do people tent at the fort?

jenniy122

DIS Veteran
My family's been camping my whole life, first in a tent and for the past 15 years a trailer, but I just purchased my first tent and will be getting my first car soon as well (don't worry, I'm old, just a late bloomer), so where better to go than Disney? Just seems like most talk on these boards is about RVing, so I was wondering if tenting is even an option at the fort. Pros/cons to think about for a first timer?

Yes, people tent it at The Fort. Pros would be enjoying the great outdoors. Cons would be not being prepared for the great outdoors. If you're mentally and physically prepared you can have a fun time.

Sure people tent at the Fort.

A couple of things:

1. There are 4 types of sites at the Fort and the most expensive, Premium, does NOT have a sand pad to set a tent up on. It's all concrete with no guarantee of space off the drive to set up. If you have a technique to set up a tent on concrete (free standing) or some other arrangement, that's fine but didn't want you to get caught by surprise. The other 3 types of sites do have a sand pad.

2. I'd say mid-June to mid-Sep is tough to tent camp at the Fort due to the high heat and humidity (both day and night) and showers that occur almost daily. People can and do tent during those months but it takes extra planning (an AC unit for the tent, a fan, maybe an extra tarp over the tent, etc). Personally I think it would be more draining rather than restful during that time even with proper planning but that's just me.

3. Lots of folks start out as tent campers (my first time 4 times to the Fort I tent camped) and then we moved up to a popup. So you're in good company.

The shoulder seasons (spring and fall) are prime tent camping times and people do come in to the Fort particularly for the weekends in the Partial and Full site types. Winter can be done too (particularly with an electric blanket). :worship:

So make your plans and check in with us if you need to.

Bama Ed

Our first visit to the Fort last October was in a tent: myself, DH, DD13, DD11, DS7. So much fun! For our visit, the weather was perfect (over Halloween week last year) and there is so much to do even without going to the park!

There was plenty of room for our tent and a screen 'room', and and we just kept food in the car (a hatchback) to keep critters away. It was as comfortable as tent camping can be, maybe more so since the Fort's "comfort stations" are nicer than any campground where we've camped.

You will want to check out Fort approved fire pits, as the standard campfire is a 'no no'. Or, you could head on over to the free nightly campfire w/ Chip & Dale to roast hot dogs/marshmallows (yes, you can bring your own...much cheaper).

If you decide to try it, have fun!! :banana:

YES!! We tent camp every Thanksgiving at Fort Wilderness. We usually go for 6 days. We absolutely love it. We see the same people there every Thanksgiving. We rent a golf cart and just have a blast. In November, its usually cold. Last year, it got down into the 30's at night, but I rather have that then it be hot. Start making memories and tent camp!:thumbsup2

Absolutely! The least expensive Disney trip I ever took was the year we tent camped at FW. It was May and the weather was gorgeous. Cooked every breakfast and dinner at our campsite, and had a QS lunch in the parks.

I asked this same question, followed all the great advice here, and now our family shares fantastic tent camping yearly at the Fort!

We have a tent that sets up quickly (as opposed to the canvas one of years past), received advice on fold up bikes that we bring each trip, and travel during late Fall or Winter, as we too prefer colder to hot and humid! The electric blanket idea has been fantastic. Enjoy!

Thanks everyone! You've given me the confidence I needed. I have the option of going in July or January, so it's looking like winter's the better option? (I slept in my tent in the backyard here in MI last night, it was in the 30s and I was fine). I'd probably prefer that anyways, get out of the MI winter and lower crowds than summer. :)

Yes you can tent camp at Disney. I did it last year in the middle of summer. How we did the parks, the problem was more the sand than the heat. We had 2 fans in the tent and because we were only in the tents after the sun had gone down it wasn't really that bad. It rained everyday and though the inside of the tent was dry, the bigger problem was keeping the towels and clothing dry. That said they do have washing machines and dryers in the Comfort Stations. That is what we did after about three days.
The sand is a necassary evil for the pads. Without it, when the 2 inches of rain in 30 minutes thunderstorms came by, your tent would get flooded. The bad thing is controlling the sand. Two things you will want to do. Put something before your tent so you dont walk in the sand to get into the tent. Second erect your tent so the entrance is close to the paved part to minimize walking in the sand.
Oh I have a pop-up now that I got after the trip to Disney last year but I think my tent experience at Disney had little to do with getting the pop-up. We had been looking after a few tent camping trips to make sure the family enjoyed it. We were just looking for a pop-up that met what we were looking for at a price we would pay. Once we found that we immediately bought it.

I tent camp ever July 4 th week, it's not that bad...just bring a nice fan and light sleep where and you will be fine....also July 4 there is a good cart parade you can't miss

Our first visit to the Fort last October was in a tent: myself, DH, DD13, DD11, DS7. So much fun! For our visit, the weather was perfect (over Halloween week last year) and there is so much to do even without going to the park!

There was plenty of room for our tent and a screen 'room', and and we just kept food in the car (a hatchback) to keep critters away. It was as comfortable as tent camping can be, maybe more so since the Fort's "comfort stations" are nicer than any campground where we've camped.

You will want to check out Fort approved fire pits, as the standard campfire is a 'no no'. Or, you could head on over to the free nightly campfire w/ Chip & Dale to roast hot dogs/marshmallows (yes, you can bring your own...much cheaper).

If you decide to try it, have fun!! :banana:

We were at POP the same week as you all, this past October! Weather was PERFECT! I'm a camper (although I haven't been in awhile), and debated for quite awhile, between camping, and POP. We loved POP, but I'm kinda jealous of you all. I may try to convince my wife for our next trip, to tent at the Fort, sounds like a lot of fun!

We tent camped at the Ft. last July. We took a window a/c unit, but we had to shut it off because it got too cold at night. We were perfectly comfortable in the tent at night without it.

I agree with the pp who mentioned the sand. We put a rug in front of the door and had a small hand broom to help keep the inside of the tent clean. We tried to keep our shoes outside when we could (just watch out for those pop-up showers ;)).

We also had a problem getting towels to dry. They got soaked on our clothesline in the rain and our pad was too well shaded to really dry them. It wouldn't hurt to bring a little extra cash for the washers/dryers. Have a great trip!

PS: Those squirrels are shifty, seal up your food properly. :blush:

We tent camped back in the fall of 2012, we had a 12x20 Ozark Trail. We had a outside carpet in front of the door to catch most of the sand. The inside we had a full size commercial grade carpet, we brought a small vacuum with us to clean up any sand and dirt, a raised queen size air mattress, two cots for the kids, a box fan to keep cool at night, (we brought flannel sheets with us cause that is what we use at home), and two big totes for clothes that stayed in the tent also. There was plenty of room inside the tent to walk around and we even sat on the floor one night during a storm and played games. We brought a wooden folding clothes rack with use to dry towels. We left it outside while we were at the Fort and when we went to the parks we put it inside the tent.

We stayed in the 2000 loop, not much bus noise or other traffic, and we could hear the boat whistle and the fireworks and the music that was piped in. It was a wonderful experience for DW and the DD's, who have never been before.

vacations032_zpsf04c1c37.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The above pic was taken at another campground that we stay at before we go to the Fort. It just kinda shows the size of the tent.

vacations035_zpsacd5bae7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Inside of our tent with beds set up.

vacations033_zpscc7786e7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The girls had plenty of room to walk on both sides of their cots.

vacations034_zpsf4fc241a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And the same with our queen size mattress.

We tent camped back in the fall of 2012, we had a 12x20 Ozark Trail. We had a outside carpet in front of the door to catch most of the sand. The inside we had a full size commercial grade carpet, we brought a small vacuum with us to clean up any sand and dirt, a raised queen size air mattress, two cots for the kids, a box fan to keep cool at night, (we brought flannel sheets with us cause that is what we use at home), and two big totes for clothes that stayed in the tent also. There was plenty of room inside the tent to walk around and we even sat on the floor one night during a storm and played games. We brought a wooden folding clothes rack with use to dry towels. We left it outside while we were at the Fort and when we went to the parks we put it inside the tent.

We stayed in the 2000 loop, not much bus noise or other traffic, and we could hear the boat whistle and the fireworks and the music that was piped in. It was a wonderful experience for DW and the DD's, who have never been before.

Didn't think of drying towels in the tent. We did try inside our vehicle. Definitely would not try on the last day. Windows all completely fogged up from the moisture from the towels and the smell was terrible. Had to then air out vehicle. Did dry out some of the towels.

I love the central rug idea, Snowmedic, we're going to have to try that (if we can fit one in the jeep!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter