Do most leftover points rent?

Stinkomann20x6

Mouseketeer
heya! Hopefully this is the right place as it’s more of a general question and not an ad to rent.

My wife and I are looking into purchasing a 160 point contract. But we honestly would only use that every two years. I’m just wondering if anyone knows the likelihood of all our other points actually being rented out on the off year we don’t go. If they get posted within a decent amount of time through like David’s is it pretty likely they would all rent out, or would I look at being stuck with a few. Sorry if not wording it very well.

Thanks!

Also as a follow up. We normally do Disneyland every other year but are looking to do Disney World every 5 years or so. There are rarely Grand Californian contracts up so we are looking at Animak Kingdom, so I understand would be less time to book into Grand Californian, any thoughts on if that would be a waste of time getting into GC if we can be somewhat flexible and would plan out as far as we could booking at a non home resort?

Yikes I just a thread saying it’s basically impossible to get into Grand Californian studio without it being home resort. We normally go at non peak times (early May, or early September) a purchase might not we worth it unfortunately for us if we normally do California.

If you know well ahead of time which year's points you won't be using, then my experience says yes. Depending on which resort you're buying into, they may be able to match you with a renter within days. Having said this, you will need to be fairly responsive when you receive a rental request email since those are sent out to a few property owners and the first to respond gets to book the reservation.

David's people are very friendly and can answer many of the questions you may have if you give them a call.

If you know well ahead of time which year's points you won't be using, then my experience says yes. Depending on which resort you're buying into, they may be able to match you with a renter within days. Having said this, you will need to be fairly responsive when you receive a rental request email since those are sent out to a few property owners and the first to respond gets to book the reservation.

David's people are very friendly and can answer many of the questions you may have if you give them a call.

Gotcha thanks! Unfortunate after a month of research I might have talked myself out of it since we mostly do California, I wish I would have been smart enough to think of size of Grand Californian when looking into this loll

Yikes I just a thread saying it’s basically impossible to get into Grand Californian studio without it being home resort. We normally go at non peak times (early May, or early September) a purchase might not we worth it unfortunately for us if we normally do California.

I see listings around $156 pp for VGC. Assuming you would pay to stay for a week at Grand Californian (with tax around $4,700 in early May), you may still come out ahead purchasing a contract. If you do that math, it should make it clear to you whether this is true in your situation or not.

The one thing I would add is owning and renting DVC takes a lot of pre-planning. As a Californian who frequents DL, I can't pre-plan spur of the moment trips that happen whenever SWA has fare sales. However, I can pre-plan our annual WDW trips 11 months out, which makes owning DVC there possible.

I see listings around $156 pp for VGC. Assuming you would pay to stay for a week at Grand Californian (with tax around $4,700 in early May), you may still come out ahead purchasing a contract. If you do that math, it should make it clear to you whether this is true in your situation or not.

The one thing I would add is owning and renting DVC takes a lot of pre-planning. As a Californian who frequents DL, I can't pre-plan spur of the moment trips that happen whenever SWA has fare sales. However, I can pre-plan our annual WDW trips 11 months out, which makes owning DVC there possible.

Yeah that unfortunately isn’t a price we would be paying to stay without DVC (the 4K + tax) the thought of dvc is what made us think we could afford staying at GC finally lol. The planning part isn’t normally too bad for us, we arE IN Oregon and go once every 2 years like clockwork. I think what made it more feasible for us was the though of like 105 pp of an AKL vs the 156 pp kinda puts it out of our price range.

Holding out hope that maybe they’ll add some more dvc resorts in a few years that makes it more doable for us.

Thanks for all your help my friend!

How much time have you spent at WDW? You may want to rent points there for a couple of vacations to get a better feel for the place, you might find yourself wanting to vacation there more than every five years.

:earsboy: Bill

Based on what you posted, I don't think you will be happy with a DVC purchase unless you can find a VGC contract that fits your vacation pattern. You really need the home resort bonking priority there to get a studio, especially for the more popular times. VGC points are currently very easy to rent.

Also, you may be able to get by with a smaller VGC contract by banking and borrowing points to go every year, as opposed to renting out your off-year's points.

I'd suggest holding out for a GC contract, since you'll be going there every other year and you WILL need the 11 month booking window to get a studio there. Having a contract at another DVC resort would put you into the 7 month booking window, by which time there is little, if anything, remaining available at GC.

For your "off" years, you should easily be able to rent out your points at GC either through a broker like David's or through the rent/trade board here.

How much time have you spent at WDW? You may want to rent points there for a couple of vacations to get a better feel for the place, you might find yourself wanting to vacation there more than every five years.

For us I think it’s just the ease of a shorter trip from Oregon. and looking to add one to the family soon. We are doing WDW for the first time in May for our 10 year anniversary and will be there for 2 weeks. I have no doubt we’ll be enjoying it immensely, it just might be ease of access for us and saving WDW for bigger trips. :)

Also, you may be able to get by with a smaller VGC contract by banking and borrowing points to go every year, as opposed to renting out your off-year's points.

Yeah I think that might be the route to go and just hold out for that if possible. Thanks for the advice!

Based on what you posted, I don't think you will be happy with a DVC purchase unless you can find a VGC contract that fits your vacation pattern. You really need the home resort bonking priority there to get a studio, especially for the more popular times. VGC points are currently very easy to rent.
Yeah unfortunately the purchase part it might not work. In my mind I just assumed 7 months out would be plenty of space without doing research on room amount. Glad I found this place to dig a little deeper. Looks like renting for us! :/

While DL may be close when you compare what you are getting for your money, WDW may be a better value and a more enjoyable vacation. Four parks, more resorts to pick from, huge DS, and more restaurants if you like to eat. We grew up living in California and DL was our go to. Went to WDW in 1996 and haven't been back to DL since.

Seems like you could do a 90-100 point contract for VGC, for almost nearly the same price as 160 points at AKV (where you originally wanted to purchase)? That should be around enough for a weekly studio every 2 years (banking points), or a 1BR every 2-3 years banking and borrowing at VGC. Then every 5 years bank and borrow points to stay at a WDW resort.

We are in Oregon as well. Love both parks but DL is our favorite-not just for proximity, but for ease In Planning and touring-we are not folks excited about planning where we want to eat 6 months from now. Bought 100 GCV points resale last summer with a plan to go every other year. Very excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter