Do other parents really complain?

mamacatnv

That be a Mum Y'all - a Texas Mum
I think they should change the school's dress code policy so the uniforms will fit in with the dress code. Then that code should then apply to all the students in the school, cheerleaders or not.

Problem I see is schools are to afraid to tell parents to go climb a rope and we have this kind of stuff.

If they are to vulgar to wear during school then how can they be worn at a school event?

I think cheerleader skirts are against most dress codes (too short). BUT, if someone in authority feels the skirts are "too vulgar", then they shouldn't issue them to the girls to begin with.

To get around the dress code, have the girls wear just their uniform tops (and pants/shorts/skirts that follow dress code) on game days. When I was in HS (many moons ago), team members wore their jerseys and "normal" bottoms on game days.

Problem I see is schools are to afraid to tell parents to go climb a rope and we have this kind of stuff.

If they are to vulgar to wear during school then how can they be worn at a school event?
That was my thought too

Cheer uniforms have not changed much from when I was in HS to my DD who is now in HS. They are short and often vest style tops but they have kick pants or shorts under them, often hose or tights or something similar and undergarments are not visible etc.

I can see the havoc an open dress code with the same length or sleeveless nature of a cheer outfit could cause in a high school setting. Unless the undergarments, leg coverings, kick pants etc were mandated by that same code. I have no issue with high school dress codes in general but I don't see why they should apply to the cheer uniforms, just seems silly and over the top to me.

Brings the question to mind that I ask myself often: "Really, have they got nothing better to do or monitor or regulate?"

If a school has a dress code, that dress code should be followed by all students. You don't get a pass because you are a cheerleader. Go change in the locker room before your event.

But, I do have to question why a school has a dress code but that school's cheerleading uniforms don't conform to the dress code. Seems rather hypocritical to me.

Not every sports uniform is suitable to be worn all over school e.g. what about the school swim team??? I think the "no bare arms" thing is ridiculous (who cares if arms are seen, especially in a tropical place like Florida), but those skirts are pretty short. If the school wouldn't want the non-cheerleaders to spend all day in that length of skirt (or even that length shorts), sitting down at their desks in them etc., then why would they want the cheerleaders to? Why can't the cheerleaders change before the game/practice? I am no prude, I just don't see why a school who doesn't want the girls exposing so much leg during the school day would make an exception for the cheerleaders. If they think micro minis and teeny shorts on girls would be distracting, then wouldn't cheerleading uniforms also be equally distracting? Distractions don't matter at game time, but they do matter to THAT school during the school day.

Vulgar is an extreme description...inappropriate for the classroom, maybe.

My daughter was in dance (and their uniforms similar to cheerleaders in skirt length) and they were not allowed to wear the 'game uniform' on game day to school - they changed after school before boarding the buses for the games. I think they often can be a distraction. Who are we kidding...most boys gawk at girls when they are wearing more.

So on game day they wore their 'day uniform' which was comfortable sweats (or maybe it was the dance pants) and a specific spirit t-shirt.

The uniforms are basically dance/athletic wear. Much like how we wouldn't think volleyball shorts and racer-back tops would be appropriate for school wear.

the uniforms do not meet the dress code at most schools, so they are NOT acceptable to wear during school hours

Alot of arents at our school complained and they were not allowed to wear them durign the day; now they are allowed again;

personally, i think cheerleaders need to wear skirts down to their ankles, but hey, that just my opinion

It's not something that would incite me to pick up the phone and complain but I could see a parent complaining if their kid was sent home for wearing a tank top and mid-thigh skirt to school but the cheerleaders are running all over the place dressed in pretty much the same thing.

My daughter was a cheerleader in high school and currently coaches JV cheer. In her school, cheerleaders never wore their uniforms during the school day. Instead, on game day they wore their warmup suits, their cheerleading t shirts, etc.

My DD15 is in 10th grade and is not a cheerleader. Our cheerleaders do wear their uniforms to school on game day. I went to the same high school. They've always worn them to school. But the dress code has changed so much that it is ridiculous when I have to bring my daughter something else to wear because her top is thin and she has a tank top on underneath it to make up for that and they still won't let her wear it because...because... who knows why? It was okay last year but this year, nope, can't do it. But yet the cheerleaders can get away with wearing so little and nobody says anything. I haven't complained, wouldn't complain but it is annoying. I can see where they are coming from.

The parents should also be against the girls' volleyball uniforms. Smallest bottoms I've ever worn/seen outside of a bathing suit.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/florida-schools-banning-cheerleaders-wearing-uniforms-during-school-155324614.html

Just saw this, do other non-cheerleader parents really complain?

I'm just continuing to shake my head.

I think cheerleaders, athletes etc should be allowed to wear their uniforms on performance days. To ban them and state they are vulgar is wow, extreme especially since they represent the school at the event in the uniforms.
First of all, I have no problem with skimpy cheer uniforms. DD does all star cheer, so has one of those skimpy skirts and a half top. I have no problem even with the 5 year olds in crop tops and short skirts or the new trend of itty bitty shorts.

That said, I also don't have a problem with the school requiring adherence to the dress code.

In all-star cheer the cheerleaders are not allowed to run around the venue in their uniforms. They always have to have their warm-ups on until they go out on stage. This is not just our gym's rule, it is rule for all all-star cheerleaders.

God help one of our cheerleaders that is caught by our gym owner heading out to a restaurant or even fast food in their uniform without covering up.

As somebody else mentioned, just like swim team, there is a time and place for the uniform. Swimmers put on their warm-ups, gymnasts put on their warm-ups and cheerleaders should put on their warm-ups.

I wouldn't complain, but I can understand those who did. If a skirt is short enough to be a distraction, which is usually the reason given for length rules, it doesn't matter if it is a cheerleading skirt or something from Forever 21... Too much skin is too much skin.

Our cheerleaders wear their team pants and tees on game days, not their uniforms.

If there's a dress code, it should apply to everyone, and the athletes/cheerleaders shouldn't get a pass. Either that, or they should redesign the uniform to meet the dress code. There is absolutely no reason why the uniforms should be worn during the school day.

I hate dress codes (and uniforms) and am tired of enforcing the dress code with my kids. Schools have a lot of standard reasons why they have to police kids' clothing. I try to use some of that reasoning with my kids, but frankly, if the reasons aren't important enough that the school can overlook the half-dressed cheerleaders, then why on earth shouldn't my non-cheerleader kid be able to attend school with the same amount of skin showing?

The school undercuts parents who try to do enforce the rules with this stupid exception.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter