Do spots for a rundisney ever open up once "sold out"?

kniquy

DIS Veteran
I am signed up for the 5K dark side race. I really wanted to do the 10K but I was a little late and it was sold out. I am wondering do spots ever open up?

I understand that there are many spots held for fundraising groups, but it they do not fill by a certain date do they open them up to the public? Just wondering if i should check back periodically or should i just totally forget about the 10K.

So, yes and no. As far as I know no one has ever reported spots opening upon on the official runDisney site but many charities and travel agents have a waiting list because they can resell bibs of people who failed to meet their funding requirements (charities) or may get the extra bibs from people who deferred (travel agents). I didn't go through the whole list but a few I clicked on still have bibs. Here's the list.

Last year I had a last minute trip I had to make to Orlando in April. For the first time, I think ever, runDisney opened up the Dark Side with additional registrations and I was able to snag one! I was able to register on Feb 19th... long after it had sold out originally.

Sometimes yes especially on races with challenges. If the challenge bibs aren't selling or they do a big push for convert your 10K or Half to a challenge bib then all the 10Ks and halfs that were just normal spots may come back up. This happened with marathon weekend either this year or last when they started a big push to upgrade to Goofy.

Last edited:
I stand corrected. Must not be running the right races for upgrades and changes.

I would start contacting TAs (Acclaim and Magical Miles are the two I would recommend) and inquire about getting on a wait list for the 10K.

Just know that you will be required to purchase park tickets AND two-nights minimum of a hotel room through the TA. They may be able to take over an existing non-DVC hotel registration, so I would ask about that as well.

There are other options as mentioned - charity providers firstly, but they will usually require a significant fundraising commitment. There are also some clubs you can join - Raw Threads being the first one that comes to mind. Club will often still have access to sold out race entries.

I would start contacting TAs (Acclaim and Magical Miles are the two I would recommend) and inquire about getting on a wait list for the 10K.

Just know that you will be required to purchase park tickets AND two-nights minimum of a hotel room through the TA. They may be able to take over an existing non-DVC hotel registration, so I would ask about that as well.

There are other options as mentioned - charity providers firstly, but they will usually require a significant fundraising commitment. There are also some clubs you can join - Raw Threads being the first one that comes to mind. Club will often still have access to sold out race entries.
Acclaim still has 50ish bibs according to their website.

Yes. what they all said.

Dopey for this year was listed as sold out.
So i signed up with my charity to run.
Then it opened up the next week again.

In 2015, they opened up Marathon Weekend half marathon registrations long after the half sold out. My husband and two teens reconsidered and registered for the half when this happened. Rumor was that they weren't selling enough Goofy, and decided to open up some of those spots to half marathon-only registrants. Don't know if that's true, but was happy to get more of my family running over that weekend!

In 2015, they opened up Marathon Weekend half marathon registrations long after the half sold out. My husband and two teens reconsidered and registered for the half when this happened. Rumor was that they weren't selling enough Goofy, and decided to open up some of those spots to half marathon-only registrants. Don't know if that's true, but was happy to get more of my family running over that weekend!
That's exactly why they did it - they called it "the Goofy Giveback" - they took the remaining Goofy spots that were left and split them into half marathon and marathon registrations.

They do, but it's not the norm. As others have said rD may breakdown a challenge if it's not selling well. Occasionally I see people mention the 5K or 10K for so-and-so event has opened back up, but it often sells back out.

Thus if you REALLY want to run a certain race, a TA will be your best bet if the race is "sold out" on the rD website. Otherwise, you can always play the wait-and-see game and as the event draws closer, some slot may open up.

What about when TAs cannot sell their bibs? Those go back to runDisney right?

I feel like that's the reason we keep seeing January races opening and closing lately...

What about when TAs cannot sell their bibs? Those go back to runDisney right?

I feel like that's the reason we keep seeing January races opening and closing lately...
Yes they do go back to runDisney and is very likely the reason we see January races opening and closing.

What is the date that TA's stop selling registrations for Wine and Dine? Was left a 5k short during registration and would like to snag one if they happen to pop back up.

What is the date that TA's stop selling registrations for Wine and Dine? Was left a 5k short during registration and would like to snag one if they happen to pop back up.
I saw a quote on Facebook from a Travel Agent talking about Wine & Dine bibs - they said the "last day to book and register is Tuesday, October 4."

Ended up getting a 5k bib yesterday! and now my sister decided she wants to do the 5k with the challenge she signed up for so Im left trying to find a 5k entry... again lol

There a still BIBs for the Dopey Challenges available. Do you think, they are going to offer 5k or 10k races, when Dopey is not going to sell out?

We have booked a hotel and I am racing the Marathon, but my girlfriend decided that she would like to try a 5k or maybe 10k race :-D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter