Do kids still wear their names on Disney shirts?

ColoradoLime

wait awhile between eating and goat staring
Back when we went to WDW for the first time we made our own shirts with a name fill design. Then after that I read an article that suggested parents should not have their kids advertise their name like that due to safety issues (strangers pretending to know them, luring them away or whatever).

We haven't worn them on our last two trips solely because I didn't want to put the effort into it. I see all over the DISigns board people still make them so someone has to be wearing them. Truthfully I can't even recall paying attention enough to see if anyone was wearing them but I'm sure they were.

I'm thinking I want to make some for our next trip. And maybe a Halloween theme since we'll be there for the party.

Back when we went to WDW for the first time we made our own shirts with a name fill design. Then after that I read an article that suggested parents should not have their kids advertise their name like that due to safety issues (strangers pretending to know them, luring them away or whatever).

We haven't worn them on our last two trips solely because I didn't want to put the effort into it. I see all over the DISigns board people still make them so someone has to be wearing them. Truthfully I can't even recall paying attention enough to see if anyone was wearing them but I'm sure they were.

I'm thinking I want to make some for our next trip. And maybe a Halloween theme since we'll be there for the party.
I have friends who just did this and their shirts said something like "Cousin Crew: The Quiet One, The Happy One, etc"

We saw a bunch of shirts with last names and relationships, but very few first names. DH and I just did a five day trip with four days of coordinating t-shirts - two sets I bought (She's/He's My Foolish Mortal, His Ellie/Her Carl), and two I made (Her O'Malley/His Duchess, Her WALL-E/His EVE). We got lots of compliments. I wanted to do a Marie one for DD13 ("Their Marie") for our Aristocats day, but she recoiled with horror at the very suggestion.

...an article that suggested parents should not have their kids advertise their name like that due to safety issues (strangers pretending to know them, luring them away or whatever).
I highly recomend never putting your kids name anyplace visible to a stranger. Sadly the creeps are out there, everywhere and it's just not worth the risk.

So funny, all the people who think putting a name on a shirt is the only possible way a "stranger" (and all strangers are bad, right, lol) might learn your child's name. Sorry but when my kids were young, anyone in a 20 foot radius knew my kids' names because I was talking to them, addressing them by name, as parents do. You're going to say your kids' names in Disneyland. And people will hear you. So what's the difference between that and putting a name on a shirt? And why are we assuming that strangers are all creeps who want to hurt your child? If your child gets lost, don't you want to believe that a kind stranger will help? Or do you want to assume that the moment you let your guard down someone will steal your child? Goodness, how people like to assume the worst! What a sad way to live your life.

I think school age children had a Stranger Danger Classroom Film … and It is a worldwide problem. I believe child trafficking awareness is part of cast training . Also security is knocking on your door to enter daily to monitor this possibility on Disney property.
It was “believed” that Anaheim has many registered offenders in the neighborhood …

My husband is in IT Security and – based on multiple trainings he's participated in over several years – is adamant that our child's name cannot be visible to strangers at all times. It is sad but it’s reality.

Each day we go into a crowded area, like Disneyland, we take a picture of our child before leaving the house/hotel so we can describe exactly what she is wearing in case we get separated. At Disney, we still do fun shirts but don’t include names. For example, for our next trip (if it goes as scheduled), we’re going to have coordinating “birthday crew” shirts.

I myself haven't seen many with names. I have seen the crew ones with mom, dad, older brother, etc. But has been a while since I personally seen them...again, the exception has been last year when it was closed.

I was thinking of getting shirts for the halloween party, but most definitely won't be doing names.

We have 3 kids and from the second they have been born, I've watched every move they've made in public like a hawk. If they stray a bit too far from me or my wife, my voice is loud enough to coral them back in. LOL

As the "Dad" I make it my responsibility to know exactly where they are at all times and I have apps on their phones so that I can easily track their locations, now that they are teenagers.

Call me a helicopter parent, call me smothering, I really don't care. It's been my #1 job to keep them safe since they've been born.

I'm with Nancy on this one. If someone has an eye on snatching your kid away, they have better methods than the name on a shirt. It probably only takes a "What's your name, princess?"-question to find that out. Teach your kids how to handle strangers, when to trust, when not, what to do when they get lost. But a name on a shirt is not going to make much difference in their safety when they escape your attention.

It's like with the advice not to keep your passwords on a note. Because a regular burglar taking your tv will not be interested in it. And an online burglar/hacker will have digital ways to find out your passwords.
The regular burglar will keep an eye on your social media accounts, so keep when exactly you will be away to a minimum.

So funny, all the people who think putting a name on a shirt is the only possible way a "stranger" (and all strangers are bad, right, lol) might learn your child's name... ...Goodness, how people like to assume the worst! What a sad way to live your life.
Since the OP asked the question, the responses are just trying to be helpful and perhaps prevent some heartache. While in the grand scheme of abuse, abductions are low compared to other forms of abuse, but the results are tragic. Obviously having a child's name on a shirt is not the only thing to do, but it's one step parents can take to reduce the likelihood of an abduction. Perhaps Disney is a bit safer, and they have good security (at least in the past) but none the less people get in vacation mode and lose track of things. Sadly, I deal with child abuse prevention, so I'm keenly aware of risk and dangers. Is it sad? You bet, but it's the society we're living in right now. My oldest got lost on a day camp trip at Six Flags, but we'd taught him what to do and within a few minutes he was back with his group and never left him scared or upset.

...Each day we go into a crowded area, like Disneyland, we take a picture of our child before leaving the house/hotel so we can describe exactly what she is wearing in case we get separated...
^^^ This 100x this, very smart move. Kids don't even need to know why you are doing it.

another good reason to have a daily photo of child’s clothing for Identification purpose… easy verification for security even once child is located. Actually the security process is probably more detailed than that… makes you wonder how they ultimately verify safety and protection in the instance of lost child at Disney… names on backpacks were popular once upon a time but not anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter