Do doctors only call with bad news?

Teacher03

DIS Veteran
I hope I am worrying about nothing. I had blood work done at my doctor's office on Thursday. They called yesterday morning saying they had the results and I should call back. Unfortunately I didn't get the voice mail until today and obviously cannot call back until Monday. It didn't sound urgent, but I am surprised the results are back so soon and that the doctor's office called. Any thoughts?

Mine calls with all results.

Good luck!

with all these Hippa laws, they probably cant leave a message even if its good news

I hope I am worrying about nothing. I had blood work done at my doctor's office on Thursday. They called yesterday morning saying they had the results and I should call back. Unfortunately I didn't get the voice mail until today and obviously cannot call back until Monday. It didn't sound urgent, but I am surprised the results are back so soon and that the doctor's office called. Any thoughts?

Nope ,My gyn called. I was in the drug store getting stuff to go on vacation and I got this call from them, it was his nurse, she sounded so seriousShe said that they had the results of my ultra sound. She told me everything was fine, but from the tone of her first several words I would have thought they had found something, BUT, the other Dr that did my ultra sound told me at the time that everything was just fine.

DS had routine blood work for an annual checkup. The doctor called that same evening to tell me the results-which were all is ok, no issues.

Thanks for the quick replies! It has been years since I've had any blood tests done and it was never that quick and I don't remember a phone call. Thanks for putting me at ease.

The Doctor or the Doctor's Office? My son's pediatrician's office will call with results, I think that's normal. But if the actual Dr. called, and it wasn't a small practice or something particularly concerning, I might worry more.

The Doctor or the Doctor's Office? My son's pediatrician's office will call with results, I think that's normal. But if the actual Dr. called, and it wasn't a small practice or something particularly concerning, I might worry more.

It wasn't actually the doctor, it was the doctor's office. I should have been more clear. I think I am worrying over nothing, as I said, the message didn't sound urgent. I will call first thing on Monday morning.

The actual Pediatrician called me with DSs results this was Thursday! I was surprised it was the dr. and not the nurse or someone else in the office. My initial thought was something is wrong when he introduced himself, but no all was ok.

My GYN called me one time and it scared me but he told me he calls on all tests so that you don't automatically think something is wrong if he calls.

OH and PS, why do they always call on Friday and we never hear the message and have to wait over the weekend??????? Can't tell you how many times that has happened to me.

My DS5 had a chest xray at 6PM Thursday night. The drs office called at 8:15AM Friday to say it was fine.
I wouldn't worry!

My FL got a call on Mother's Day Sunday a couple of years ago from his kidney doctor that he had the results of his test and to come in on Tuesday,and perhaps he should have someone with him.
My FIL was freaking out, actually cried to me thinking he had cancer or something.
My BIL drove up the 3 hours from MD where he lives, my husband and other BIL took the day off, they all go to the doctor..he's fine, results were fine, the numbers were slightly off, but the dr thought it probably was because he was just getting over being sick when they took the blood. so he retook blood, yup they were all totally fine after that one.

Don't ask me why he called on a Sunday and said he should have someone be with him in the office.

With my doctor, you have to sign a release form for them to be able to leave any info on your answering machine or give info to anyone other than the patient. They call with all results.

Don't be worried! :hug: HIPPA rules changed everything doctor's offices are allowed to do these days.

When I was in the Air Force I had to have an HIV test every year as part of my flight physical and with-in 4 months of any deployment. The last year and a half I was in the service I was pretty busy with short deployments so I was getting the test just about every 4 months. Got a call every time with the negative results.
On the same topic having blood drawn no longer bothers me like it used to.

My FL got a call on Mother's Day Sunday a couple of years ago from his kidney doctor that he had the results of his test and to come in on Tuesday,and perhaps he should have someone with him.
My FIL was freaking out, actually cried to me thinking he had cancer or something.
My BIL drove up the 3 hours from MD where he lives, my husband and other BIL took the day off, they all go to the doctor..he's fine, results were fine, the numbers were slightly off, but the dr thought it probably was because he was just getting over being sick when they took the blood. so he retook blood, yup they were all totally fine after that one.

Don't ask me why he called on a Sunday and said he should have someone be with him in the office.

I think I would have had a piece of that Dr's *** for lunch, there was no reason for him to scare a patient like this.

with all these Hippa laws, they probably cant leave a message even if its good news

Exactly. My doctors up north usually sent the results in the mail. Here in southern IL they insist you make a separate appointment to come in to discuss them. Extra office call, of course.

My doctor personally calls me with all blood test results, because we are managing several serious conditions and I may need to alter my behavior based on a test result. She follows up with a copy of the test results in the mail, unless I tell her the lab already sent them to me. If I do not answer at home, she will call my cell. This is as I requested per HIPAA. My husband just gets a copy of results in the mail, unless the doctor wants to change a medication due to a test result, in which case she will call him.

People of certain ages or with hearing difficulties are often advised to have someone with them as a matter of course. It does not indicate bad news but a desire by the doctor to have the results heard and understood.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter