• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do Not Disturb Gone! (BLT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, the wording of that text is strange: "If you would like your room clean please text back YES or NO". So if I text back NO, that also means I would like my room cleaned...
Hmm for me I saw it meant:

Yes=you want your room cleaned
No=you do not want your room cleaned

I suppose it may be more clear if they left off "If" and just said "Would you like your room clean please text back YES or NO."

Has anyone noticed most of the problems with this so called "security check" seems to come from WL? We have reservations there for Sept. I am wondering if we should change hotels. I am old and tired and I go on vacation to have a little fun but also rest and chill. We usually get housekeeping every other day, we don't need or want it everyday. Has anyone seen any complaints for any other hotel?

I've read a couple of incidents at POP also.

Curious in this case: Did you have late checkout? The times I've asked (usually for running races), I can never get a checkout as late as 2:30 pm-- maybe 1 pm at the latest.
So that *might* explain why they came back by, because generally on a checkout day, the guest is well out of the room by 2:30.

Yikes, what I meant to say was I declined cleaning as we were checking out the *next* day, but the day I wrote that was “today”.

Yes, that would have made a lot more sense, although I would have said "cleaned" rather than "clean".

It could be that English is a second language for the person who typed the message. It's fairly easy to understand, even if the grammar isn't totally perfect. I've heard a lot worse from well-educated coworkers who are American by birth

It could be that English is a second language for the person who typed the message. It's fairly easy to understand, even if the grammar isn't totally perfect. I've heard a lot worse from well-educated coworkers who are American by birth

I agree. She was from Germany, and very respectful and cordial. I figured it was either a language barrier or that their texting system is limited to only a certain amount of characters. Either way, I could infer from context what the text was asking of me.

I agree. She was from Germany, and very respectful and cordial. I figured it was either a language barrier or that their texting system is limited to only a certain amount of characters. Either way, I could infer from context what the text was asking of me.

Yeah I think at times people are far too quick to criticize someone without realizing they might be making similar grammatical or spelling mistakes. I appreciate them using a text message system and as long as it isn't riddled with abbreviations and shortened words, I'll be happy.

There is a difference between a text message used only once, and a "form letter" text message used every time the same situation arises. If it is the first case, I'd be unlikely to point out harmless errors. But if it is a standardized message used over and over (as I thought it was for this instance, but I may have misunderstood), one would hope that a large company would find someone to proofread it and confirm that the wording makes sense.

I've read a couple of incidents at POP also.

Reposted from Trip Advisor......yesterday

via mobile
Beware - new resort "screw your privacy " policy

We stayed at the Pop Century last week. They no longer allow do not disturb signs on your door. At about 2:30 my 4 year old grand son was in our room to get his BADLY needed nap. Using their new "room occupied" door sign, the maid service appropriately passed over our room. One hour later, around 3:30, with my grandson and wife sleeping in their bed, there's a strong knock on my door. A security lady at the door says she needs to check the room, for security reasons. I asked if she could come back in an hour when my grandson is done napping. She insists I have to let her in, and then she requires ME to step outside while she goes in.
She goes in flips on the light, looks back and forth, checks the bathroom, then leaves. Of course , my grandson wakes up before fully rested, and spends the rest of the day cranky.
Disney really screwed up on this policy decision. I know we live in a new reality for security, but if there is a bad guy wanting to do bad things, this won't catch him/her. Guns can be hidden under mattresses, in closed suitcases, or the trunk of their car.
This is not how we are supposed to be treated in the United States. Freedom to be left alone is highly valued, and coming into my paid for room w/o notice or warning is not cool.

Ask Michael R about Walt Disney World Resort

This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.

Last edited:
Good afternoon, all. Unfortunately, I encountered an issue concerning these security checks on my recent trip. On Friday, Jan 12, we spent the morning at Epcot. We returned to our room at Port Orleans Riverside at about 2:20pm for a nap. I veered off toward a designated smoking area and, when my Princess arrived at our room, she texted me that she noticed our room hadn't been cleaned yet and that Mousekeeping appeared to be next door. I came and chatted with the Mousekeeper in front of our open door, traded a bunch of wet towels for clean ones, and tipped her a few bucks. I then put the Room Occupied sign on the door and went back to the designated smoking area to smoke the second half of a cigarette. About three minutes later, I received a phone call from Security. They said "Mr. Underwear, your Room Occupied sign is on the door." I laughed and agreed that's true now, though it wasn't true until just a few minutes ago. They said that they needed to do a security check on the room at some time today. I told them we were napping after having been out all morning, but that we'd be back out of the room by 4:30 and that we had dinner reservations in the evening. They wished me a magical nap and a fun evening and I left the phone call smiling. I hung out at the smoking area, chatted with a nice person I met there, and killed a few minutes checking my phone. Probably 10 minutes later, I returned to my room and saw a guy scanning a keyfob to go in. I greeted him in a friendly way and said "that's my room and..." and he cut me off to gruffly say "I'm doing a security check" as he walked in! He was fully in the room when I caught him by the shoulder and pointed out my Princess asleep in the bed as I guided him back outside so that we could talk about it.

I don't want to rehash the specifics of the "guest recovery" situation that ensued, but the major argument that I made to Management is that this miscommunication shouldn't have happened in the first place. Since our reservations are all linked in the system, they should be able to connect that dots in the data and know that we were going to be out of the room in the morning for our fastpasses, and again in the evening for our dinner reservations, to "magically" do the security check without a risk of this sort of thing. Ultimately, I was satisfied that the manager I spoke to took it very seriously. They said they spoke to managers from other departments including housekeeping and security and that they were all on the same page that this shouldn't have happened for a variety of reasons, but further that they'll make sure to escalate the idea of using the data in this way to help improve the guest experience in every way possible.

I hope this doesn't make anyone too uneasy. I believe there was no malice on anyone's part in this situation, but a series of bad assumptions and miscommunications sure made for a miserable afternoon for me and my Princess. If you do have an issue, I encourage you to approach other Cast Members or managers about it as soon as you can. If you wait, there's less they can do to help fix it. By dealing with it while a lot of the people involved were still on the clock, we were able to get some quick answers and I'm hopeful this may even lead to a slightly improved policy.

Last edited:
I really hope they fix this ridiculous situation soon. I’m spending big bucks in order to RELAX in a deluxe resort. We only do parks in the morning. I enjoy an afternoon nap followed by a relaxing bath or shower. We will not only be using our room for sleeping at night but perhaps an afternoon delight. This will be a second honeymoon. We don’t want to be bothered by strangers. Can’t they just do their nosing around between 8:00 am & 12:00 noon? The rest of the day I want my room for my husband and I. Yes, we will use the pool and go out for dinner, but for those spontaneous times we stay in, I shouldn’t have to worry about this nonsense.

We are going to BWV in March 2018 this will be with son and family..we are all adults....since this is DVC they are calling it 'trash takeout' everyday..which is really a security check....with the dogs (non service) coming to the hotels...and now evasion of our time and privacy...my hubby is ready to sell after owing 18 yrs....
See how the 'bad guys' make it inconvenient for everyone else...dreading this policy....

I cannot imagine how I will react to awake finding a strange person in my room. Disney or not, something will probably be sailing through the air toward said person.

This is exactly my concern. Susie Housekeeping or Sam Securitywannabe knocking or not knocking and entering my room for a "trash service" while I am asleep. They will either wake me with the knocking or they will wake me because they are in my room, while I am sleeping. Either way, it will make for a bad scene.

I cannot imagine how I will react to awake finding a strange person in my room. Disney or not, something will probably be sailing through the air toward said person.

This is exactly my concern. Susie Housekeeping or Sam Securitywannabe knocking or not knocking and entering my room for a "trash service" while I am asleep. They will either wake me with the knocking or they will wake me because they are in my room, while I am sleeping. Either way, it will make for a bad scene.

Won't use use the latch?

Yes, the knocking may wake you. Why would it have to be a "bad scene"? Are you going to yell at someone for doing their job? Do you have really bad hair when you wake up? What would cause the "bad scene'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter