• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do I need to rent a car?

JoshF

Mouseketeer
Hi All,

I'm wondering if I should rent a car for an upcoming Disneyworld trip. I'm splitting my stay between Riviera & Poly and have reservations at the parks. I thought I read that if I'm DVC that parking is free. Is this true? What about parking at the parks?

Do most rent cars?

Thanks!

Yes, if you’re staying at a DVC resort on points, resort parking is free. If you’re a DVC owner staying at a DVC resort on cash or other form of payment, resort parking is free. If you’re staying at a DVC resort but paying cash through Disney, you pay for resort parking.

All Disney resort guests park free at the parks.

I don’t think I can generalize about the percentage of guests who rent cars vs. not.

We never get a car if all we are doing are the Disney parks.

And we couldn't imagine being down there without one. I haven't seen the inside of a Disney bus in 15 years and don't care if I never do again. I can be from any resort and walking inside any gate inside 15-20 minutes, sometimes less depending on where we're staying. I like it that way. And we won't even get into food prices and quality just off on 192, Celebration, and Intl. Blvd.

Some like chocolate. Some like vanilla. :)

And we couldn't imagine being down there without one. I haven't seen the inside of a Disney bus in 15 years and don't care if I never do again. I can be from any resort and walking inside any gate inside 15-20 minutes, sometimes less depending on where we're staying. I like it that way. And we won't even get into food prices and quality just off on 192, Celebration, and Intl. Blvd.

I have serious anxiety driving, even in the passengers seat driving in an area we know my husband might find me with my head between my knees, so there is that, lol. We will likely have a car in May (if we even go) as we are doing Universal but I haven't found a good deal yet.

A car would do no good when going from Poly to MK (because MK parking is next door at TTC) and from Riviera the Skyliner is pretty nice to Epcot and DHS, so the only car usage might be to AK?

Maybe take advantage of the ME before it goes away next year. Since you are staying at two Disney resorts, I think Disney will transport your suitcases for you to your next hotel. It's definitely worth calling them to ask. Or it might be cheaper to get an uber to take your luggage from one hotel to the other as opposed to renting a car. Parking at the DVC resorts are free for DVC members, but I think you would still need to pay for parking at the different theme parks. If it were me, I'd just take the ME (assuming your trip is this year) and contact Disney to see if they will transport your luggage from one DVC resort to the other DVC resort. Otherwise, I'd just get an uber to take my luggage from one DVC resort to the next and take the ME to and from the airport. That way, you won't have to pay for a rental car and pay for parking at the theme parks.

You don't have to rent a car. Disney will transfer your luggage to the other resort for you. At least they did before Covid. Magical Express will get you to and from the airport. At least for the remainder of this year. Then buses, skyliner, and boats will get you around Disney.

But if you want to stay away from crowds on these transportation options, then a rental would be recommended. Another reason would be if you intend to leave the bubble of Disney.

Parking is free for anyone staying on a DVC reservation at any DVC resort, including members and renters from DVC members. Also, anyone staying at any Disney resort gets free parking at the parks. As to use for going to the parks, it is often not something to do if going to MK -- the resort buses stop near the front entrance of MK (and from Poly, you just take the monorail or a boat); car parking occurs in a lot that is basically far away from MK where you park, then wait for a shuttle to the transportation center, from which you then wait either for a monorail or a boat to get over to the front entrance area; in other words, even a slow bus from Riviera can often be quicker than a fast car.

Riviera has the Skyliner to Studios and Epcot so likely only park for which a car is needed is AK. From Poly, you can take the monorail from the Transportation center directly to Epcot but driving and parking at Epcot may actually get you there faster. Driving to Studios and AK is the quicker way to get to the front gate.

If you want to go anywhere other than parks a car is definitely the better choice. We usually have a car now, not so much for parks but going elsewhere like Disney Springs, water parks, the Super Target for groceries, a sometimes trip to Universal or Sea World, a trip to another resort that cannot be done by boat or monorail, and trip to the golf courses (Disney provides car or taxi service between resorts and Disney golf courses, but having own car is still the better choice). It is also quicker way than ME for trip between WDW and airport.

Last edited:
We always plan on using ME and always look at rental car rates as a backup. Last week i was able to get an SUV through Hertz for $184 for 6 days. That was enough incentive for me to get a car. We like to visit the outlet malls and other local restaurants/establishments. The price of a counter service at Disney would get you a table service outside.

Yes, if you’re staying at a DVC resort on points, resort parking is free. If you’re a DVC owner staying at a DVC resort on cash or other form of payment, resort parking is free. If you’re staying at a DVC resort but paying cash through Disney, you pay for resort parking.

All Disney resort guests park free at the parks.

I don’t think I can generalize about the percentage of guests who rent cars vs. not.

People have clarified that a DVC owner who stays at any DVC property..even paying as a cash guest through Disney will not have to pay parking.

However, because the systems don’t always talk nicely to each other, owners have reported being charged but got it removed.

I like swirl.

People have clarified that a DVC owner who stays at any DVC property..even paying as a cash guest through Disney will not have to pay parking.

However, because the systems don’t always talk nicely to each other, owners have reported being charged but got it removed.
Yes, I’m one of the people who have clarified that in other posts. Sorry I didn’t include it in this one.

You’re covered at RIV and POLY for MK, HS and EP for transportation. If you’re doing just parks I wouldn’t bother with a car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter