Do Not Die Today: Southern California, 2022 (COMPLETE 2/23)

Alison gave me the bat signal and I've been reading the whole report today instead of doing the work I meant to around the house. Thanks! ;) Truly the end of an era but I've enjoyed your writing and seeing your family grow (literally!) over the years. Thanks for letting me crash on this trip! It was so great to see you guys IRL again!

If you need any hints or tips on London, let me know! I did a week there in April and like Alison said, we are spending a few days before our cruise this fall.

Jill in CO

Even though I only started reading your trip reports a couple of years ago, I feel like it's an end of an era. Thank you. You have inspired my family to visit all 50 states by the time my youngest graduates HS in 2028 (So far he has 21, but we have big plans this year!), with a focus on as many NPs as we can get!

I wish you and your family all the best!

Even though I've mostly been a lurker around here, I wanted to say thanks for finishing your report and sharing your travels! I hope you have a great time in the UK!

Definitely an end of an era! Thank you for sharing your family adventures with us - they have been some of my favorite TRs over the years here. Also thankful Julie's health issues were over relatively quickly.

Have fun exploring another country now that you have completed this one!

I am so glad Julie is doing so much better. I will miss reading your reports. You defiantly inspired me to go to the parks and see every state.

No excuse!!
You're right, of course. I have brought dishonor to my family.

Oh, man... yes. Yes, I can relate to this.

Still no excuse, though.
Shame and dishonor. I feel it in my soul.

And me. You've met me, too.

Don't just talk about the people you've enjoyed meeting. Gotta come clean on the bad as well as the good. For verisimilitude's sake.
Well, I mean, I was trying to take the high road here.

And I think we all were very, very happy and breathed a huge sigh of relief when Julie came through all this with flying colours.

Still... no excuse.

:duck:
All that time at home, you'd think I could have posted something.

And thank you for the kind thoughts.

Okay, seriously. Yes, I think we can certainly understand how it'd be difficult to find time to get on here.
I feel the same from time to time... though not nearly as much as you.
You've been through the ringer yourself...I wouldn't dare minimize it or compare problems. We all struggle from time to time.

Great! You can supplement the PB&J with fried eggs on the dashboard.
Mmmm...dashboard grease.

Maybe they need to redraw the park boundaries.
It does make one wonder.

I really don't get how an airline can just... do that, without compensating people.
I believe technically they HAVE to compensate you. But they figured out the loophole--if they make it so onerous to get reimbursed, throw up every obstacle they can, and make it impossible for you to reach someone or get help, they hope that most people will eventually just give up and go away. And sadly, I think it works.

Then again...
Just a few days ago, an Air Canada AI chatbot told someone they could book flights immediately and then get a refund for bereavement later. Only to find out they couldn't. Air Canada was ordered to pay the flier, despite the AI bot being completely wrong.
Yikes. Sounds like a glitch in the Matrix.

Not even a little bit surprised by that. :sad2:
They are the worst. The absolute worst. Someone could make a killing simply by reintroducing the concept of customer service to airlines.

Is there an award for this? I'm thinking there should be. And should look something like this:
1708723363934.png
:rotfl2:That's pretty much perfect.

I put in for Tree-McTree-Place... but that was before the current craze, so was rejected.
It does have a nice ring to it.

"Whelp. Guess we'll skip the park. T'ain't safe."
I love how such a nice, friendly message is posted at the "welcome" center.

I've been unable to sleep all this time because of this.
I knew it! I figured this was one of the biggest mysteries the world was trying to solve.

Like this shot with the tree arcing over. If it's supposed to be Joshua, I guess he's bowing?
I guess?

Nope. Only seen little bits and pieces of it. Must remedy that.
Galaxy Quest is a fun one. Very underrated.

Stunning endorsement!
Getting ready to rush out and buy your plane tickets, I bet.

pie?

Did someone say pie??
::yes::
People are breaking down the door to get pie?!?!?!?!?

<puts at top of places to go>
:rotfl2:Now I'm angry I didn't think of that.

:laughing:
I didn't know that was even an option.
There's always an option to make something more unhealthy in the U.S.

With a place that has "pie" in the name... it'd be criminal not to.
Agreed.

Who does?
Other members of my family prefer cake. I don't know what's wrong with them.

Poor acronym. AACTCCS? What is that?

Then again... poor service/poor acronym... adds up.
Watch TV in the hotel room of course.
That's the best part about traveling--the chance do to things you never get to experience at home.

I have seen it from the outside... and was not overly impressed... except I knew the time frame it came from.
Yeah, the building is nothing special.

Of course.

See what I did there?
I missed this. Truly.

Sounds like a pretty good evening to me. :)
I think we did ok for ourselves.

And try not to think of the responsibilities.
Ugh. Amen to that.

Good enough reason. :)
I think it was worth it. The entire Jackson Hole area is really beautiful and special, too.

Um... what?

No.

That's not possible.
I feel so old.

No way!! That's great!!

So you know how much of a golf nerd I am. The one major championship I have not seen is the British Open. They have a lottery you can enter where you can "win" the right to buy tickets if your name is chosen. And I happened to "win" tickets to the opening round this year. So when that happened, Julie and I looked at each other and said, "Well, I guess we need to try and make this happen now."

So it'll be several days in London and about a week in Scotland. I've been bouncing ideas off our Dis Dad 007 in trying to plan.
Would make for an interesting TR, I'm sure.

<hint><hint>
Maybe it will! I don't want to say never, and it's entirely possible that this trip will inspire me enough to want to share.

But I just look at the speed (or lack thereof) at which I put this one together, and the fact that I haven't been able to follow along on my friends' TR's or even comment much in the DDC, and it's hard to be able to promise anything. I don't see my availability getting any better soon.
Please?
Pretty please? With sugar on top? (And a side of diabetes)
:laughing: Mmmmm....diabetes.

You make a compelling argument.
I'm interested/curious to see what this is. Care to share? (Although I have a suspicion.)
Well, I have an idea for a novel. And I think it could be a really great story if I can translate the images in my head into words on the page. But that's the tricky part, right? That, and finding the time to work on it. And having the discipline to keep going.

So far, I have an intro and three chapters. A long road ahead. And I'm realistic about it, and I know in the end it will probably be read by maybe three people. But it would still feel like an accomplishment, and I want to see if I can do it. I also just really like the story idea.

Thanks for another great Oblivious TR! Worth the wait. :)
As always, thanks for being a great friend, for sticking with me through the long waits and delays, and for reading all of this drivel. I appreciate you for being so faithful to me.

Ah, sounds like true end of an era. But I totally get you!
Well, never say never. I just think given my current situation I can't make any promises anymore. It's been very hard to carve out the time to post here. It's sad, but things change over time.

At least on the trip reports. But how can you come to Europe and not see us here in Germany!!! :sad::sad::sad:
Well, I explained to pkondz above that I got tickets to the Open Championship in Scotland, so that kind of set the destination for us. I think it'll be a good way to test the waters for overseas travel in that I at least can still somewhat understand the language in the UK.

Also, this is ridiculously expensive trying to bring 6 people along. More countries will have to wait until we kick some kids out of the house.

Still: have an amazing trip! I am happy that I know someone very well, who likes to insult you regularly and therefore is great at staying in touch!
Thank you Magdalene! I'm very thankful to have "met" you (and Michael, I guess) here. And hey, you can text me and insult me too.

It has been such fun following along with you and yours all these years. Best wishes for continued good health, safe travels, and happy writing.

Take care!
Thank you for being a faithful and patient reader! I really appreciate all the time you've spent following along with my family and our adventures. These wouldn't be any fun if nobody read them or reacted to them, so thank you for being willing to spend the time.

Wow how can your kids be that old already?
I have been reading your reports for a while and enjoy your writing style.
If you decide to write a report on your future trip I will be one of your loyal readers.
I don't comment much but I take it all in and I have learned that you hate , nope you detest raisins.
Glad to hear Julie is fine now after her health scare.
I know, right? That sure went fast.

We'll just have to see what happens with any future TR's. I can't make any promises anymore. But never say never! I'll post a link here if I do start one later.

Thanks for the well wishes and for being a loyal reader!
When I went to Disneyland in 2017 there was a guided tour you could take through the hotel and they talked about its history.
Cool. I think they have tour in the Wilderness Lodge, too. Or at least they used to.

Thank you so much for your wonderful trip reports through the years. I know they must have been a lot of work but they were funny, interesting and informative. I think I’ve posted it before but your posts played a small part in me traveling to the national parks with our kids. My best to your wife, happy to hear she’s healthy. So if this is truly it for your trip reports, thank you. But if you decide to continue with the “Oblivious’ European Vacation“ please know you’d have many eager readers!

Have a wonderful time!
Honestly, I wouldn't have written these if they weren't fun to put together. I enjoyed re-living the memories and I love trying to make people laugh. Of course, I can't see any of your reactions, but hopefully the jokes landed more often than not.

It makes me very happy to have played any part at all in encouraging you to take your family to national parks. When you find something beautiful that gives you joy, it makes you immediately want to share it with others, so that's what I wanted to do here. Hope you have many wonderful memories.

Thanks for the well wishes! Who knows, maybe I won't be able to resist writing. We'll see.

What a joy and pleasure it has been to follow along in your family's journey. The kids have grown up before our eyes and while we may not "know" each other, I feel like I have learned so much from you guys! We have followed in similar footsteps, making travel a priority for our family. I have zero regrets. It is worth it to sacrifice in other areas to be able to eat pb&j overlooking a national park! 😉

So thankful Julie is on the other side of the health scare, and I know how precious family time is. Enjoy it but know we are always here with welcoming arms if you decide to return and share your European adventure with us!

You're right, of course. I have brought dishonor to my family.
There is only one option open to you…
Shame and dishonor. I feel it in my soul.
Does “seppuku” have one “p” or two?
Well, I mean, I was trying to take the high road here.
Admirable… but misguided.
Mmmm...dashboard grease.
Always good to bring along a snack.
I believe technically they HAVE to compensate you. But they figured out the loophole--if they make it so onerous to get reimbursed, throw up every obstacle they can, and make it impossible for you to reach someone or get help, they hope that most people will eventually just give up and go away. And sadly, I think it works.
I’m positive it does.
Yikes. Sounds like a glitch in the Matrix.
Except this time it worked in favour of Joe Public.
They are the worst. The absolute worst. Someone could make a killing simply by reintroducing the concept of customer service to airlines.
I knew it! I figured this was one of the biggest mysteries the world was trying to solve.
Along with Bigfoot, Nessie and The Bermuda Triangle.
Getting ready to rush out and buy your plane tickets, I bet.
There's always an option to make something more unhealthy in the U.S.
:laughing:
Other members of my family prefer cake. I don't know what's wrong with them.
It’s good that you can easily tell which are adopted.
That's the best part about traveling--the chance do to things you never get to experience at home.
This is true. I do not have a hotel room at home.
I feel so old.
Oh you are.
So you know how much of a golf nerd I am.
The one major championship I have not seen is the British Open. They have a lottery you can enter where you can "win" the right to buy tickets if your name is chosen. And I happened to "win" tickets to the opening round this year. So when that happened, Julie and I looked at each other and said, "Well, I guess we need to try and make this happen now."
Kidding aside, that’s great, Mark! Really!
Very happy for you. :)
Maybe it will! I don't want to say never, and it's entirely possible that this trip will inspire me enough to want to share.
Sure hope so.
But I just look at the speed (or lack thereof) at which I put this one together, and the fact that I haven't been able to follow along on my friends' TR's or even comment much in the DDC, and it's hard to be able to promise anything. I don't see my availability getting any better soon.
Meh. Commit to a chapter every other week or even one a month. That’s not so bad is it?
Well, I have an idea for a novel.
Ah ha! Knew it!

And… excellent!
And I think it could be a really great story if I can translate the images in my head into words on the page. But that's the tricky part, right?
Yes.
I think it was Stephen King who was approached once by someone who offered “I have a great idea for a novel… I’ll tell you it and you write it and we’ll split the profits”
King wrote that he has tons of ideas. That’s the easy part. Writing is the hard part.

Might have been another author.
That, and finding the time to work on it. And having the discipline to keep going.
I can see that.
So far, I have an intro and three chapters.
Really! You’re on your way! Good for you!
A long road ahead. And I'm realistic about it, and I know in the end it will probably be read by maybe three people
Wrong. I’m positive you’d have more than that. I know I’d want a copy. I’m sure I’m not alone there.
But it would still feel like an accomplishment, and I want to see if I can do it. I also just really like the story idea.
You have to write for you… not for others.
As always, thanks for being a great friend, for sticking with me through the long waits and delays, and for reading all of this drivel. I appreciate you for being so faithful to me.
:hug:

I'm sad now. 😭
I know a lot of people have said this while reading my writing.

I noticed you had been mighty scarce round here.....
Yeah...it kinda sucks. I've missed talking with you and my other friends here. I should probably text more often. I'm a horrible text-message-sender.

Yeah responsibility sucks.....but I take time to blow it off and keep coming back here! :laughing:
Good for you! I wish I could do that.

And I'm so glad she came through everything so well! :goodvibes
Thank you! We are breathing a huge sigh of relief here, for sure.

One of the reasons that I love reading your TRs, you always seem to finish them, and I admire that in a TR writer!
Well, thank you! Like I said, I hate leaving something unfinished. It would bother me if I had just abandoned it.

I can see that. I have a lot of friends who like to camp there.
I can see where it would be more appealing at sunset or the evening, rather than in the middle of the scorching heat. Still, we've tried it twice now. We can move on.

I guess I'm lucky. Back when I started flying American again, I got locked out of my online account and I couldn't figure out how to sign in as me (and not Fran). I was able to actually talk to a human being and get it sorted. Of course then she sold me a credit card, but because I needed to start establishing credit (and miles) in my own name, it was the perfect opportunity.
Wow, you reached a live human being?? That's an amazing accomplishment. Teach us your ways, Oh wise Jedi.

Well thank goodness! I have been fretting over that one for a while.
Aha! I knew it was causing a lot of sleepless nights out there!

I'm glad you approved of my choice! :goodvibes
:goodvibes I think you knew your audience (and their 4th-grade palates) very well.

That French Toast is super decadent!!!!
::yes:: Took five years off my life, but it was probably 5 years in a nursing home, so it was worth it.

You have a bigger stomach than me!
No, I'm just fat! Gimme more pie!

I was hoping you would appreciate that.

Yeah, what to do in Anaheim?????
:confused3Maybe the convention center?

This picture is crazy! I know you're barely striking the surface of my Egypt TR, but I'm also writing a TR about my exploits at Disneyland, and in an update or two on that TR, I'm staying in that building that's only half completed in your picture!!!!!
:eek: Wow! Things change quickly there.

I feel so awful that I'm so far behind on your TR's. And I haven't checked in on Liesa in forever. Hopefully I will see the post you're talking about before 2025.
That's always a good solid choice. Pizza hits the spot.
That was pretty good pizza, too! Better than the usual Disney pizza.

Yup, I can say that I've done that on a number of occasions.
I am shocked! Shocked! That you would spend time wandering around Disney.

The feeling is mutual. I have had great joy reading about the exploits of your family and all the adventures.
:goodvibes:hug:

You're too kind. I am very thankful that we got to meet you and Fran, and I continue to be thankful for our friendship. You have been absolutely wonderful to me and my family and it's been a joy to get to know you.

I was kind of wondering about that. I didn't see much even on the other sites where you might have shared pictures.
When I'm traveling, I usually will try and share a few of the best photos each day, just to try and share with friends who care. But I also don't want to be obnoxious and post all the time. So it ends up being, "here's a few highlights."

Wow! That's awesome! Jill and I are going to London for a few days in the Fall before we get on a ship to take us home to the USA. I'd offer you some of our tips, but somehow I'm not sure that our destinations would overlap with a lot of yours....except I KNOW you're visiting the sets of Harry Potter. Sarah would kill you if you didn't do that!
Nice! We're going to do a lot of the touristy stuff in London, so we may overlap a bit there. Something gives me the feeling that we won't be eating at the same restaurants, though. :laughing:

One of the DIS Dads lives in London, so I've been talking to him for some tips. He's probably sick of me by now.

And you're right, I am contractually obligated to go see the Harry Potter sets! :rotfl2:
Well I sure hope that you do! Isn't Drew about to hit his teenage years when parents aren't cool to hang out with anymore? Surely you'll be able to find time in the evenings then????? :confused3 And does Julie want you by her side every night of the week????? Just kidding, but I do hope you find time to write about it. I love hearing your perspective.
:laughing: Yeah, we're losing Scotty to college in the fall. So that means we only have one kid left at home. Although Drew still wants to hang out with us. We're not quite at the "uncool" stage yet (although I'm sure it's coming). But yeah, maybe there will be more time. Who knows?

Between you and me, it's been over 25 years now and I'm still surprised Julie hasn't gotten rid of me yet!

Please tell me you are writing that novel that we all have encouraged you to give a shot over these years of following you! I think you'd write a great quirky book about some character who is deeply flawed in strange ways, but has a giant heart and somehow always seems to save the day.
You are correct! I am trying to write a novel. I am under no illusions that it will actually go anywhere or will ever see the light of day, but I just have an idea I can't shake and I want to try and get it down on paper.

At this point, I don't even know if I will be able to work in exploding helicopters or not.
I have definitely enjoyed my time reading all about your adventures. You have definitely entertained me and made me laugh!
I'm so glad to hear it! And glad you didn't feel like it was a waste of time! :laughing:

Thanks again for being a great friend. :goodvibes

Alison gave me the bat signal and I've been reading the whole report today instead of doing the work I meant to around the house. Thanks! ;) Truly the end of an era but I've enjoyed your writing and seeing your family grow (literally!) over the years. Thanks for letting me crash on this trip! It was so great to see you guys IRL again!
Hey Jill! Good to hear from you! :wave2:

Glad I could give you an excuse to procrastinate. That's what friends do, right?

This may not be the end...I just don't want to make promises I can't keep. Never say never. But if it is the end, thank you for being a faithful reader! I've enjoyed getting to know you, and I'm glad we could see you in California too, so you could also experience the aura of Tour Guide Jeff!
If you need any hints or tips on London, let me know! I did a week there in April and like Alison said, we are spending a few days before our cruise this fall.
Yes, I'll take any tips we can get! We'll be there like 5 days, I think. One of those may be jet-lagged. Doing a lot of the normal touristy stuff like the museums, Churchill War Rooms, Tower of London, Harry Potter, etc.

Even though I only started reading your trip reports a couple of years ago, I feel like it's an end of an era. Thank you. You have inspired my family to visit all 50 states by the time my youngest graduates HS in 2028 (So far he has 21, but we have big plans this year!), with a focus on as many NPs as we can get!

I wish you and your family all the best!
Thank you! I'm thrilled to hear that you're traveling as well. Sounds like you're doing great. What are the big plans this year?

Thanks for reading me over the years. Enjoy your travels!

Even though I've mostly been a lurker around here, I wanted to say thanks for finishing your report and sharing your travels! I hope you have a great time in the UK!
Thank you! And thank you for reading along. I appreciate you taking the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter