Do all Kids Races get medals?

TheHamm

DIS Veteran
My 5 year old was furious to complete a half mile kids race this weekend and get a participation medal. I have seen that kids race medals exist, but I would like to know if they get them for all the races or just the mile race. I have her signed up for the 200m dash but now see it specifically calls out the medal for the 1 mile race and not the dashes.

My 5 year old was furious to complete a half mile kids race this weekend and get a participation medal. I have seen that kids race medals exist, but I would like to know if they get them for all the races or just the mile race. I have her signed up for the 200m dash but now see it specifically calls out the medal for the 1 mile race and not the dashes.
All races get them as far as I know.

My 5 year old was furious to complete a half mile kids race this weekend and get a participation medal

Do you mean s/he did NOT get a participation medal?

Just checking one random race event on rundisney and looking at their kid race info: “All kids get a finisher medallion”

Do know that they are rubber, not metal. And if you’ve ever seen the kids slinging them around, you’ll be grateful for that!

For non Disney races, if a medal is important, always always check on their website for that info, and call or email if not clear. It’s well worth knowing in advance to set expectations. And that goes for adults, too.

My local race organization was late to the medals-for-all movement, but their websites always were clear on what races to expect medals for. Worth knowing before signing up, for some people (including me).

Thank you all! I saw it specifically called out in the 1 mile race section and not the dashes and panicked!
I appreciate the heads up on the rubber portion and that my kids will have to work harder to figure out how to injure one another. I set the exception appropriately.
Our local race did state all participants get a medal, but that was not true- they also ran out for most of the 10K finishers, but we didn't get the purple ribbon they had for the kids :)

For non Disney races, if a medal is important, always always check on their website for that info, and call or email if not clear. It’s well worth knowing in advance to set expectations. And that goes for adults, too.
This is a great point. I'm signed up for a race that benefits my nephew's flag football league. In that race, all children run the race for free, but only the adults receive a medal.

I can attest that the 100 meter and kids mile races all give medals to the kids. I believe all races will provide the rubber medallion.
I think one of the best sights at runDisney events is the little kid who is more excited about their medal from the kids race than the parents who are still smiling, but also quite tired after finishing the challenge.

I appreciate the heads up on the rubber portion and that my kids will have to work harder to figure out how to injure one another.

Important for them to have achievable goals. :rotfl:

Our local race did state all participants get a medal, but that was not true- they also ran out for most of the 10K finishers

UGH.

In that race, all children run the race for free, but only the adults receive a medal.

Also might be important for the OP to know that parents can run for free with their kids at the kid events, but only the kids get medals for it. :)

Also might be important for the OP to know that parents can run for free with their kids at the kid events, but only the kids get medals for it. :)
I don't think that I knew that parents could run with their kids for the kids races. Probably because I don't have kids so the kids races are outside my area of interest.

I don't think that I knew that parents could run with their kids for the kids races. Probably because I don't have kids so the kids races are outside my area of interest.

When our daughters did the one mile run last Star Wars race weekend (2018) I had to run with them to keep them running. In the middle of the day. Very sunny. And very hot and humid. I should have gotten a medal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter