCO together from Charlotte.

I may end up renting a car for the day so that we can stop at a store vs delivery service.

According to a CM I spoke with today, luggage will not be transported to the resorts because they cannot print luggage tags at this time.

I read a report on one of the other forums here that MDE can not process luggage tags at this time, Her trip was July.

I am waiting to get my email for my early July trip...I’ll report back if they say anything about tags

ETA. I wonder if luggage service at the airport will change due to covid,,

I lined up MDE for my trip July 30th-August 2nd. My email also says that I will not receive luggage tags. So that is going on at least into early August.

In the reopening guidelines Guest Benefits section, it says DME is operating.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/resorts/#drawer-card-animalKingdomKidani
When I called for extra tags, they said their printing vendors couldn’t supply them right now. MS said the choices are 1) pick up your bags and bring them to DME with you or 2) give them your baggage claim tickets and they would try to get them. Option 2 sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. She also said that due to staffing, if you had DME deliver bags it could take a couple extra hours.

Yikes, hauling all that luggage ourselves isn’t pleasant, especially since we will have extra bags since they aren’t allowing shipping services.

I am hoping this is just temporary while they work through moving people to different resorts.

I lined up MDE for my trip July 30th-August 2nd. My email also says that I will not receive luggage tags. So that is going on at least into early August.

When did you send it? I didn’t get an email for my July 3rd trip

When did you send it? I didn’t get an email for my July 3rd trip

I reserved it last weekend (May 31st) and on June 1st I received an email that said “Unfortunately, do not have the ability to create and mail your confirmation letter and luggage tags before your arrival date. You are still able to utilize all of the services that Disney’s Magical Express provides. Please follow the information provided in this confirmation email in the event your collateral is not received before travel.”

I have no idea what collateral they’re talking about and the email had odd grammatical errors as evidenced by the first sentence of what I quoted above ...the email it weird but it came from the DME Support email address.

Update: I should really read the whole email lol. Below it says: “If you would like to participate in the luggage delivery service that is available for flights arriving between 5:00 am and 10:00 pm, please bypass baggage claim and present your airline baggage claim numbers to the Disney’s Magical Express Representative.”

So, it looks like they won’t email you tags, but you can present the luggage claim tickets and that is how they will identify the bags and transfer them.

That’s good news!

Last edited:
I reserved it last weekend (May 31st) and on June 1st I received an email that said “Unfortunately, do not have the ability to create and mail your confirmation letter and luggage tags before your arrival date. You are still able to utilize all of the services that Disney’s Magical Express provides. Please follow the information provided in this confirmation email in the event your collateral is not received before travel.”

I have no idea what collateral they’re talking about and the email had odd grammatical errors as evidenced by the first sentence of what I quoted above ...the email it weird but it came from the DME Support email address.

Update: I should really read the whole email lol. Below it says: “If you would like to participate in the luggage delivery service that is available for flights arriving between 5:00 am and 10:00 pm, please bypass baggage claim and present your airline baggage claim numbers to the Disney’s Magical Express Representative.”

So, it looks like they won’t email you tags, but you can present the luggage claim tickets and that is how they will identify the bags and transfer them.

That’s good news!

Okay. I submitted mine last week and didnt get a response which usually happens...my flight into MCO was from JFK so not sure if that mattered

I did submit another last night because I changed my incoming flight. Hopefully, I hear something soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter