Do cast members REALLY appreciate phone cards?

jwann

<font color=FF00CC>Have a ~*~*~ Pixie Dust ~*~*~ k
We recently returned from a terrific 3-day cruise (our second Disney cruise) and this time we purchased a package of several 60-minute phone cards from Sams. I had read that cast members enjoyed receiving them. WE enjoyed giving them out to those people who made our trip memorable.

But it got me thinking......

Are there any former cruiseline cast members who can answer the question, "Do they appreciate these cards and can they REALLY use them?" Also, how many minutes do they actually get when calling from the ship?????

I got lots of hug as I gave them out but I couldn't tell if they were just being nice....

From the response we received when we handed them out to our child's counselors, I would say "Yes". One time, a counselor cried....that is not the norm though.

Also, we remain friends with our Asst Server, and when I asked him he said that they were like GOLD to CMs. At every US port, they get off the ship and find pay phones. He always mentions that not only do the CMs really appreciate it, but it seems to set the guests apart in their memory. And lastly, the CM's families appreciate this. He said that the CM are glad that this idea has caught on with guests.

Dear Goofy Disney,

Thanks for your well written post.

I was watching this thread, as I had already bought my stock of AT&T cards from Samsclub.

I had never thought of the CM's families, and was especially pleased to think that after we spend so much quality time on the cruise with our families, we can help these fine people keep in toughwith theirs.

Jim

nearest Sam's Club is in the Orlando Area and/or if anybody knows if the Cards bought here in Canada work Okay?

TIA

Scratch
pirate:

to give them on top of tipping for those who went above and beyond, or to give them to CM's who normally might not recieve a tip. I don't know how much they would like getting phone cards instead of money??

:hyper: Great information!

I had it on my list for our 12/27 cruise, but was wondering the same thing. We can get ours at Costco, and plan to give them out to those special CMs!

Thanks, again.

Michele:crazy:

I'm hoping that the CMs do appreciate them. I can't think of any reason that they wouldn't appreciate being able to speak to their family. They can't make a whole lot of $. So, anything that makes their money go farther should be a winner!

I have already bought a stack for our cruise this week. No bad - (12) 60 minute AT&T cards for $24.99.

First, to clarify...definitely give them IN ADDITION TO the regular money trip, NOT in place of.
Second, as someone who has been on 34 Disney cruises and who has had the opportunity to chat with CMs when we return, they really do appreciate the phone cards. I've had crew members who've received cards from me on a previous trip come up to me when I return and mention it. Because they are from so many countries, and because many have family members back home, it gives them a chance to call and say hi.
Just keep in mind that although a card might say that it's 30 minutes (or 60 or whatever), the CM may get substantially less time, depending on where they are calling and if they are using a pay phone. But even if it's just a few minutes, I'm sure that any time at all is precious to hear a beloved family member's voice when you're so far from home.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Someone clarify for me exactly what kind of phone cards we should get for them??? Barb, you mentioned that they might not get all the minutes...then do we get some sort of International card or something? Forgive my ignorance, but I have never bought phone cards before.:tongue: :sunny:

Thanks
Lisa

Just make sure that the card can be used for international calling. This should be written somewhere on the package. It will probably still have the number of domestic minutes shown prominently, with the international minutes for various countries hidden somewhere in the small print. We usually get AT&T cards from Sam's Club.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

As long as they are good internationally, it really does not matter where they are bought? It's just that we are having our first Sam's Club opening up here in the TDot and would rather buy here if I could.

TIA

Scratch
pirate:

Yep, just read the package...the package usually shows how many minutes for calling locally, long distance, internationally etc.

From personal experience I would say that yes they are very appreciated. On our last cruise our server and asst. server couldn't stop thanking us in the morning. They seemed genuinely thankful for the phone cards that we added to their tip envelopes.

I actually use them to tip people I normally would not tip. Last time I gave one to a particularly kind guest services person a few bartenders and one CM in the kids club. They definately should not replace traditional tipping!

We once gave a card to a friend we made at Guest Services. He was obviously overwhelmed. He is not one who would normally get tipped, so I think he was quite appreciative.

And yes as everyone has said, cards are in addition to the tipping, and not in replacement of...and for those who you cannot/might not normally tip such as other CMs and Kids Clubs counselors (who are not allowed to accept cash).

I've seen the stack of cards at Sam's many times (as I seem to live at Sam's), and I've never looked to see how much they are. Does anyone know?

Michelle:Pinkbounc

We got a pack of 12 (60 minute cards) for approx. $21 at Sam's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter