• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do Not Disturb Gone! (BLT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But taking the trash every day isn't a service that Disney is known for. In fact, Disney made it quite clear that DVC does not get the same service that cash resorts receive. If anything Disney is known for not cleaning rooms or taking trash.

Much like the change allowing dogs, this change happened to many people that have already booked. I leave for Disney in 16 days.

I was referring to the other resort, as an example that the only way a person entering your room when you are there becomes a problem is if you let it become a problem. If you are in the room and have the door locked, and they knock, you can go to the door and open it or ignore it, since the door is locked. If you aren't in the room, chances are you aren't even going to know they were in the room. Maybe it's just my general mindset living a big city and working in a neighborhood that is a constant security risk but the last thing I worry about on vacation is that maybe someone will come in my room when I'm not there. Now that they are telling you it might happen, you can prepare for it and move on with your day, or you can choose to be upset about it and what's the use of being upset about if it's going to happen anyway?

I was referring to the other resort, as an example that the only way a person entering your room when you are there becomes a problem is if you let it become a problem. If you are in the room and have the door locked, and they knock, you can go to the door and open it or ignore it, since the door is locked. If you aren't in the room, chances are you aren't even going to know they were in the room. Maybe it's just my general mindset living a big city and working in a neighborhood that is a constant security risk but the last thing I worry about on vacation is that maybe someone will come in my room when I'm not there. Now that they are telling you it might happen, you can prepare for it and move on with your day, or you can choose to be upset about it and what's the use of being upset about if it's going to happen anyway?
I don't care if they come into the room while I am gone.

My problem comes from them wanting to come in while I am there. I nap. I nap while I am at home and I nap while on vacation. Children running up and down the hallways, I can ignore. Generally that sounds distant and hollow. Someone banging on my door? Not so much. And of course, unless my husband leaves and doesn't come back, I can't engage the "chain." So now my husband has two options. Sit there while I nap or leave the room and stay away until I am awake.

Yes, that is enough for me to be concerned. Upset? No. I won't be upset until/unless the housekeeper or "security steward" bangs on my door while we are in the room.

If this change is a deal-breaker for you, then can you switch to a non-Hilton offsite hotel?
I am actually a DVC member. So changing resorts, especially at this late date, isn't really possible.

My problem comes from them wanting to come in while I am there. I nap. I nap while I am at home and I nap while on vacation. Children running up and down the hallways, I can ignore. Generally that sounds distant and hollow. Someone banging on my door? Not so much. And of course, unless my husband leaves and doesn't come back, I can't engage the "chain." So now my husband has two options. Sit there while I nap or leave the room and stay away until I am awake.

Yes, that is enough for me to be concerned. Upset? No. I won't be upset until/unless the housekeeper or "security steward" bangs on my door while we are in the room.

Your other option is to just take your nap and cross the bridge of being awakened by a banging on the door if or when it happens. Your husband can be free to do whatever he wants, you can nap and if on the off chance they try to enter the room while you happen to be napping and it disturbs you, can you figure out how to deal with it then. The reason for concern is about something that may or may not happen and if it does, may or may not even affect you.

I am jealous that children screaming because they don't want to go to bed way past bedtime sounds distant and hollow, though! I wish I could figure out how to make that work that way for me.

I've been to all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean that are similar. The housekeeping staff there often enters the rooms for turn down service at night, or during the day to drop off more items for the fridge and whatnot. I've been in the room a few times and they sometimes ask if you mind if they work around you or not. One time I returned sandy from the beach and they in the process of mopping the floor. The last thing that crossed my mind was "oh no, this housekeeper is seeing me in my bathing suit!" I went in the bathroom to freshen up and she kept mopping the floor.

To offer the service they are known for, you sometimes have to give and take a little bit because they can not work around your schedule when they don't know what it is. If you are on vacation and are hanging out in your room for hours, and you know you need to nap, or your kids need to nap, just be aware that someone might need to get in the room. Lock your door, put your own sign up that says someone is sleeping, wear ear plugs. Maybe it shouldn't have to be necessary, but there are ways to make it work. It's a hotel full of children, there is NO way people aren't disturbed while sleeping in other instances, as children are loud and even the most well-intentioned parents can't keep their kids from being noisy 100% of the time.

I was not complaining, just shocked she stayed to clean while we were not clothed. When I said my dh was in his shorts I meant his tighty whities.

We also did not spend hours in the room, and since we were in a suite that had three bedrooms a living room, dining room and the master suite was separate from the rest of the area I never heard her enter. Dh was seriously frozen in the bed, and while we did chuckle later, he was not overly amused at the time.

I know exactly what we paid for and know we definitely tried to be respectful that the staff needed time to accomplish the level of maintenance they gave us. I still think it was odd she stayed to clean, but since it was clear she needed to be there we grabbed our clothes and took off.

Your other option is to just take your nap and cross the bridge of being awakened by a banging on the door if or when it happens. Your husband can be free to do whatever he wants, you can nap and if on the off chance they try to enter the room while you happen to be napping and it disturbs you, can you figure out how to deal with it then. The reason for concern is about something that may or may not happen and if it does, may or may not even affect you.

I am jealous that children screaming because they don't want to go to bed way past bedtime sounds distant and hollow, though! I wish I could figure out how to make that work that way for me.
Turn 50 (and more) and have your youngest child be in their 20's goes a long way to making it work.

Now a child crying because they are hurt, that wakes me up in an instant.

I am very ignorant about gun laws, but never thought they were allowed on Disney property.

Last edited:

I was not complaining, just shocked she stayed to clean while we were not clothed. When I said my dh was in his shorts I meant his tighty whities.

We also did not spend hours in the room, and since we were in a suite that had three bedrooms a living room, dining room and the master suite was separate from the rest of the area I never heard her enter. Dh was seriously frozen in the bed, and while we did chuckle later, he was not overly amused at the time.

I know exactly what we paid for and know we definitely tried to be respectful that the staff needed time to accomplish the level of maintenance they gave us. I still think it was odd she stayed to clean, but since it was clear she needed to be there we grabbed our clothes and took off.
I've stayed in some really fine hotels. A good staff is only there, if and when they are needed...like the butler in "Mr. Deeds". Definitely, not intrusive..

So let’s see...

Bad person waits for maid to come by on day 1 and now knows he/she has at least the rest of the day, the night, and until the next time the maid comes back to hatch nefarious plan. Bad person will also happily allow maid to leave the room if the room check results in discovery of nefarious plan.

But yeah implementing the room check will keep us safe, kind of like how taking off shoes at the airport security check keeps you safe.

Meanwhile I fully expect this check to always occur in the midst of our afternoon nap. I’ll happily trade my faux ‘safety check’ for uninterrupted afternoon napping.

Lol after reading these posts it seems the only reason people go to Disney is to nap.

Hah. Well our touring plan is basically one that involves a typical 530am wake up for rope drop, back at room around lunch for relaxing, then back out to shut down the parks.

We hit it hard at the beginning and end of the day and reserve the middle for relaxing and yes that typically includes a short nap. Just got back from a trip where we averaged apprx 10-11 miles of walking per day for 8 days straight and you have to get some rest in to offset that.

I can deal with kids running and screaming down the hallway (which we didn’t encounter last week). Not sure what we’re supposed to do other than get up and answer the door when someone starts banging on it in the name of ‘daily room safety check!’

Hah. Well our touring plan is basically one that involves a typical 530am wake up for rope drop, back at room around lunch for relaxing, then back out to shut down the parks.

We hit it hard at the beginning and end of the day and reserve the middle for relaxing and yes that typically includes a short nap. Just got back from a trip where we averaged apprx 10-11 miles of walking per day for 8 days straight and you have to get some rest in to offset that.

I can deal with kids running and screaming down the hallway (which we didn’t encounter last week). Not sure what we’re supposed to do other than get up and answer the door when someone starts banging on it in the name of ‘daily room safety check!

Get up, answer the door, explain you are napping and ask them to come back after X-o'clock to service the room and go back to bed...or let them in to glance around for 30 seconds and then go back to bed.

That's our plan. We are nappers too. This is all much ado about nothing to us.

Get up, answer the door, explain you are napping and ask them to come back after X-o'clock to service the room and go back to bed...or let them in to glance around for 30 seconds and then go back to bed.

I take a 20-30 minute nap and don't want someone banging on the door halfway through it because I know I'm not going back to sleep at that point.

I get what you're saying but to me this is yet another over reaction to an event with a solution that is intended to make people 'feel good' but will absolutely accomplish nothing other than annoying people.

Lol after reading these posts it seems the only reason people go to Disney is to nap.
I nap at home as well. It is part of my daily routine. If I didn't nap willingly, I would fall asleep unwillingly. No choice.

I have lupus. A systemic autoimmune disease. It might kill me, and if it doesn't it will just put me in pain until I die. But feel free to laugh out loud at it.

That works if you can fall back asleep. If it takes you time to actually get comfortable, that doesn't work so well.

I hope it is much ado about nothing for most people. For me, it isn't.

I nap at home as well. It is part of my daily routine. If I didn't nap willingly, I would fall asleep unwillingly. No choice.

I have lupus. A systemic autoimmune disease. It might kill me, and if it doesn't it will just put me in pain until I die. But feel free to laugh out loud at it.

That works if you can fall back asleep. If it takes you time to actually get comfortable, that doesn't work so well.

I hope it is much ado about nothing for most people. For me, it isn't.

As I said in an earlier post, when you check in let them know about not being interrupted during a nap. Ask them if they can kindly not check your room between such and such a time as you will be sleeping. Kind of like a DAS for room check instead of a ride. Disney doesn't want unhappy quests so I bet they will listen. Just give it a try.

As I said in an earlier post, when you check in let them know about not being interrupted during a nap. Ask them if they can kindly not check your room between such and such a time as you will be sleeping. Kind of like a DAS for room check instead of a ride. Disney doesn't want unhappy quests so I bet they will listen. Just give it a try.
dosnt this kinda kill the " check any time saftey" thing?

I take a 20-30 minute nap and don't want someone banging on the door halfway through it because I know I'm not going back to sleep at that point.

I get what you're saying but to me this is yet another over reaction to an event with a solution that is intended to make people 'feel good' but will absolutely accomplish nothing other than annoying people.

An overreaction...lots of that.

dosnt this kinda kill the " check any time saftey" thing?
Of course it does.

In addition we all know that the most Disney will do is say, "we can mark that as a request, but we can't guarantee anything."

Yes, I plan to do what I can to mitigate this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter