Do Not Die Today: Southern California, 2022 (COMPLETE 2/23)

I kind of thought the pier was going to be a standard beach pier! Maybe I'll skip it in case I ever do a Rt 66 road trip. That seems to be the only real reason to really go :rotfl2:
You can get greasy food and crappy t-shirts, or overpay for some underwhelming amusement park thrills. So, totally different than any other beach!

Ok, so I don’t normally spend a lot of time in art museums. The reason I chose this one is because Sarah is a graphic design major, has been taking a lot of art classes, and has been spending a good amount of time exploring the Philadelphia Art Museum over the last couple of years. The Getty is a pretty famous art museum as well so I thought this would be something she could enjoy during her brief time with us.
I was kind of wondering why you chose the Getty, but this makes perfect sense.
We drove up the dreaded 405 freeway (Alison told us they call it that because it takes “four o’ five hours to get wherever you’re going”) but somehow managed to avoid anything except the briefest of delays.
You're lucky! the struggle is real!
Now with that setup out of the way, I need to immediately disappoint you if you were expecting lots of photos of crappy paintings with me cracking wise on them. I looked through my photo album and realized I don’t have any egregious examples of terrible art to poke fun at. I’ll try and do better next time.
I don't think you'll find anything at the Getty that doesn't meet your criteria of art. Their collection is so superior that everything there is excellent.
I’m sure that’s exactly how you all feel whenever I start talking about golf courses.
:lmao: Pretty much That being said, I drive past some golf courses every day and I think they're probably fairly cool. Not 17 mile drive cool, but still pretty cool.
There’s a small garden area for guests to enjoy as well.
Small is understating it, I think.
I was sold on it when I learned that a) they serve giant homemade burgers and milkshakes, and b) the restaurant is located in an old military-style Quonset hut.
Now this place sounds pretty cool, but I doubt we will get there unless I can convince Fran to eat there before a show at UCLA
The hardest part was figuring out how to take a bite out of it.
I can totally see that.
“cacao nibs” (whatever that means)
Chocolate chips.
“I know they have that sign there, but it’s just to scare people,” he said. “Nobody enforces it.”
Good to know. I bet there a lot of those signs around LA.
Even on an overcast evening, the pier was a popular and crowded place. I’d obviously seen it on TV before but didn’t quite know what I was expecting. Basically, if you’ve ever visited a beach with a boardwalk area consisting of greasy concession stands, cheap souvenir shops, and amusement rides, then you’ve seen the same thing you’d find here.
Pretty much. But I remember being a teenager just after my first year of college and thinking it was really exciting and adult of us to visit there and eat crabs. It was probably the most disgusting experience of my life (and I like crabs).
We reached the end of the pier and were able to look back towards the shore. I would not recommend waiting in a long line for that roller coaster. In person, it looked less thrilling than the Barnstormer.
The thrill is that you might possibly die, and that is specifically what you didn't want to do in this TR.
What I learned was that LAX never sleeps. There are five lanes in the road that horseshoes around the arrival gate, and they were all packed with wall-to-wall cars, all jockeying for position depending on whether they were trying to get close to or away from the gates. It was a zoo. I don’t know how we ever found Julie and Drew, but somehow they eventually ended up in our van.
Oh yeah, its a **fun** place to visit and such.
We drove over the mountains, and I’m sure it was very scenic but we couldn’t see a thing.
That's too bad because as you come down the side of the hill there are some neat cactus growing on there.
That way Julie and Drew could settle in and get plenty of sleep before our…

…um…

…6:00 a.m. wake-up time.

Who planned this, anyway?
:lmao:

I was kind of wondering why you chose the Getty, but this makes perfect sense.
Poor Sarah only had 3 days, so I wanted to make sure she enjoyed them!

You're lucky! the struggle is real!
It really did feel like we dodged a bullet there.

I don't think you'll find anything at the Getty that doesn't meet your criteria of art. Their collection is so superior that everything there is excellent.
I'd agree with that. Even if not everything is personally to my taste, you can tell that everything in there required talent to create.

:lmao: Pretty much That being said, I drive past some golf courses every day and I think they're probably fairly cool. Not 17 mile drive cool, but still pretty cool.
It's hard to top 17-Mile Drive for golf course beauty. That's about as good as it gets.

Small is understating it, I think.
It was a nice spot to walk around. It just didn't take very long. :laughing:

Now this place sounds pretty cool, but I doubt we will get there unless I can convince Fran to eat there before a show at UCLA
It was a good spot for a burger and a shake. Pretty tiny, nothing fancy. It's right in the middle of Santa Monica, though, so I don't know that it's convenient for anything you two do.
I can totally see that.
And I have a big mouth, too! Wait, that didn't come out right.

Chocolate chips.
They why don't they just say that? Sheesh.

Good to know. I bet there a lot of those signs around LA.
I'm sure! A sign is only as good as the enforcement anyway.

Pretty much. But I remember being a teenager just after my first year of college and thinking it was really exciting and adult of us to visit there and eat crabs. It was probably the most disgusting experience of my life (and I like crabs).
:rotfl2:I doubt anyone goes to the pier for fine dining! You're supposed to eat garbage there. It's what you do.
The thrill is that you might possibly die, and that is specifically what you didn't want to do in this TR.
:rotfl:I guess it's a good thing I avoided it, then. The line looked like it lasted much longer than the actual ride.

Oh yeah, its a **fun** place to visit and such.
I don't know how we got through there without wrecking the rental van.

That's too bad because as you come down the side of the hill there are some neat cactus growing on there.
I'm sure they're beautiful! I had no idea anything was there.

I have been really enjoying your trip report. Thanks so much for sharing. I’m looking forward to what’s next.

Okay, Mark, all subbed in and looking forward to a brand new trip! I'll be hit and miss for a while, but I'll catch up as I can! :)

AL9nZEW5aD8Dwti7OBXTwSSMkjxff8yRduBIZxBWh27zYlZSrKoTgSfVbh-Ivs1IC-9nW6a87a0zl_3uQW_LLmwokG7Zx_R6OPkjyuwGRO02ztJxZojyP-RiL0bthuaGj_PugTNFGHkY_YQtWp2zTQHL0MK-lw=w1195-h896-no
I really did read it all, and, as always, loved the chapters. You all went to some pretty neat places, some I've never been to in all my years growing up there. I'd definitely put the gardens on a list!

I don't have time to quote a bunch these days but this one photo made me think of a Mickey with a cig. ;)

Okay, Mark, all subbed in and looking forward to a brand new trip! I'll be hit and miss for a while, but I'll catch up as I can! :)
:welcome:Liesa! Glad you're here. I wasn't sure you'd have any free time to read TR's anymore!

Speaking of, I need to get over and join your Italian adventure.

I really did read it all, and, as always, loved the chapters. You all went to some pretty neat places, some I've never been to in all my years growing up there. I'd definitely put the gardens on a list!
Thanks for taking the time! I'm sure you would enjoy the Getty Center. It's a nice setting for sure.

I don't have time to quote a bunch these days but this one photo made me think of a Mickey with a cig. ;)
:rotfl2:There was some debate as to whether this was a Hidden Mickey. I'm gonna say yes.

First two chapters read! I'll be back for the rest, or some of the rest later.
I'm not going to multi-quote everything, at least not until I'm caught up a little. (Huh... I could feel that shudder of yours all the way up here.)

But there are a couple things I wanted to comment on, anyways.

Funny how Southern California looks so similar to Alaska. Must be an East Coast thing.
And there will be plenty of photos of scenery and family members who are far better-looking than I am (see above photo).
He's not kidding folks.

Wait... Mark, you're reading this... hang on... oh, I know... I totally meant you weren't kidding that there'd be plenty of photos.
Sorry, I’m digressing already. Don’t worry, I just hate other people. Not you.
And we didn’t have our PB&J supplies yet,
This is possible? I just assumed you always had a supply on hand.
As the crow flies, it was only about 5-6 miles from Exposition Park, which due to LA traffic is about a 4-hour drive.

Ok, that’s an exaggeration. It’s only about 2 hours.
True. 4 hours would be DC traffic
Now let me add this new rule to the list:

• Dodger Dogs suck.
Noted.
And since we have an excellent Hot Dog place here, I'm not even sad.
one of David’s favorite players in Mookie (yes, that’s his name) Betts.
I don't believe you. Who'd have a name like "Betts"???

I mean... other than Pete Rose or maybe some of the 1919 Chicago White Sox team members.
At one point I got frustrated with a group that chose this particular walkway to hang out and drink their beers that I remarked, “It’s fine, I didn’t really want to see Mike Trout bat anyway.”
:laughing: Sorry, shouldn't laugh, but...
I am saddened to report, however, that most of the Dodger fans were not as stalwart as Ray. Incredibly, even as their own pitcher was throwing a no-hitter, I started seeing the stadium clear out. Wave after wave of cars drove off and left the parking lot. I was stunned. What kind of fan leaves in the middle of a no-hitter?
I'm not a baseball fan. I'll watch the Jays in the playoffs (Well, that was mighty short-lived this year)... if I happen to see the game on. But even I know that a no-hitter is something to watch.

It’s so much easier to adjust to time zone differences when traveling from east to west. Yes, we were up for almost 24 hours on the previous day. But we went to bed by 11:30 p.m. local time, “slept in” that night, and were still up and about by 8 a.m. on Thursday. Staying up late just seems to help us make the switch to Pacific time pretty quickly.
Regardless of the direction of travel, I try to adjust to the time immediately. So if I arrive in the East with zero sleep and it's 8am... I'm gonna try to stay awake until the evening.
Works for me... but you already know I have the strangest sleep pattern in the world.
and then make your way home on less than an hour’s sleep. Because airlines hate you.
:laughing:
before venturing once more into the breach of L.A. traffic.
Interesting you used that.
For years I said that. Then one fateful day, I discovered that Shakespeare actually said "once more unto the breach"...

Whatever... everyone uses "into" now. No one says "unto" or "alack" or "forsooth" anymore either.

Although, that's a shame, I think. Who wouldn't want to use forsooth in a sentence???
SoFi Stadium is one of the newest and most state-of-the-art arenas in U.S. sports.
Gorgeous! I'm impressed.
Want to park your car on game day? That’ll cost you $80.
Uh... what ????
On the western side of the stadium was the “Toyota Patio”, which had a sponsor whose name is slipping my mind at the moment.
Disney. Everything is owned by Disney. I'm sure Toyota is too.
SoFi Stadium is actually three different structures working together as one—the foundation, the stadium bowl, and the canopy are all technically different buildings.
That's pretty cool.
We moved to the best seats in the house, right on the 50-yard line. Looks like that marine layer was burning off and the sun was starting to show through.
Funny how we were just talking about our respective Fog Bowls...
But we were always told that they had a team of snipers on the roofline positioned to instantly take out anyone who even dared to disturb a blade of grass on the field.
Our new best friend let us into the lounge area as well, proving once again the old stereotype that Eagles fans are the nicest, most accommodating people on earth.
... to other Eagles fans?
Anyway, Dave nailed a perfect kick on just his second attempt.
Nice job, all of you. :thumbsup2
Sarah didn’t bother trying, seeing no need to prove herself with these stupid parlor tricks.
Well, sure. Probably too short an attempt for her to waste her time and show you all up.

Pop quiz, hotshot: you have approximately eight or nine hours to kill in Southern California before you have to pick up your wife and son at LAX. You have three teenagers with you and one of them is only going to be with you for two more days before she has to fly back home. What do you do?
Tell 'em to pipe down, I'm taking a nap.

Wrong answer?
So we ended up breaking out the PB&J supplies while we drove.
There it is!
Ok, so I don’t normally spend a lot of time in art museums. The reason I chose this one is because Sarah is a graphic design major,
::yes:: Figured that was the reason.
We drove up the dreaded 405 freeway (Alison told us they call it that because it takes “four o’ five hours to get wherever you’re going”)
I really appreciated her enthusiasm, as well as the fact that she was clearly paying attention in the classes we’re paying outrageous sums of money for.
:rolleyes1
I guess it’s a good lesson that anything can be interesting when you’re with someone who has knowledge and enthusiasm about the subject. I’m sure that’s exactly how you all feel whenever I start talking about golf courses.
Oh, sure. Absolutely.

Yep.

For sure.

Definitely

One ledge held up a unique cactus garden.
Really like that one. ::yes::
We stopped in the bookstore just for something to do. Remember my buddy Steve, who had me get the USC football for him? Well, my kids found a little plush UCLA football and told me I should bring that one back as well and give it to Steve first. Would I blow five bucks just for a stupid little gag?

Absolutely I would.
:laughing: Of course! How could you not???
I ordered the “Paniolo burger”, which consisted of a beef patty, cheddar, beer-battered onion rings and a “Kona coffee bourbon BBQ” sauce. Nothing to complain about here—it was really tasty! The hardest part was figuring out how to take a bite out of it.
That (and the shakes) looks really good. Should remember this for future reference.
Sweet! Free parking in Santa Monica.
This is possible???
There were a few photo spots where you could commemorate reaching the end of the famous Route 66. If, you know, you’d actually driven the whole thing.
Something I'd actually like to do some day. Although I'm not a fan of driving long distances on gravel. Done it plenty and not scared of it, but it sure tears the heck out of the paint job.
As we walked along the path, we crossed a drainage basin that had at least 3 of those rental bikes thrown into the water.
Umm... You've already mentioned the deposit... Just... why??
The kids were begging for a coffee stop,
This jolted me (see what I did there?)
Sometimes, as I'm happily reading along, I forget that your "kids" are mostly... not, anymore.

First two chapters read! I'll be back for the rest, or some of the rest later.
I'm not going to multi-quote everything, at least not until I'm caught up a little. (Huh... I could feel that shudder of yours all the way up here.)
Oh, thank goodness.

But there are a couple things I wanted to comment on, anyways.
Son of a...

I mean, :welcome: pkondz! Glad you're here.

Funny how Southern California looks so similar to Alaska. Must be an East Coast thing.
I'm not used to mountains. Aren't they all the same?

He's not kidding folks.

Wait... Mark, you're reading this... hang on... oh, I know... I totally meant you weren't kidding that there'd be plenty of photos.
Exactly. I don't know any other way to interpret this.

This is possible? I just assumed you always had a supply on hand.
I think PB&J is on the TSA's banned substances list so we always have to pick it up after we arrive.

True. 4 hours would be DC traffic
:faint: There's just no good way around DC.

Noted.
And since we have an excellent Hot Dog place here, I'm not even sad.
Sarah ate her dish pretty quickly. I think she could see us all staring hard at it, with great longing in our eyes.

I don't believe you. Who'd have a name like "Betts"???

I mean... other than Pete Rose or maybe some of the 1919 Chicago White Sox team members.
Ooh, good references there. I'd wager most people would have to look them up.

:laughing: Sorry, shouldn't laugh, but...
:sad2: My fault, thinking people would go to watch the game.

I'm not a baseball fan. I'll watch the Jays in the playoffs (Well, that was mighty short-lived this year)... if I happen to see the game on. But even I know that a no-hitter is something to watch.
::yes:: It would have been pretty special to see in person. We were close!

Regardless of the direction of travel, I try to adjust to the time immediately. So if I arrive in the East with zero sleep and it's 8am... I'm gonna try to stay awake until the evening.
Works for me... but you already know I have the strangest sleep pattern in the world.
I don't know how you're still alive, given your sleep pattern.

But yes, I try to do the same thing. It's a lot harder to stay up after a redeye coming back east, though.

Interesting you used that.
For years I said that. Then one fateful day, I discovered that Shakespeare actually said "once more unto the breach"...

Whatever... everyone uses "into" now. No one says "unto" or "alack" or "forsooth" anymore either.

Although, that's a shame, I think. Who wouldn't want to use forsooth in a sentence???
That comes from the same speech as the "we merry few, we band of brothers" phrase, doesn't it? Now I need to go look it up. (ETA--not the same speech, but the same play: Henry V)

Forsooth, I would not be certain of the proper use of "unto", excepting a situation in which I would be describing a group in a world unto themselves.

You know, it does sound more interesting that way. And here I always thought Shakespeare was overrated, but maybe he was unto something.

There was a writer I used to enjoy named Gregg Easterbrook who used to write a weekly football column called Tuesday Morning Quarterback, which was kind of a mashup of highbrow intellectual topics and analysis with lowbrow goofiness. He would often criticize cowardly decisions such as settling for field goals or punting in enemy territory and would often write it up like: "The Lions punted on 4th-and-2 from the Chargers' 35-yard-line. Surely the football gods would punish such timidity! And yea, verily, it came to pass..."

That kind of phrasing always made me chuckle.

Gorgeous! I'm impressed.
They spared no expense on that place, for sure.

Uh... what ????
I knew California prices were ridiculous, but that was laughable.

Disney. Everything is owned by Disney. I'm sure Toyota is too.
You know, I'm afraid to even argue that.

That's pretty cool.
Learning about the engineering was my favorite part of the tour--I found it fascinating.

Funny how we were just talking about our respective Fog Bowls...
If only that Chicago fog had burned off as quickly.

... to other Eagles fans?
Well, in this case, yes. But who has ever heard of Eagles fans not being kind and courteous?

Don't answer that.

Nice job, all of you. :thumbsup2
Thanks! It's fun to say I kicked a field goal in that stadium.

Well, sure. Probably too short an attempt for her to waste her time and show you all up.
Oh, absolutely. They needed to give her a challenge.

Oh, thank goodness.
We Canucks are known for our kindness you know.
Son of a...

I mean, :welcome: pkondz! Glad you're here.
I'm just getting started.
I'm not used to mountains. Aren't they all the same?
Oh sure. Except where I live. Our tallest mountain is... really just a very small hill.
I think PB&J is on the TSA's banned substances list so we always have to pick it up after we arrive.
Well, sure... but I just assumed you automatically put it in your checked luggage.
Sarah ate her dish pretty quickly. I think she could see us all staring hard at it, with great longing in our eyes.
Did she have the same look as a dog when it's eating and your hand strays too close to the food bowl??
Ooh, good references there. I'd wager most people would have to look them up.
At first I was like "Huh. Really? Thought most people knew about... wait... "wager"? Son of a! He got me!"
I don't know how you're still alive, given your sleep pattern.
Neither do I, actually.
Forsooth, I would not be certain of the proper use of "unto", excepting a situation in which I would be describing a group in a world unto themselves.
Alas and alack! I am undone with your witticisms.

I think I hurt myself on that one.
You know, it does sound more interesting that way. And here I always thought Shakespeare was overrated, but maybe he was unto something.
oy
"The Lions punted on 4th-and-2 from the Chargers' 35-yard-line. Surely the football gods would punish such timidity! And yea, verily, it came to pass..."
If only that Chicago fog had burned off as quickly.
Yeah, ours too... ah well. Before my time. (Mine, not yours.)
Well, in this case, yes. But who has ever heard of Eagles fans not being kind and courteous?

Don't answer that.

Tell 'em to pipe down, I'm taking a nap.

Wrong answer?
Well, I can see that if the question were phrased: what would you WANT to do?

There it is!
You knew it was coming sooner or later.

::yes:: Figured that was the reason.
I try to be a full-service vacation planner.

Oh, sure. Absolutely.

Yep.

For sure.

Definitely
Awesome! I'll make a note to include more golf course discussions in future TR's.

Really like that one. ::yes::
I really liked the grounds and gardens there. Sitting on that ridge overlooking the city, it was a great place to walk around.

:laughing: Of course! How could you not???
It was funny. He refused to even touch it when I tried to give it to him.

That (and the shakes) looks really good. Should remember this for future reference.
Good place! I'd go back.

This is possible???
Sure! I think the lesson here was to ignore all signs prohibiting parking.

Something I'd actually like to do some day. Although I'm not a fan of driving long distances on gravel. Done it plenty and not scared of it, but it sure tears the heck out of the paint job.
I don't know that I'd want to drive the entire route. I know some don't technically exist anymore. And other parts go through parts of the country that...well, visiting once was enough.

Umm... You've already mentioned the deposit... Just... why??
:confused3I'm going to guess some substances were involved here.

This jolted me (see what I did there?)
Sometimes, as I'm happily reading along, I forget that your "kids" are mostly... not, anymore.
And you're not even a coffee drinker.

I can't believe it went by so fast. Sometimes it's hard to even remember what they were like when they were little.

We Canucks are known for our kindness you know.
I've heard that. I guess there's an exception to every stereotype?

I'm just getting started.
Oh. Yay.

Oh sure. Except where I live. Our tallest mountain is... really just a very small hill.
Sounds like Delaware. I think the highest point is my neighbor's chimney.

Well, sure... but I just assumed you automatically put it in your checked luggage.
That would be the one time the jar ended up breaking.

Did she have the same look as a dog when it's eating and your hand strays too close to the food bowl??
::yes:: :laughing:

At first I was like "Huh. Really? Thought most people knew about... wait... "wager"? Son of a! He got me!"
(maniacal laugh)

Neither do I, actually.
Someday they will have to study you for scientific purposes.

Alas and alack! I am undone with your witticisms.

I think I hurt myself on that one.
Alack! sounds like you have a hairball or something.

You're welcome. I'll show myself out.

Yeah, ours too... ah well. Before my time. (Mine, not yours.)
Sigh.

You knew it was coming sooner or later.
Death
Taxes
Oblivious family PB&Js
Awesome! I'll make a note to include more golf course discussions in future TR's.
Yay!

Oh, shoot. I'm busy that day.
It was funny. He refused to even touch it when I tried to give it to him.
I don't know that I'd want to drive the entire route. I know some don't technically exist anymore. And other parts go through parts of the country that...well, visiting once was enough.
I'd want to drive the entire route... Might not enjoy all of it, though.
And you're not even a coffee drinker.
Who says? I've had 4 cups so far.
I've heard that. I guess there's an exception to every stereotype?
Well, maybe you're...

Hey!
Stereotypes being destroyed left right and center.
Sounds like Delaware. I think the highest point is my neighbor's chimney.
That would be the one time the jar ended up breaking.
Huh. Thought you kept that in ziplock baggies. No jar... just the baggie.
Someday they will have to study you for scientific purposes.
men-in-black.gif

Death
Taxes
Oblivious family PB&Js
Yep, sounds about right. I really don't eat them the rest of the year. Just on road trips.

Yay!

Oh, shoot. I'm busy that day.
Oh, no worries. I can re-schedule. Just let me know.

I'd want to drive the entire route... Might not enjoy all of it, though.
I'm sure there are some less-than-exciting stretches. There's just no good way across the Great Plains.

Who says? I've had 4 cups so far.
Over how many years?

Well, maybe you're...

Hey!
Stereotypes being destroyed left right and center.
That's what we do here.

Huh. Thought you kept that in ziplock baggies. No jar... just the baggie.
Ew.

I knew it!

Chapter 5: Change the Channel!
“Great. More boats.” -- Indiana Jones, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

There are certain things we take for granted which need to be taken away in order for us to truly grasp how much we rely on them. Solid ground, for example. We just assume it will be there, ably supporting our steps as we go about our daily business. As it turns out, solid ground is hugely underrated. I’d rank it somewhere on the Underrated List between abundant oxygen and the brake mechanisms on our cars.

We reported to the boat harbor in Ventura, CA at 8:15 a.m. to get checked in for a day trip to Santa Cruz Island, part of Channel Islands National Park. The Channel Islands are a series of eight islands (five of which comprise the actual park) off the coast of California. Two of the islands were given protection as a national monument in 1938, and then in 1980 three more islands were added and the land was designated as a national park.

My family and I are huge national park fans and love to try and visit them whenever we get the opportunity. And yes, we are completists when it comes to these types of things (see: our 50-state quest) and we do take a perverse pride in reaching some of the most out-of-the-way locations just to be able to say we’ve been there. When it comes to our national parks, though, we find that it is almost always worth the effort to see them, no matter how remote they are.

In the case of the Channel Islands, we could have cheated and just entered the Visitor’s Center at the harbor. And lest you think I am somehow above cheating, we have done that at some other parks (Biscayne National Park in Florida comes to mind). But we had a whole day, and “island” is in the park name, so it would have felt wrong not to try and set foot on the islands themselves.

But in order to get there, we needed to get on a boat.

AL9nZEXdiYzokbqInak5KPFX2G3WBtXiC4wDaonil6pb_Aqgt_VF3wgUTVYbBZSBfa9qekOaLfxoRqaZ1fHcgtJCF8T9EeN82RZIj6MacBDAPwPbCgORIMb8HocHgYjq84shpZ_bGZHi1nWB7xrsFWix5DlLoA=w1486-h1114-no

Island Packers Cruises is the official concessionaire for the national park, so we booked a trip with them to the largest of the islands, Santa Cruz. I had originally looked at traveling to Anacapa Island (which is closest to shore) because it was supposed to have very nice views, but after doing some research I learned that the hiking probably wouldn't be enough to fill our day there, and the island happens to be overwhelmed with hordes of very aggressive seagulls. Pass.

So, Santa Cruz Island it was. Our cruise would leave Ventura at 9:00 a.m. and was scheduled to return at 4:00 p.m. The 22-mile journey would take between 1 and 1.5 hours to get to Scorpion Anchorage on the island (they have some cool names there).

We boarded with our group and got settled into a booth in the first-floor cabin. The staff went through the safety spiel, something something life jackets something blah blah restrooms blah blah refreshments available something something something high waves blah blah into the wind blah blah back of the boat if seasick.

Wait, what?

Julie had been paying more attention than me and calmly explained that the crew had informed us that it was windy today, the ocean was choppy, and we'd be heading into the wind on the way out to the island so it was likely to be a very choppy ride. Lovely.

The crew was telling us that if we felt sick, the best spot on the boat was on the first floor at the rear of the ship. Duly noted. We stayed where we were in the cabin.

Once we sailed into the open ocean, we lasted about ten minutes.

Julie was the first to move to the stern, and I was about 30 seconds behind her. The boat was getting tossed like a little kid on a trampoline, and it was definitely making us woozy. The stern was becoming a popular place early in the trip. Julie had found a spot on the bench next to a couple of other nice tourists, facing backwards toward the coast (which gave a nice reference spot for her to fix her eyes upon). By the time I got there, that bench had filled up, so I had to take a spot opposite her on a bench that faced toward the bow. Julie had already struck up a friendship with the people next to her, and after she introduced me they told me about the "facing backwards toward the shore" trick to try and calm my stomach. So I had to spin around at the waist and try and look behind me while the boat got tossed to and fro.

Normally Julie is the introvert and I'm the guy who strikes up conversation with the strangers around me, but this time it was Julie merrily chatting away while I concentrated solely on keeping my scrambled eggs in my stomach where they belonged. I had already reached Stage 1 of Seasickness.

Reminder:
  • In stage 1, you are afraid that you will die.
  • In stage 2, you are afraid that you won't.
In just a few more minutes, the kids had joined us on the stern and we were all white-knuckling the railing and trying desperately to breathe and hold on.

We only had another 45 minutes to go!

I know Julie introduced me to the people around her, but I can't for the life of me remember their names and I think I barely said two words to them the whole trip. My whole world had been reduced to breathing in and out, and staring at the coastline. Eventually the coast disappeared and I had to make do with trying to stare at the horizon. Inside my brain, my thoughts were something like this: "I think I'm sick...no, I'm ok...maybe not...no, I'm ok...don't throw up....I'm ok...I think the captain got his boat license out of a Cracker Jack box...I'm ok...."

I did every breathing exercise I could think of, almost willing my mind to another plane of existence. My stomach roiled inside me, and I could almost pick out individual droplets of water in the air as the waves crash around me. I felt as though I was outside myself, objectively observing my body spun around on that bench. For a moment, I almost felt as though I could understand all those Tim Burton movies featuring Johnny Depp in weird makeup. Or at the very least, I now knew how he came up with his ideas.

I should mention that we all took bonine (a non-drowsy motion-sickness medicine) before climbing aboard. I'm convinced that stuff is a miracle drug, because I've been seasick three times in my life but never once after taking that stuff. This was the closest I'd ever come, but somehow taking that and sitting at the stern kept Stage 2 at bay.

A guy up on deck 2 was not so lucky. About halfway through the trip we heard some of the most horrible retching sounds I've ever heard in my life. It was almost comical--it just sounded so over-the-top. If the guy had been auditioning for a scene in a movie where his character was sick I would have told him to dial it back some. It went on for some time--the poor guy was not having a good day. I'm sure his breakfast had tasted better the first time.

Somehow, against all odds, we made it to Santa Cruz Island. The waters in the harbor were calmer and we eagerly climbed onto the dock and enjoyed the sensation of standing still for a moment. We passed around some bottles of water as well, although we had to be careful not to drink too much because the island had no services whatsoever. Any supplies--food, water, etc.--had to be brought with you and taken back when you left.

That was a manageable concern, however. The larger concern in the back of my head was that I was going to have to make that same boat trip back to the mainland.

AL9nZEX72itgvZE6ooC3hQng9hyvjld9MSr7TErnHsD98aZ_diluIwx4g8ciZxKDJ3NusODyY9RZRO7mjfdXhj-BgScGFk4D0Txyrag0eNRsQISb9Kbtscw4FiFYesVYTkSQJHu3wHWemMeYN6Lgje-zUlV0dw=w1486-h1114-no

The island is popular with outdoors adventurers--they'll take a boat ride out, then camp for several days, spending their time hiking on land and kayaking in the coves along the island's coast. Here are some of the kayakers setting out next to the landing where our dock was.

AL9nZEV4EgSQE_SMAdfLSXrYdN3YuWtzC_SX1S4UnloenUH46GXMgWScOfudwnBrwYGqf6E-x2CceEMb3r613kvCzsFuYl_I8uKlwWWJHuXMBe5o2i6gIsczpHR3_sYdi8vwkaa4KqmdfH9kOTXjSFJT_uG_hg=w1672-h1114-no

Scorpion Ranch is the remains of a small settlement on the island from the early 1900's. It now houses a tiny unmanned visitor center for the park. The important thing here is that we could get a stamp for our national park passport--this one was hard-earned.

AL9nZEWf_4LAtvV2BBuDnvbXOhIYQiCtGf1w6OoeasWmNuIPNiXnn-0wUbh6HY1jCMMw8dY5cm7G38Vz3lRa1J6MreAFq2wx1t5KluW9ajjIgOccI67wv6XahMADllBcOJFYVuCGZrLb83JVK8H64ySTmTTT6w=w1486-h1114-no

We gathered ourselves and then set off on our hike. We had chosen to do a loop trail that led to the Potato Harbor overlook. The entire loop would be 5 miles round trip and included a long stretch along the coast. I assumed that portion would have the best views, so I saved it for last and we set off on the inland portion of the trail.

I was right. This part was uphill and not as exciting.

AL9nZEXcNjhtfX88HJGG26rBfubP4bXiQCVYlxVQjKxAP6PgAbCooQ6pxi7H3hOL-WHjI8qwqRZhDBmiPofmLy-CmGS9esOL34NOSmC6oRtwfODfXJEl-oi2laILMIO1O0KSngdnrIVIz2xh0xTPkujA3LXmQw=w1486-h1114-no

But after a gentle climb for a mile and a half or so, we reached the northern edge of the island and wandered west a bit. There was a spot here where some people had gathered just short of the actual overlook, but they seemed to be enjoying the view here.

AL9nZEX9fd6yVZ6vokJjAKJPFeL1ZelOfpsy5tivUEKTQ6dl_u8gzXO7R-SraffMXbPobZChUNSH8fqDeLtKtnT8yLh9x_kydKeia4qQVJu-GKUintdW9bTeXftEHwCB9b9UBRo7rizkucQCCQV13601ss_5aQ=w1672-h1114-no

We took on the last portion of the trail, climbing a slope and rounding a bend to find Potato Harbor.

AL9nZEXzPf39U_doq-qheVGnRxaLqE8hzUJ7eaJs_bAYEabQsHxvelAFlUuCMz-SCZST0rTXRw49NBxCYOxmA5DJFq0teoNrON795npaJ2euX_DtrsN7PuibiHsF-u-8iTFJshbWqDa1mxbLx0p3peUPDTorwA=w1486-h1114-no

And yes, it's very pretty, but that name is a load of crap. There wasn't a signal potato to be found anywhere. I was at least hoping to be able to munch on some french fries.

It was also extremely windy here, to the point where I almost lost my hat, and I started to understand why those other people had gathered at the spot back down the trail instead. We decided to do the same and have our picnic lunch back down there.

AL9nZEUhg-5SDM1kPv4H2jvL-602QvLyIhdA1ViUMN9RtVBBAS8cXOCqsc9_OgRWSgzEGzxdxRqzuEBJ5aRYhiIZ9HxWPZjhsrZtTT3GoO3S3GxCTs_HcmqAWKKCt5N6Z2tJjqbV9v56MozvJnt_0X3tadubdg=w1486-h1114-no

AL9nZEV5DvrSk8faGcKGvAPv3PLhJpcqEHRdIh-Vif4LK6QAj7Ibaj0lfpnvVDHJDI4pVqgLJhy3ZNvUdznNrkuWixXnrlvXuS9TvkNhLjG3hXH18vtEFBjoAWqd7uhT09XQXk-RjwVMfBP34KmL9SdsAcpkrQ=w1486-h1114-no

AL9nZEV9A7fvk8HScVGynWZhMc1HxGih4NkhP82iGDDNjHh7uL6dj0CeBixCLK7IhnkCF3QDnIlrIGrknYltqcYq8avy_M7wLbiVMpsVHK7yoW9I3nsA0e42aqRPwyEVWBvLxWsa0JIc0hemlIr7_FWuPVZBOg=w1486-h1114-no

No one would call our PB&J sandwiches a gourmet meal, but after you've endured a major battle with motion sickness and hiked all morning on an island with no facilities whatsoever, it's amazing how good a peanut butter sandwich and a bottle of water can taste. Well, not the bottle. The water.

We spent a good part of the afternoon hiking the rest of the loop trail along the northern coastline, enjoying the views.

AL9nZEWeVDl1SzeMcq3ymhQXqV6D1HDwcYO_29uFZgM193As8MwnZTrC5GphLCXpbWtaE6ElaeT2b7sTuhEIQ2YaYPDznhF9dwJXAu346QxnH8h5hZC86edA4HJKwS2PXtA5Uen-vjaUGXhslIlRrMlbdePsmg=w1486-h1114-no

AL9nZEWcpaYXewBn5dKVkEZ_YIuLNl_wRCYOzvelmed8gy1zndIuW5CMHw73QgekGG8x4vkf7BviuBWJaV0ezkhxTiFwIIzw2rw_z0_PVUKAya2ECpWlW5JAKdfxd5haXJz-qYluTLXwmWti613BNed_UdlcOw=w1486-h1114-no

AL9nZEW-20Vy6ZIX3E5D-1af7hXIo2o2crLRYeA9aFJjewHXD5hE4w8s4p-6vzPC6gVG5woX6Vt_vv4cgUR4j6aAZtNxE82IoU3zUk2HAmdZJQUDu9tTgKShPRrOMW2A7ZVR7M_qv8Z2tFYeguDAzQ2R-GbS-w=w1486-h1114-no

Yes, the kids are all faster than us now.

Near the end of the trail, we came to a ridge with a view of Scorpion Anchorage, and could see a boat at the dock. This was not our boat, however--there was an earlier trip back. It simply served as a reminder that we were going to have to get back somehow.

AL9nZEUog1-Ys5UwebvdN4QSl03sI5Dyx-W3saWqb8K_1jUkd7W0D4caYy_sI6Rim8Xg4aLU-MeNGcj6IBcy8AfDWhnhvx2wbpqnTwd6-SmAyumzTHgybf64aaiD8u-9gnfhEA_2NPPoEbPVYX3Pw1x3Ash-Fw=w1486-h1114-no

With the hike done, it was mid-afternoon and honestly, we didn't have much to do at that point. I'd thought the hike would take up most of the day but we'd completed it faster than I thought we would. We took the opportunity to sit down on a picnic bench at Scorpion Ranch and rested our legs for a bit. At one point, I think we even closed our eyes and took a nap.

The island serves as a large nature preserve, and there are several species of plants and animals that only exist here. One is the island fox, and we spotted a couple of them wandering around the grounds, scavenging for food.

AL9nZEWszF6MivsuOeZGXqtpsIa-dszUab8LFwbY-jnCBD3Xn7GvjEE1GQJyGtY3V136fUbL-stDlzj_s2GBmKIbok2h6aVXkpLgCDcVFaFQWBOJrBoodWHhl3CeDc8BL9CuUeLFdRz8EquT7g9Htu0kBFDYYQ=w1672-h1114-no

Another is the island jay (I sense a theme in the naming conventions here), a form of blue jay.

AL9nZEXGAK95r7uPdeHakJkkYq0qz0cGgJ6v9Bm8ALTtTKknAII4IadSGxsGDG2pSkIVkPvHzKSt8699PZLSt6sw_YP1WRD1VAy_AfRXbkkivrw8fMF5-4gCuMAK_ZAQoueosmoZaE3w-uULvhnJlvfcswOqmg=w1672-h1114-no

We wandered aimlessly for a bit and then decided to head to the dock early. Our strategy here was simple--if we were first in line (i.e. Rope Drop Strategy), then we would be able to head straight for the stern and snag the bench facing backwards. So we had to wait for a while, but we honestly had nothing else to do. And--wouldn't you know it?--Rope Drop always works.

When it was time to board, we got our favorite bench. We settled in, tried to steel our bellies, and bid farewell to Santa Cruz Island.

AL9nZEVH70dHSE-KStP9sB1PrnyBcMcoQgzgy0UCwBWiM-peMXeQ4bRG-5EvDOrVhKlliAFCA-5w3oImdosBIugdV_-V5tijwJmU4OJlKXRwWeIM-uONGkwq3BX9iGwQtVb3F3gnPB2F1SD68C8j5VDCCL0fHQ=w1486-h1114-no

Luckily, this return trip wasn't as bad. Moving with the wind helped, so the movement didn't feel quite so dramatic. No word on how the guy on deck 2 was doing, but we figured silence was a good thing.

We returned to Ventura Harbor around 5:00 p.m. and happily climbed ashore. I told you--solid ground is very, very underrated.

Overall, my view of Channel Islands National Park is as follows:
I'm glad I saw it.
I don't feel the need to make that trip again.

Huh. That kind of makes it sound like Carhenge when I put it like that. I would tell you how it ranks in our family's overall rating of national parks if I could ever get my kids to fill it out. They start leaving for college and suddenly it's like they have other priorities or something. Kids.

We still had a drive to Anaheim ahead of us, and it was now The Witching Hour (also known as rush hour) on California freeways. But we had come prepared with a strategy for this, having spent time under the tutelage of Alison, the LA Freeway Sensei. She recommended that we drive to the city of Moorpark, stop and have dinner at a place called Wood Ranch Barbeque, and wait out the traffic before heading to Anaheim in the evening. Not wanting to anger our sensei, that's exactly what we did.

I'd called ahead and made a reservation for dinner, and we actually timed it pretty well, arriving about 5 minutes early. We got seated right away at the BBQ joint and immediately asked for their vegan menu.

Sorry, just seeing if you are paying attention. When you hike five miles and survive the open ocean, Vacation Rules state that you can order as much junk food as you want. So we gorged on ribs, brisket, starchy sides and tri-tip sandwiches.

AL9nZEXTJeAkV9JxMMaoWFmyB17bvGkVg37YIPT4QR3434BoL3pnCMrgkV2OXBWUzcRqMWiutgMJwjSzBvw6NliLbQE5JQdajSnZ7S3IW7B96o4G6YVWWmK7jO6IE86U8xbxpkYZb6fDIyL_WJwnEJe1u7ZKVw=w1486-h1114-no

AL9nZEXt_ikYUx-ecnMBcihxlh4LOZJNqdvb05HrsstuytClZxy_O562r8GZP0Fp1GcmejnoiiEStZKeCeYcTHR1usZ24U_inlX39Jvocrj5WEyk2Zg2-6Rpyh9HmwFUwigDBL79224IIFIHpZWD6xpgBoGcfw=w1486-h1114-no

AL9nZEWy-M07Wc92oWwDikxUo4cGX51NHY-g1VEkmBQTr9rAUeytJ7x5GC0kDhh3UbSCTaIOt7MuMSHD_nmZ33Uql93yCfChD8NIdZWqiF_0mlFoURmX-zVdZETar04kari9Ccv_dHI8I7XTKYA9jC1kgs499g=w1486-h1114-no

All of was very good. We'd gotten off to a good start with our food on this trip.

Afterwards, we made the drive to Anaheim without much incident other than a slowdown here or there. We pulled into the Hyatt Place at the Anaheim Resort/Convention Center after dark and got ourselves checked into a suite. Whenever you enter a new, strange place, it's important to get yourself oriented for security purposes--how is the hotel laid out? Where is the nearest exit? If the elevator is disabled, how do you reach the stairs? And most importantly, what does the alarm sound like?

AL9nZEXYWDyVOBnORRx6g26bdGDz6cjlcMW4jN-_Zg9ijjdgoiU1IcbLhBmqrANy13iVCytwsdrDL21aSuvKdC7qcx4cY4jDsJUzC50wKTBbA3G2DWr9CZ213Ea8iaHjUTgork_epk9IPKE-571q-9gfs2Kb1A=w1486-h1114-no

Ah, yes. It sounds like whoop whoop. I can't tell you how comforting it is to have that information.

Well, now we had our security taken care of and were settled in to a hotel in Anaheim for the next 5 nights. If only there was something worthwhile to do around here.

Coming Up Next: You will meet the Man, the Myth, the Legend: Jeff. When Chuck Norris goes to bed at night, he dreams that he could be Jeff.

Last edited:
Yep, sounds about right. I really don't eat them the rest of the year. Just on road trips.
Did not know that. Figured it was a daily Oblivious Family staple.
Oh, no worries. I can re-schedule. Just let me know.
I will! Hang on... just wait here. I'll get right back to you.
There's just no good way across the Great Plains.
I disagree. There are several:

1668951095239.png

Cross in about an hour.

Or:

1668950707635.png

Cross it in about 20 minutes.

Or:

1668950885790.png

Cross it in under 3 minutes.

Very do-able.
Over how many years?
Almost exactly 40. First one was probably somewhere around January of '82.

As it turns out, solid ground is hugely underrated. I’d rank it somewhere on the Underrated List between abundant oxygen and the brake mechanisms on our cars.
sinking.gif
The Channel Islands are a series of eight islands (five of which comprise the actual park) off the coast of California. Two of the islands were given protection as a national monument in 1938, and then in 1980 three more islands were added and the land was designated as a national park.
The other three islands are mocked incessantly by the other five and have developed complexes.
When it comes to our national parks, though, we find that it is almost always worth the effort to see them, no matter how remote they are.
I'd agree with that. I mean... they're not made national parks because they're uninteresting.
But in order to get there, we needed to get on a boat.
That Marina reminded me of this:
1668952288486.png
(opening scene from Gilligan's Island)

And considering your description of your tour (which, I'm guessing, felt much longer than 3 hours), seems apropos.
and the island happens to be overwhelmed with hordes of very aggressive seagulls. Pass.
finding-nemo-mine.gif
Scorpion Anchorage on the island (they have some cool names there).
::yes::

Unless you arrive in bare feet or flip flops... then it might be cause for concern.
Once we sailed into the open ocean, we lasted about ten minutes.
Uh, oh...
In just a few more minutes, the kids had joined us on the stern and we were all white-knuckling the railing and trying desperately to breathe and hold on.

We only had another 45 minutes to go!
Ugh...
Had a similar thing happen (although, I suspect not as bad) in Hawaii. Managed to not be sick, but the 10 (or so) year old beside me did not fare as well.
I should mention that we all took bonine (a non-drowsy motion-sickness medicine) before climbing aboard. I'm convinced that stuff is a miracle drug, because I've been seasick three times in my life but never once after taking that stuff. This was the closest I'd ever come, but somehow taking that and sitting at the stern kept Stage 2 at bay.
Thanks for the tip. Need to look into that for future reference.
A guy up on deck 2 was not so lucky.
Which immediately made me think of the people immediately below him on deck one.
The waters in the harbor were calmer and we eagerly climbed onto the dock and enjoyed the sensation of standing still for a moment.
Phew! Made it.
That was a manageable concern, however. The larger concern in the back of my head was that I was going to have to make that same boat trip back to the mainland.
Yeah... That had crossed my mind as well.
The island is popular with outdoors adventurers--they'll take a boat ride out, then camp for several days, spending their time hiking on land and kayaking in the coves along the island's coast.
Sounds like fun. :)
Love kayaking.
Did you notice if there were any people on the boat transporting any over? Otherwise... wonder how they get there. I'm thinking a 45-minute powered boat ride means a distance too far to safely kayak over.
Wow, that's pretty.
And yes, it's very pretty, but that name is a load of crap. There wasn't a signal potato to be found anywhere. I was at least hoping to be able to munch on some french fries.
A serious national park oversight.
Awww... :)
No one would call our PB&J sandwiches a gourmet meal,
I called it an Oblivious Family staple. I stand by my description.
it's amazing how good a peanut butter sandwich and a bottle of water can taste. Well, not the bottle. The water.
face palm.gif
Yes, the kids are all faster than us now.
Just tell yourselves that you're wiser and more able to appreciate the finer details.

Just keep telling yourselves that.
One is the island fox, and we spotted a couple of them wandering around the grounds, scavenging for food.
Cool!
Another is the island jay (I sense a theme in the naming conventions here),
I see the theme too. All animals have three letters. Fox, Jay... I'm sure if there were bears, they'd be called b'er.
I would tell you how it ranks in our family's overall rating of national parks if I could ever get my kids to fill it out. They start leaving for college and suddenly it's like they have other priorities or something. Kids.
If you can't count on your kids, who can you count on???

Everybody else.
We got seated right away at the BBQ joint and immediately asked for their vegan menu.

Sorry, just seeing if you are paying attention.
Not cool, Mark!

sheesh
All of was very good. We'd gotten off to a good start with our food on this trip.
PB&J ::yes::

See? Paying attention.

Actually, all that looked really good. No drooling Homer, though.
There it is! There it is!
Well, now we had our security taken care of and were settled in to a hotel in Anaheim for the next 5 nights. If only there was something worthwhile to do around here.
Yeah. Mostly desert, innit?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter