• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do Not Disturb Gone! (BLT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This specific issue came up in my discussion with the cast member yesterday (as I had agreed a time with housekeeping for access on a particular day and security did not respect it). The person that called to ask me about my experience was clear that I Would have been better off to discuss with the front desk (and not housekeeping directly) as the front desk can coordinate all areas that need access to your room.
Which makes perfect sense, except that I walked to the front desk and was told in no uncertain terms that I needed to call housekeeping. The front desk wouldn't discuss it with me.

It would be interesting, from a purely legal standpoint, to know how that would play out... Would the liability be higher if no one from the hotel stepped foot in the room for days before the incident, or if the room was "inspected" or cleaned daily without noticing anything was amiss? From my understanding of the Vegas situation, the shooter did allow housekeeping to access the room as usual and the hotel was still sued so it really doesn't seem like insisting upon daily checks would be any protection, but I assume Disney isn't upsetting guests to this degree without reasons so I'm guessing somewhere there is a legal mind that says otherwise.

I suppose it could just be to say that Disney did everything possible to have eyes on everyone they possible could. Obviously if you're planning a mass murder, you're probably not leaving a gun or box of bullets out in the open. Then again, stranger things have happened. Disney has a lot of smart lawyers working for them and they must be pushing this. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the future.

My suggestion to Disney would be this (and hear me out)..... Take everyone's luggage! They already have a ton of it from the Magical Express and they could always take everyone's luggage for them at the lobby and deliver it complimentary to everyone's room for them. Meanwhile, behind the scenes, they could x-ray all of the bags just like airport security. While it seems a bit extreme, it would be better than going to everyone's rooms everyday. It wouldn't stop everything, but would probably work better.

I suppose it could just be to say that Disney did everything possible to have eyes on everyone they possible could. Obviously if you're planning a mass murder, you're probably not leaving a gun or box of bullets out in the open. Then again, stranger things have happened. Disney has a lot of smart lawyers working for them and they must be pushing this. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the future.

My suggestion to Disney would be this (and hear me out)..... Take everyone's luggage! They already have a ton of it from the Magical Express and they could always take everyone's luggage for them at the lobby and deliver it complimentary to everyone's room for them. Meanwhile, behind the scenes, they could x-ray all of the bags just like airport security. While it seems a bit extreme, it would be better than going to everyone's rooms everyday. It wouldn't stop everything, but would probably work better.

I probably wouldn't have a problem with it if it was complimentary like you suggested. I think the only hitch would be that they would have to find a way to funnel everyone through the main lobby during their stay and have metal detectors because otherwise someone could go back out to their car and bring something into a side entrance during their stay.

Have not read the entire thread. DD and I are staying at BWV in March. For the Villas we only get houskeeping on the 4th day. Will they still knock and want to come in everyday anyway?

Have not read the entire thread. DD and I are staying at BWV in March. For the Villas we only get houskeeping on the 4th day. Will they still knock and want to come in everyday anyway?

The DVC rooms will get trash pick up daily. You will get a daily visit. I read that some at DVC are getting knocks very early in the morning.

The DVC rooms will get trash pick up daily. You will get a daily visit. I read that some at DVC are getting knocks very early in the morning.

Thanks. Most days it won't be a problem as we will be up and gone but a few days we want to sleep in...

I hate that idea. There have been times when we’ve gotten in really late. I don’t want to have to wait for my luggage to be screened to get ready for bed.

And would I be stopped every single time I come back to the resort to see if I’m taking any new stuff to my room? It just seems like an incredible hassle for all parties.

I probably wouldn't have a problem with it if it was complimentary like you suggested. I think the only hitch would be that they would have to find a way to funnel everyone through the main lobby during their stay and have metal detectors because otherwise someone could go back out to their car and bring something into a side entrance during their stay.

I would, just because it sounds really inconvenient to have to stop at the front desk/main building, check my luggage, move the car to a lot near my room, and then wait for my bags. I love online check in because it saves me that front desk stop and the typical wait in line there!

I also think it would be a bigger change than the poster who suggested it would think. Even with Magical Express, guests often handle their own bags to avoid the delay waiting for it to be delivered or because they travel carry-on only, and of course carry-on bags are never in Disney's care so you'd have to add a mechanism for screening to all of that as well. And as you say, any system that doesn't route guests through a main lobby every time they enter and exit the building - impossible at all but a handful of Disney resorts since most are multi-building - would be easily circumvented by a subsequent trip out to the car after checking in.

party)
This is just a snapshot of what has been and what is going on. People should be furious. Unfortunately so many people love love love all things disney. Until it happens to them.
options:

1) stop going to disney. period. withhold all your $$$$. go somewhere else. do something else. you've been there 100 times.

2) be creative. answer the door in the above example....butt naked.....make sure you film it. stumble gracefully into the arms of the intruder. when he touches your naked body...immediately call the police...then call the best lawyer in the united states and sue disney for attempted rape, sexual molestation and aggravated assault (which they do not have a right to do)....
this moronic, ineffective and phony legal BS policy will end pronto. ask for a 200 million dollar pain and suffering verdict and punitive damages. the right lawyer might be able to pull it off. and then you can all go back to your happy magical place without feeling like a paying criminal slave.

Tim! I love ya man but step away from the liquor cabinet. You've had so many good points against this Security theater B.S. but this type of post isn't helping.

Hopefully we can get back to our regularly scheduled posts discussing this issue.
Hugs,
~NM

Warning- this is long, and it’s dealing with the new “security measure” in place.

I am staying at the Grand Floridian in the main building. I came back from the AK about 2 hours ago because I had a headache (my family stayed at the park.) I returned to my room and saw the housekeeping cart a couple of doors down. I noted my room had not been made up, so I went in search of the housekeeper. I said I was going to rest and did not need service; the housekeeper ascertained my room number, double-checked my need for towels/toiletries etc., and wished me well. I went to my room, bolted and dead-locked the door, undressed and got in bed.

I awoke to someone tapping on my door. I figured it must be next door since I had declined housekeeping. I nodded back off. A short while later I had a more insistent knocking and a voice saying “housekeeping.” I jumped out of bed, dressed, (all the while, someone is knocking insistently on my door), and was saying, “hold on” and “just a moment.” The knocking became MORE insistent in spite of my answering. When I opened the door there was a man there asking if everything was okay. I was still in a haze from having been sleeping and thanked him, but told him I did not need housekeeping and I had already told the housekeeper I would be napping. I was told he was sent from the main office (???) to inspect my room for security reasons. I must have looked at him like he had two heads because he said “I’m allowed in the room.” Now, two things - I am a woman in the room by myself with a stranger at the door telling me he was allowed in, and I had the door wide open and he could see all the way into the room. The man then told me it was for my security (again, ???) and walked by me into the room!!! He began asking if my lights worked (???) and if I needed anything. He never looked in the closet, looked in the bathroom, looked in the sink area, or looked under the desk. Essentially, if he was there for security, he did a fairly sucktastic job.

Now, I have many problems with the whole situation. I am furious as this was invasive and worthless. I am horrified as I was completely naked in my hotel room seconds before this man entered. I am terrified because I have three daughters who are old enough to be in and out of the room on their own and what if one of them had been in here instead of me.

I am a huge Disney fan, but this is over the line. Yes, Disney has the right to come in the room, and I understand that. That said, my behavior (and that of my party) has not been unusual, we are in the main building so we’re in continuous contact with staff, AND I made the housekeeping staff aware of my issue. I do intend to complain, and while I won’t say “I’ll never stay at Disney again,” I will be honest and say that I am completely shaken and don’t feel comfortable in my hotel room at this point - and that is unacceptable.

For those here or coming down, take the warning seriously; do your best to have two people in the room at all times.

This is just a snapshot of what has been and what is going on. People should be furious. Unfortunately so many people love love love all things disney. Until it happens to them.
options:

1) stop going to disney. period. withhold all your $$$$. go somewhere else. do something else. you've been there 100 times.

2) be creative. answer the door in the above example....butt naked.....make sure you film it. stumble gracefully into the arms of the intruder. when he touches your naked body...immediately call the police...then call the best lawyer in the united states and sue disney for attempted rape, sexual molestation and aggravated assault (which they do not have a right to do)....
this moronic, ineffective and phony legal BS policy will end pronto. ask for a 200 million dollar pain and suffering verdict and punitive damages. the right lawyer might be able to pull it off. and then you can all go back to your happy magical place without feeling like a paying criminal slave.
Posts like that will do nothing but ensure closure of this thread. Suggesting that people set up Disney employees and falsely accuse them of sexual assault seems a lot worse than discussing ways to circumvent the dining plan.

Last edited:
Tim! I love ya man but step away from the liquor cabinet. You've had so many good points against this Security theater B.S. but this type of post isn't helping.

Hopefully we can get back to our regularly scheduled posts discussing this issue.
Hugs,
~NM
you're right
and I love you too. thinker. brave. intelligent soul.
for the record I've exhausted the subject...nothing more to add.

1) true feeling
2) was being facetious

PS over and out sianara.. you're all on your own.

I had exactly the same thought. I've done this many times in countries where hotels are a high risk target (Indonesia, Turkey etc), and it is not at all intrusive. They do a quick sweep of all cars coming in, and at the door of the hotel there is an x-ray for all luggage just like at the airport. Takes 2 minutes and you are done. With the way ME works, a lot of it could be done behind the scenes.

As is, this will keep me off property. I do not use housekeeping services as o don’t need them and I don’t want anyone in my room while I’m not there. I also don’t want anyone bothering me when I am there for no reason. There is no way for me to be satisfied with how this is being implemented.

I realize they have always had the right to enter. All hotels do. The difference is before the policy was “we can” and now it’s “we will.” A huge difference.

I realize they have always had the right to enter. All hotels do. The difference is before the policy was “we can” and now it’s “we will.” A huge difference.

Exactly- this changes everything! And I just read on the other thread about this farce that a current guest HAD housekeeping services for the day and STILL had someone bang on her door and demand entry! So we're not off the hook if we go back to a clean room.

So, I am wondering how many guests stay at Disney for what might be extended stays. And also drive.

We just returned from a 10 day stay. We drove. Our "luggage" consisted of clothes, food, paper products, food prep items including two sharp knives, a disassembled scooter, a cane (sometimes a walker), plus other assorted times. One, I can't wait for Disney to decide that my scooter or cane or walker isn't a contraband item. And I pack more than just one of them. Nor do I want to wait for my personal items to be delivered.

Thanks. Most days it won't be a problem as we will be up and gone but a few days we want to sleep in...
Good luck. Our scheduled time to be disturbed was 8:45.

@MaryLovesPoohBear I am so sorry about what happened on your last visit- you shouldn't have had to endure the interruptions at your resort room. I am very grateful, though, for your reports as it was helpful to hear first hand reports. It made my decision easy not to stay at a Disney resort in the foreseeable future. We have found our Orlando home at Universal's Hard Rock hotel. We have seen that they have elevated guest services to new levels while Disney keeps dropping guest services to even lower levels. We just returned from a visit there and had a wonderful time. Universal has figured out how to have proper levels of security while maintaining guest satisfaction and privacy. Hopefully, Disney will get their act together and we can stay there again!

I had exactly the same thought. I've done this many times in countries where hotels are a high risk target (Indonesia, Turkey etc), and it is not at all intrusive. They do a quick sweep of all cars coming in, and at the door of the hotel there is an x-ray for all luggage just like at the airport. Takes 2 minutes and you are done. With the way ME works, a lot of it could be done behind the scenes.

There are massive flaws with these suggestions and while I've covered them before, they are probably 20 pages back again.

The idea of taking luggage and xray'ing every resort guest simply won't work in practice unless WDW completely redesigns virtually every resort. Only in a couple of resorts, like Contemporary or BLT, is it possible to route all guests through the main lobby and even then, you have the garden wings. Are they going to put up fencing around all the parking lots? LOL, can you imagine having go through the main building at Carribean beach, POP ect ect every single time you went back to your room? Enjoy your 20+ minute hike both way every trip.

Next is the idea of "checking cars". This has been brought up a number of times, I had no idea so many people were so ignorant about Florida law. So a CM finds guns and ammo in your car? They can't do anything about it, it's against the law in Florida (and most other states) for a business to prevent customers or guests from keeping their firearms in their vehicles.

Since no one has specifically answered:
----
How do these room checks prevent or catch anyone?

Under the current room check system: Any and all illicit items are kept in luggage until after the room is serviced / checked. Also any items could be left in a vehicle in the parking lot until after the days "check".
*Which is what the Vegas murderer did BTW, kept it all in luggage until that day.

Under a future scenario where a room AND the luggage are all inspected: potential bag guy leaves all illicit items in vehicle in parking lot or simply launches an attack on the day of check in.

Under a future fix for aforementioned future fix: Disney inspects all room contents AND luggage AND all vehicles entering Disney property: Disney security finds guns and ammo in a guests car and says "are you leaving those in the car or checking them at the front desk?" Guest replies either "Leaving them in the car" or "checking in at the front desk" and either way the CM says "Ok thanks, have a magical day!"
*Disney and 99.999% of other companies and businesses in Florida are prohibited by law from preventing a lawful gun owner from having firearms in their vehicle. There are similar laws in most other states also.

So, specifically, how does this new intrusive policy of harassing guests who have shown no actual signs of nefarious actions occurring in their rooms do anything to improve security or prevent any sort of actual attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter