Do Magic Bands Stay On? Worried about losing them.

Supermom3

DIS Veteran
I am wondering about how well the Magic Bands stay on, and if I should order something like a Bit Belt to help keep them in place. I'm travelling with my 4 and 6 year-old nephews, and worried about them losing their bands. Thanks!!

They aren't like a bangle that could potentially fall off. You can adjust them to be as loose or tight as you would like. Unless your nephews are constantly undoing the clasps, there shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure Disney had kids in mind as they designed the product.

They seem to stay on pretty well. Recently had a large family trip that included children and had no issues. Swam with them on also. A slider can be used to secure better, if you have concerns.

The stay well.
I have never had a problem. DH wore his 24 hours a day for 2 weeks and it never came loose.
But.....DS (adult) did lose his part way through a trip. Luckily we had a second one for him.

The only issue I had with mine was on Mission Space orange side the first time I had a MB. I went on no problem. Got off, and was heading over to Character Spot, so I felt for the band knowing they'd need to scan it. No band. I headed back to MS through the gift shop. Told one of the CMs in there I'd lost my MB on the ride and she sent me up the exit area to a couple of the CMs there, one of whom was holding my MB. She didn't seem that surprised that it had come off.

It may have been a semi-freak thing, but I try to remember to take it off if I'm on that or another "fast" ride just to be safe, but I haven't had issues when I've forgotten since that first time.

We've worn a MB for countless hours since they debuted. Never in all that time has one fallen off. If they loose one it's because they tried hard to do so (ie, take them off).
But, if they do, Disney will give you a grey one to replace a lost one.

Unless they take them off, they should stay on. I use the same magic bands as we are passholders and they work just fine each trip. We even did Blizzard Beach and had them on all day and never felt like it was going to come off. I suggest getting those cute little accessories you can pop in to your bands called "BandIts." You can purchase pretty much anywhere on property and the kids are less likely to take it off since it has a cool accessory. They have so many to choose from. I have a few myself :earsboy:

My son lost his MB in the pool last summer. The lifeguard said they find several each day and they turn them in to the front desk. We had an extra one because of a split stay, so it was no big deal, but they can fall off.

My children were 5 & 4 when we went. We had no issues with them at all, didn't even have to mess about with them at any point

I took my 5 & 7 year old and had no problems. When I took my 9 year old she lost hers but it was because it had been set to a size that fit (kid size) several months earlier and she was starting to outgrow it and it would only go in the very last hole. So we ended up getting her a new one in one of the shops in the park. Just keep your cards with you & you can use them in case they get lost or they can use the card to link your ticket or pass to the new band should you choose to purchase a new one.

We have never had a problem keeping magic bands on and that's over a few 11 day trips without ever taking them off. We wore them
on rides, in the pool, to bed sometimes. Never an issue. We actually forgot we had them on most of the time.

I suspect many of the lost bands are from someone not pushing the pins in completely. If you just barely make connection then yes, I bet they do fall off easily. If you push it through tightly I think the chance of them just falling off is slim

I have also encountered a lot, and I mean a lot, of people who do not reduce the size the the bands for kids. I lost track of how many folks I've helped with that. Most tell me even the CMs have no clue that they can be made smaller. I bet some lost ones are also from kids who had the grey portion left on and the band was never small enough.

So yeah, it's possible to loose one but most of the time that's from some error of some sort.

I am wondering about how well the Magic Bands stay on, and if I should order something like a Bit Belt to help keep them in place. I'm travelling with my 4 and 6 year-old nephews, and worried about them losing their bands. Thanks!!
Use sliders.

They stay hooked relatively well, unless one of your nephews fiddles with it ;) In our time going, my 4 year old son has only lost one band. I bring each kiddo an emergency back-up band now just in case each month. If one of them does loose a band, you'll need to visit the ticket center and they'll just cancel his lost band and re-issue him a plastic card to use for the rest of your stay.

Another option if you are worried about one of them loosing their bands is to buy an extra one ahead of time and carry it as back-up. You'll be able to link it and activate it to your MDE account ahead of time and use them interchangeably. There are some listed on the Disney store HERE. If you think either of them might fiddle with/loose their bands, then having an extra might be worth it to avoid what could be an unnecessarily long wait at the ticket center. I wouldn't recommend the little decorative hole fillers though, those seem to pop out pretty easily. (The ones we've had/lost anyways ;) )

Lost one in the parks while drying my hands after washing. After a couple of days the band status was changed to "lost" in MDE, so they must have found it and scanned it.

If you rub the side where they overlap and connect against things, they could come off. Backpacks create a risk - putting the backpacks on and taking them off - as they tend to get caught on the underside of the band. I could also see them coming off in places where kids get rambunctious, like playgrounds or pools, as they might rub the band against something. But under what I will call "park touring" conditions they stay on remarkably well. I have even run a half and full marathon with them on and had no problems.

Of course kids can be unpredictable. Take precautions commiserate with the standard behavior of your child and you should be fine.

Mine from Mission Space WAS completely clasped. So it can happen but apparently is getting more rare.

Based on our experience, I would be a little more worried about the adults losing theirs. They will pop off if they catch on something. Be sure to keep an eye on it when you are picking up, or putting down things. Mine popped off once or twice when I caught it on my purse as I was picking it up or putting it down. I've seen others have the same issue when taking off or putting on a backpack- I've picked someone's MB up off the ground and handed to them when it popped of as they were messing with their backpack. Also be careful if you are lifting or putting down a child and be sure you have it on after doing that, we noticed that is when they tend to pop off quite a bit. Also when swimming, they can catch on the side of the pool if you were holding on to the side and swim away and pop off. We have found one in the pool and turned it in before. We have had a couple of magic band trips and DD never really had an issue with hers, it was DH and I that had both of ours pop off once or twice while doing things. They do stay on pretty well, but you just need to keep an eye on them when you are picking up and putting down things, and be sure you have them before leaving a pool area. Now, a 3 year old might be another story. My friend's DS did not like wearing it, so he yanked it off and threw it in the bushes the first day. (Since Disney bushes can have snakes, you don't want to go digging around in them!)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter