Do I invite the in-laws?

Jack Kerouac

DIS Veteran
My wife and I just closed on our first DVC contract yesterday and we are planning on staying at Poly for between six and nine nights in September 2023. My wife recently brought up the idea of inviting her parents along and provide them with a studio next to ours. We have more than enough points to stay in a lake view studio for nine nights during this time, but if we invite her parents, we would have to go for a week and stay in standard view studios. This would likely mean more park days and fewer resort days overall, which I'm not crazy about due to wanting to provide my three boys with plenty of time to swim, explore, and get rest from time to time. My parents took us this past April, so the boys have had a WDW experience with their other grandparents. My parents were a huge help on the trip, as my mom did a lot of the planning and she and my dad are active and healthy. I'm just concerned that my in-laws will make the trip more stressful and less fun than if we just went by ourselves. My MIL has mobility issues, neither FIL nor MIL want to go anywhere that is expensive or crowded (and they'll verbally complain about these things), neither are planners, and they prefer to turn in by 4pm to watch tv by themselves. I read a different post where she said her in-laws would just look at her in the parks, wondering what was next and never knowing where things were located because they didn't want to help plan anything prior to the trip. This would happen to me and my wife. I know my wife wants our boys to have memories with their grandpa and grandma, but I just have a difficult time seeing them coming away from a WDW vacation happy they went, and in turn, us happy they joined us. We would only provide the room, so they would have to pay for their plane tickets, park tickets, and food. Part of me thinks we should invite them knowing they are likely to decline due to the costs, walking, and crowds. In the past, we have done quieter weekend trips to places like Door County, WI and Moline, IL with them and they were usually ready to be left alone by day two. Is the magic of Disney powerful enough to overcome these travel differences? I don't want my wife thinking I'm unwilling to invite her parents to WDW, but I think shorter, closer trips would be easier with them. Anyone else travel to WDW with similar companions and have it work out well? Or never again? Thanks!

My in-laws have mobility issues as well. They could barely make it one day at the parks and were physically beat. Before the trip I kept warning them the amount of walking but they kept saying they would be fine. I even asked if they wanted me to rent them a scooter but they were sure they could walk and be fine. After the first day they just couldn’t do anymore walking. We paid for everything so we were out the remaining park tickets and Universal Horror Nights tickets. They felt bad and asked if we could get our money back and hubby told them yes, even though we couldn’t, since we didn’t want them to feel worse than they already did. We do local trips with them now that doesn’t include the amount of walking the theme parks do. Never asking them to join us at Disney again and I highly doubt they would want to go.

Invite them

Most likely they will only be at the parks with you for a limited time
That is probably true. And they may decide to not stay the full number of days we plan on going. I will have to talk with my wife and get her thoughts on different planning options for them.

Don't do it. I'm all for family and occasional trip, but we find being together in that type of setting just is not pleasant.

Others love it. But not me and DH.
My wife is generally better with her parents during trips. But before my MIL really lost her mobility, she would spend more time with us and the boys. My FIL liked sitting in his room by himself. My only thought would be they get to decide how many park days and how long each one is, and then it wouldn't affect us. But my FIL's complaining gets old fast.

My in-laws have mobility issues as well. They could barely make it one day at the parks and were physically beat. Before the trip I kept warning them the amount of walking but they kept saying they would be fine. I even asked if they wanted me to rent them a scooter but they were sure they could walk and be fine. After the first day they just couldn’t do anymore walking. We paid for everything so we were out the remaining park tickets and Universal Horror Nights tickets. They felt bad and asked if we could get our money back and hubby told them yes, even though we couldn’t, since we didn’t want them to feel worse than they already did. We do local trips with them now that doesn’t include the amount of walking the theme parks do. Never asking them to join us at Disney again and I highly doubt they would want to go.
Thanks! This is a basically how I see our trip working out if they decided to go. But if they want to pay their way, I guess I at least would have to be upset about all of the wasted tickets. That had to be a hard pill to swallow.

My MIL passed on every soccer game my middle son (he's five) had this past spring because she was sure the walk from the parking lot to the field would be too much for her.

What I would personally do is take your first trip without anyone else. This way you can experience ownership for the first time without family stressors and even the best of families have those.

I understand you may feel obligated to invite them based on a recent past trip with your parents and perhaps obligated because you now have a timeshare but I personally wouldn't let yourself get bogged down by that.

Why not extend the invitation for a part of your trip? Maybe gift them a 5d/4n stay so you'll still have time without them. As for park tickets, you can suggest they just buy a one day ticket and them upgrade it before they leave the park if they are up to more park time. This assumes park reservations will be available for them for any additional days. You might find they would enjoy resort time too.

I would not recommend it for your first trip. ... or your 2nd, or your 3rd, etc. It's stressful (and costly) enough having our DD and their husbands every 3-4 years. We've tried DVC vacations withother Disney experienced family members, and while it was alright, we have agreed to keep to ourselves now and really enjoy ourselves.

Do you really want to vacation with them, or show off your new DVC ownership. IMO, WDW should not be the first family type vacation/GTG if you haven't had shared trips before.

But you do you, and enjoy yourselves.

My wife and I just closed on our first DVC contract yesterday and we are planning on staying at Poly for between six and nine nights in September 2023. My wife recently brought up the idea of inviting her parents along and provide them with a studio next to ours. We have more than enough points to stay in a lake view studio for nine nights during this time, but if we invite her parents, we would have to go for a week and stay in standard view studios. This would likely mean more park days and fewer resort days overall, which I'm not crazy about due to wanting to provide my three boys with plenty of time to swim, explore, and get rest from time to time. My parents took us this past April, so the boys have had a WDW experience with their other grandparents. My parents were a huge help on the trip, as my mom did a lot of the planning and she and my dad are active and healthy. I'm just concerned that my in-laws will make the trip more stressful and less fun than if we just went by ourselves. My MIL has mobility issues, neither FIL nor MIL want to go anywhere that is expensive or crowded (and they'll verbally complain about these things), neither are planners, and they prefer to turn in by 4pm to watch tv by themselves. I read a different post where she said her in-laws would just look at her in the parks, wondering what was next and never knowing where things were located because they didn't want to help plan anything prior to the trip. This would happen to me and my wife. I know my wife wants our boys to have memories with their grandpa and grandma, but I just have a difficult time seeing them coming away from a WDW vacation happy they went, and in turn, us happy they joined us. We would only provide the room, so they would have to pay for their plane tickets, park tickets, and food. Part of me thinks we should invite them knowing they are likely to decline due to the costs, walking, and crowds. In the past, we have done quieter weekend trips to places like Door County, WI and Moline, IL with them and they were usually ready to be left alone by day two. Is the magic of Disney powerful enough to overcome these travel differences? I don't want my wife thinking I'm unwilling to invite her parents to WDW, but I think shorter, closer trips would be easier with them. Anyone else travel to WDW with similar companions and have it work out well? Or never again? Thanks!
No way. Btw I didn’t read your post. Just the title. 😂

If you want to please your wife, I would offer inviting the inlaws with the CLEAR caveat that they would most likely have many serious problems. After you tell them all the possible kinks in their trip, don't be surprised if they immediately say No Thank You. Yet you'd look good in their eyes and wife's eyes.

All you have to do is explain MDE and Genie+ and insane crowds, long lines, massive walking, overpriced food and heat and you might hear a "Yikes".
Problem solved.

I would share the same thoughts with your wife that you posted here. Sounds like it wouldn't be enjoyable.

Why not extend the invitation for a part of your trip? Maybe gift them a 5d/4n stay so you'll still have time without them. As for park tickets, you can suggest they just buy a one day ticket and them upgrade it before they leave the park if they are up to more park time. This assumes park reservations will be available for them for any additional days. You might find they would enjoy resort time too.
This idea crossed my mind after I posted this. We know they would enjoy the pools and being outside around the resort. They would probably do one day at MK and be done after lunch if they lasted that long.

I talked with my wife about my concerns about inviting them. She understands but wants to think more about it.

If you want to please your wife, I would offer inviting the inlaws with the CLEAR caveat that they would most likely have many serious problems. After you tell them all the possible kinks in their trip, don't be surprised if they immediately say No Thank You. Yet you'd look good in their eyes and wife's eyes.

All you have to do is explain MDE and Genie+ and insane crowds, long lines, massive walking, overpriced food and heat and you might hear a "Yikes".
Problem solved.
Yeah, I am trying to thread the needle where I don’t upset her and she thinks I will only do WDW with my family.

The one benefit we have is my oldest son has ADHD and Disney allows us to “get in line” at a ride and then come back when it’s time to ride. So we usually do that with the rides with long waits and then spend the waiting time on shorter wait rides or grabbing a snack. The one caveat is he has to ride. Otherwise no one can ride.

I would not recommend it for your first trip. ... or your 2nd, or your 3rd, etc. It's stressful (and costly) enough having our DD and their husbands every 3-4 years. We've tried DVC vacations withother Disney experienced family members, and while it was alright, we have agreed to keep to ourselves now and really enjoy ourselves.

Do you really want to vacation with them, or show off your new DVC ownership. IMO, WDW should not be the first family type vacation/GTG if you haven't had shared trips before.

But you do you, and enjoy yourselves.
Not really to show it off. We originally did it to have better accommodations than if we were paying rack prices. So it would allow them a better resort experience compared to just a single trip booked through Disney. They are 75 and 71 and their health isn’t the best. I think that’s the primary concern for my wife.

What I would personally do is take your first trip without anyone else. This way you can experience ownership for the first time without family stressors and even the best of families have those.

I understand you may feel obligated to invite them based on a recent past trip with your parents and perhaps obligated because you now have a timeshare but I personally wouldn't let yourself get bogged down by that.
Wait, I bought a timeshare? 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter