Do I need RD at CA?

douglasap8

Mouseketeer
We will be visiting Wed. 10/18- Sat. 10/21 and have Oogie Boogie tickets on Thurs 10/19, so no park that day. Assuming we don’t make rope drop after the party, we’ll only have two RD days, the first and last. I was planning DL both those days but am now second guessing if I need RD for the CA day. Any thoughts on this? We will have Genie +.

In other words, would you do two RD at DL, or one each at DL & CA. Thank you.

Last edited:
I'm trying to decide the same. since we're starting in DCA (Aug 17 and the only day RSR will be open, but aren't getting into the parks until about 1pm). We were going to RD DL one day and DCA the next, but now thinking we should RD both days at DL. I'm interested in hearing the replies:)

If you are planning to go on rides during the party you do not need to RD DCA. The lines are short during the party. The exception is typically RSR. But you need a strategy for that regardless.

I have the non popular opinion that rope drop is NEVER necessary at either Disneyland Park. They are often open over 12 hours, usually 16 for Disneyland. I'd say as long as you arrive at 9 or 10am, you can accomplish everything you want without rope dropping, if you plan to stay until closing. You can do all of Fantasyland between 10:30 and midnight on any given day at Disneyland.

It depends a bit on who’s in your party, what they like to do, how close you’re staying, etc. but in May my 8 year old daughter and I had an absolutely delightful time combining early entry and rope drop at DCA. We basically had all of Pixar Pier and the Boardwalk area to ourselves until about 10 AM (it was a Sunday) and did a leisurely tour riding every ride as a walk on in that area. We rode Goofy’s Sky School four times in a row! I think that if you can make it happen, it’s worth it.

With G+, even in October you will be fine not rope dropping every day. The modify feature helps wipe out any disadvantage not booking a LL immediately once had.

That said, it all depends on your parties priorities. When RD at DCA is most useful is if you want to ride Incredicoaster or guardians multiple times with minimal wait. It is not uncommon to have very short waits for incredicoaster (under 10-15) in the am, assuming it’s not down. This is a priority for my boys so we tend to head to DCA earlier than Dland for that reason. If that isn’t a priority then use that RD day at Dland.

You didn’t mention if you have hoppers? For $60 total a ticket I would suggest it, especially in October as it will give you even more flexibility and use out of G+. That would negate some of the RD need as well.

Thanks so much for the feedback, I feel better about our plan now!

We'll have two boys, 14 & 11 with us. And yes, we have hoppers so that also helps the situation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter