Do they try to up-sell you at Palo?

Flying Fish had the best Wagyu filet I have ever tasted. I came back a few months later looking forward to it and they replaced it with a mediocre strip cut. They don't even offer Wagyu anymore so it's no longer a must-do for me...even though that pork belly appetizer is incredible.

Best Wagyu beef and most fabulous meal I have EVER had anywhere was in Seattle at Chef Nathan Lockwoods, Altura. We did his chef's tasting menu and it was more than 12 decadent, gorgeous little courses. The Wagyu literally melted in your mouth. Sooooo good.

The elk entree I had at Remy was excellent. Whole meal was awesome. But after doing both Palo and Remy, for our tastes and budget, it's Palo. Enjoy!!

How relaxed is the dress code now? I'll be eating there for brunch and had planned on wearing a sport coat and khakis. Are regular polos acceptable now?
For Palo brunch, sport coat and khakis with either a polo shirt or dress shirt without a tie will be ideal. I like a polo for Palo (brunch) myself. There will be a few men with ties on, but they are the exceptions. Some will not even wear the sport coat, but I figure I packed it so I might as well wear it.

Happy to hear not everyone was given the up-sells at Remy, but when I saw our bill, which I knew was going to be huge since DH was happily saying "Yes!", to almost everything the server offered, option-wise, but a $500 does not happen with out up-charges and was a major OUCH. MAJOR. DH got a talking to after that ordeal. Bless his heart, he was entirely CLUELESS or selectively deaf when the server was rattling off the prices for all the "options".

Glad we have done Remy. And glad so many had MUCH less expensive evenings there! You all may take our table space at any of our future cruises there. :flower3:
You are such a nice wife. I would have said “Are you kidding me, it’s $75.00 extra!” to my dear husband at the first suggestion of an upcharge.

To the original question on this thread, we’ve never been upsold at Palo. We always get the water choice question, but in the spirit that the tap water is fine unless we prefer to order a bottled water. At Remy, it felt like the opposite was the case, since we were asked if we wanted sparkling or still water and had to know to request the tap water.

I always tell our Palo server that I prefer to do my own wine pairings, since I usually order just two glasses and DW doesn’t drink alcohol. If I happen to order a full bottle of wine, I will have the leftovers sent on to our MDR for the following night’s dinner or take the leftovers back to our stateroom to enjoy on the verandah. Last time I did that, the server provided a wine glass to take to the room as well.

For Palo brunch, sport coat and khakis with either a polo shirt or dress shirt without a tie will be ideal. I like a polo for Palo (brunch) myself. There will be a few men with ties on, but they are the exceptions. Some will not even wear the sport coat, but I figure I packed it so I might as well wear it.

We are the dress down kind of folks - we will be wearing jeans and a button down shirt sans coat. I am actually feeling crazy bringing a button down shirt on this cruise, but we will make it fit in our carry on bag :)

Thank you for all the feedback - I feel much better about Palo now - we can say no to water and alcohol easily. Give me my Diet Coke and I am a happy camper! Sounds like the experience is a little waiter dependent at times, but overall relaxed at Palo...Remy still sounds like a nightmare to me :)

I was just going to say, do I need to get into the you have to wear a sport coat conversation with my DH? So he'd be ok in a polo or button down?

You are such a nice wife. I would have said “Are you kidding me, it’s $75.00 extra!” to my dear husband at the first suggestion of an upcharge.

ding ding ding, I would have been kicking him under the table at the first mention of spending an additional $75 and would have been louder after that. It would NOT have been a pleasant meal for us, but I too have a selective hearing DH and could totally see him not paying attention to the server when being given the options.

I was just going to say, do I need to get into the you have to wear a sport coat conversation with my DH? So he'd be ok in a polo or button down?

ding ding ding, I would have been kicking him under the table at the first mention of spending an additional $75 and would have been louder after that. It would NOT have been a pleasant meal for us, but I too have a selective hearing DH and could totally see him not paying attention to the server when being given the options.
Mine too!

How relaxed is the dress code now? I'll be eating there for brunch and had planned on wearing a sport coat and khakis. Are regular polos acceptable now?
Sport coat and khakis is fine. I wear either black dress pants with collared Hawaiian shirt, or in Alaska cruise I wore nice new blue jeans and a Hawaiian shirt with black doc marten shoes.

I’ve eaten at Palo a LOT. In fact, when hubby & I did a 4-night in April we ate at Palo EVERY night.

Yes. There are upcharge options. Wine/wine pairings. There’s also upcharge menu options. One is a price fixe option with a special menu & there’s also an upcharge steak option (Wagyu). No pressure. If you know what you want/don’t want you just politely say “no, thanks” or don’t order the upcharge things. Your bottle of wine that you’ve had in other dining rooms on the ship can be sent to Palo as well. Remy isn’t that much different. Go in knowing you want to ask for “Mickey water” vs bottled. Plan ahead if you want to add pairings or a bottle of wine. Only choose from the included menu options. It’s not a big deal at all. In fact, my absolute favorite Disney meal, land or sea, is Remy Brunch. I know how much it costs ahead of time. I know how much to add my pairings. I know how much to add an extra bottle of Pommery Pop. I go in knowing I’m asking for Mickey water. I know how much my Check will be at the end. No surprises. All amazing.

**EDIT**
Our Palo server for the 4 nights was amaaaaazing! He & the somolier loved my husband. Every time I tried to order a glass of wine or a glass of champagne he would inform them I wanted the bottle. I think he might’ve had alterior motives. o_O:P

Last edited:
I don't remember any upselling the single time we dined at Palo. They've already "upsold" you by getting you to dine at Palo for an additional cost (instead of for free in the MDR).

We had an upsell at Palo dinner recently. Our very funny waiter, Paolo (easy to remember!), offered Pellegrino when DD19 asked for seltzer. She said yes, then Paolo confirmed in the general direction of me and my husband because it costs extra. My husband said yes. Then, I ordered a bottle of wine, and my husband ordered a cocktail.

We enjoyed our drinks and the antipasto cart and appetizers and intermezzo and as Paolo was clearing the plates in anticipation of delivery of our entrees, I realize that Paolo is asking my husband if he “can get her another bottle?”

My head starts to spin—how did I manage to drink the whole bottle of wine ALREADY? Why is this guy asking my husband and not me about MY drink? I immediately call out Paolo on this (nicely of course), asking why he didn’t ask me and did I really finish a bottle of wine and Paolo sweetly explains that DD19 had just asked for a refill on the Pellegrino and he was confirming...

That sucks. When was that? (My last Remy meal was in 2015).

That is very sweet of you, mevelandry. I looked it up in my CC cruises. It was January 2016. And you know, Remy was super nice, no doubt. And I'm glad we have done it. :)

Well, I TRY to be a nice wife, but I think I was just dumbfounded (and I am almost NEVER without words!!LOL) that he was not only ordering TWO of those $75/per option courses (yes, $150), but he ALSO added the Wagyu for more too! LOL :sad2: Hey, it makes for great story telling now, right? :D

Oh I wanted to do exactly that. I just couldn't believe he had somehow not heard the prices of all those black truffle offerings. :rolleyes1 :joker:

:flower:But dear OP, to reiterate from my first post here, you have nothing to fear about going to wonderful Palo. Bottled water or wine pairings are about the only up-sells you might be offered. Easy peasy. You will love Palo!

We definitely weren't upsold on our recent Palo brunch. We each had the one discounted cocktail to start, fully intending to have more, but then we kept getting distracted by the food and realized later that our waiter never asked whether we wanted another.

We eat at Palo every cruise and have never had a server upsell us anything. Up 'feed' us? Yes! Hey, can't decide between the souffles' offered? let me bring you both :lmao:But no, never an upsell, it's always been a wonderful dining experience whether brunch or dinner.

While high-pressure sales tactics can be off-putting, and it's not appropriate for a server to be pushy, it's also important to keep in mind that the things that are being offered are meant to enhance the dining experience and many people enjoy them, so it's understandable that they offer them. For example, I prefer sparkling water with my meal (at any meal) and generally don't like tap water at a restaurant, stemming from a bad experience many years ago, so I like to be offered the choice as it saves me from having to request it after a glass of tap water is brought to my table. At the same time, I cannot stand the taste of truffles so I'd have no problem saying "no," irrespective of price. But for people who like truffles and know what ordering them entails as far as the cost goes, it's nice for them to have the option.

Keep in mind, particularly those of you who are conflict averse, that the server is working for you and you deserve to feel good about what you order! And also keep in mind that most people pass on the options (which is why they're options and not included) so if the server is disappointed, they chose the wrong career as it will happen time and time again.

While high-pressure sales tactics can be off-putting, and it's not appropriate for a server to be pushy, it's also important to keep in mind that the things that are being offered are meant to enhance the dining experience and many people enjoy them, so it's understandable that they offer them. For example, I prefer sparkling water with my meal (at any meal) and generally don't like tap water at a restaurant, stemming from a bad experience many years ago, so I like to be offered the choice as it saves me from having to request it after a glass of tap water is brought to my table. At the same time, I cannot stand the taste of truffles so I'd have no problem saying "no," irrespective of price. But for people who like truffles and know what ordering them entails as far as the cost goes, it's nice for them to have the option.

Keep in mind, particularly those of you who are conflict averse, that the server is working for you and you deserve to feel good about what you order! And also keep in mind that most people pass on the options (which is why they're options and not included) so if the server is disappointed, they chose the wrong career as it will happen time and time again.

I agree, and I think “upselling” and “pushy servers” can sometimes be in the eye of the beholder. Not that there aren’t pushy, overly-aggressive servers out there, but I’ve dined at Remy many times and never felt pressured to upgrade my experience.

Was there upselling? Sure. But I have never felt snookered into an option where the fact that it cost extra wasn’t explained clearly to me. Nor have I ever gotten a vibe of resentment or reproach from my server when I declined an option. Maybe I’ve just been lucky every time.

Same thing at Victoria & Albert’s. Plenty of “upgrades” have been presented to us, and we usually decline them all, with no discernible change in the server’s demeanor ever. They are always just as pleasant after we shoot them down as they are before.

As you said, some folks see upgrade options as just that - options. Others see it as “pressure”. All I can speak to is my own experience, and I’ve never felt any pressure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter