do i need a doc note saying i have a screw inside my body

newholidayx2

<font color=green>Searching for the perfect tree<b
screw was put into my big toe when they did a bunion/osteootomy
this wont go off in the airports, will it?

Whether or not it makes the sensor at the airport go off probably depends on just what kind of metal it is, how big it is and how the sensitivity is set on the scanners at the airport you are are going thru security at.

It's recommended, but not required, that you have a note that tells about implanted devices and where they are on your body.
This is a link to the Transportation Security Administration page about travel with implantable devices.

thanks Sue
this is my first time travelling since my surgery

I see the doc day before I leave

I have two screws in my wrist from a surgery about 7 yrs ago and have flown at least 10 times since then and have never had a problem with getting through airport security. They metal detector has never gone off and I was worried about that the first couple times. I also have to scars on my wrist which are easy to show as proof , but never needed to do that either.

The sensitivity of the scanners can make a lot of difference. I used to have longer hair and often wore one of those clip type barrettes to hold it up. Most of the barrette was plastic, but there is a thin metal piece that actually forms the clip. Didn't look big to me and I had gone thru airport security with it a lot of times without triggering anything.

Then I had it on when I went thru a similar scanner at the county courthouse. The alarm went off and they asked me to empty my pockets (already empty :confused3 ) and asked if I had a belt on (I didn't). Then a security person behind me said "I see what it is, she's got a huge metal hair thing" (said like I had an anvil on my head.) The had me remove it, placed it on the xray machine and I walked successfully in without the alarm going off.

If the alarm does go off in the airport, they will ask you what metal you have (if you haven't already told them before going thru). Then they will use a handheld wand to scan you and locate that the metal is in the area you said you had an implant and no where else causes the handheld scanner to go off.

The plate in my neck is titanium, so it doesn't set off the alarms. Definitely ask your doctor!
It was actually my ds that asked my doctor. Since he is fascinated by the security measures, he was hoping I WOULD set the alarms off!

I Just flew out of detroit in August and set the sensors off. I had a hip replacement 3 years ago. I was more of and inconveince that anything. They just had a female security guard pat me down, then I was allowed to go though. Did not need a note from my doctor. Just answer the questions they ask. Yes they did as me if I had any surgery's or replacements and if so what I had done and on what side.

The only time I have ever been wanded was in Texas. If you have ouchies let them know BEFORE they wand you. I have a bad disc and she patted my back hard which for me actually feels good but some people can hit them sensitive spots around the disc and that could have lead to me throwing out some rib muscles and being in pain from the disc being poked or touched.

I would hate to be the 6 million dollar man, lol. Ding Ding Ding

I have 3 screws in my foot and I asked my doctor about them and airport security. He said for him to give me a note would be a waste of time, since the security would not pay any attention to it. He said just be sure to tell them before you go threw and all should be ok.

i was at the dr today to have my stitches removed. i am flying on saturday and the dr office gave me a note saying that i have 4 pins in my foot and that i am not able to take my boot off to go through the metal detector.

hope you have a great time and everything goes well

I agree with Sue that it depends what kind of metal you have.

I have 35 screws and 5 plates throughout my body (back fusions and jaw surgery) and I've never set off any metal detector (airport, courthouse, etc.). They're all Titanium.

Hope that makes you feel better.

My daughter has a titanium rod in her femur and she set off the alarm in Philadelphia and LAX .

My daughter has a titanium rod in her femur and she set off the alarm in Philadelphia and LAX .
Sorry to hear she set it off. She may or may not at different airports.
Whether it goes off or not also depends on how much metal, how much in one spot and how sensitive they machines are set. A rod in the femur would be a pretty large amount of metal.

I have rods, screws and bracketts in my back - I have a dr's note, but it makes no difference. TSA won't even look at it. I tell them before I go through the detector that it's going to go off due to surgical hardware. They bring me to the side and I get extra screening. Just make sure to account for an extra 15-20 minutes to get through the security screening.

I've had screws holding together one heal since 1999 and have never set off an airport detector.

I highly recommend you have a note from your doctor, just in case. I know someone who set off the Radiation Detector in the White House in Washington DC due to his Radiation treatments 9 months prior to his trip. They shut the White House down until he could get proof from His Doctor that he had undergone Cancer Treatments. Some of the Airport scanners Sniff you in addition to checking for metal objects, so I would be prepared if I have anything that could be called into question.

My younger brother (24) has a big bolt in his knee...acl repair when he was 14, and he has never had a problem. He has even flown to Paris and London since then and had no problems either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter