• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do I have a claim for Unemployment?

A common guideline is 50 miles, no idea if that applies in CA.

Perhaps do some digging into California's regulations on constructive discharge, which is essentially the situation viewed from OP's perspective. Legally it may be viewed differently.

Good luck. That is understandably a big change.

In MN you would definitely be eligible. I worked as a restaurant manager, my store was closed and all employees were offered positions at other locations. One in particular did not accept the transfer and won their unemployment case. If MN makes you eligible, I'd be shocked if CA didn't.

I've sent an email to HR asking if they can cancel my resignation and accept my transfer. It may not be ideal but it beats having no job at all and I'll find a way to make it work if they accept me back.

I've sent an email to HR asking if they can cancel my resignation and accept my transfer. It may not be ideal but it beats having no job at all and I'll find a way to make it work if they accept me back.

I wish you had asked us how to word that email. For instance, saying, "My position at the _____ location is ending on (date.) I would like to transfer to the ______ location after all."

If you said the word resignation in your letter, I don't see how you can possibly apply for unemployment now if there is no position available. They now have a document in which YOU stated you resigned. You try to apply now and they show your document. Game over.

I wish you had asked us how to word that email. For instance, saying, "My position at the _____ location is ending on (date.) I would like to transfer to the ______ location after all."

If you said the word resignation in your letter, I don't see how you can possibly apply for unemployment now if there is no position available. They now have a document in which YOU stated you resigned. You try to apply now and they show your document. Game over.

I didn't say the word resign in the email. I said "if it's not too late to accept transfer."

I didn't say the word resign in the email. I said "if it's not too late to accept transfer."
Good luck - if it does not work out apply for the unemployment the first day you are not working. There is often a week delay before they pay benefits as well so best to get it in as early as possible.

No idea what you did at Nordstrom, but did you look at Lowes and is there one close to you?
They seem to always be hiring and seem to have very good benefits.
I've been considering it myself just as something to do until the market improves.

I would start looking for another job. If you apply for benefits, and I would in your position, it is likely that the employer will dispute your claim. They may lose, however the process is time consuming, and there is no compensation during that process. We have had some that go on for months before a determination is made.

I can't file it until May 3rd but should I designate the reason as Laid Off/Fired, or Quit/Resigned?

Because if the building wasn't closing, I was planning to stay here long term. On the next Quarterly Connect I was going to request an increase in hours.
I would start investigaing the Unemployment Benefits in your state NOW!!! Do it BEFORE your last day. Please be aware that since you didn't reply to the email and effectively voluntarily resigned, they could change your last day anytime!!!

I would start investigaing the Unemployment Benefits in your state NOW!!! Do it BEFORE your last day. Please be aware that since you didn't reply to the email and effectively voluntarily resigned, they could change your last day anytime!!!
I agree. The employers on behalf of whom I have disputed claims have all won them if an employee voluntarily resigned their position. They do use the lack of response to any form of written communication in their claim.

I agree. The employers on behalf of whom I have disputed claims have all won them if an employee voluntarily resigned their position. They do use the lack of response to any form of written communication in their claim.
This depends on a lot on the state - I've fired people for outright theft - had them on camera stealing from the cash drawer and they still got unemployment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter