Do we need a generator ????? (+ some pics)

john59

<font color=navy>GOD BLESS <font color=red>AMERI
A couple of years ago, we left Pennsylvainia and went north through the Mountain States (WY, SD, CO, etc) and wound up at Fort Wilderness. Three months and 10,000 miles. I posted a series of pictures on the Board that Board Peeeeeples seemed to enjoy.

Now we are planning the reverse. Leaving the Fort and hitting the South West, up through California and back to Pennsylvania.

It appears that there are quite a few Federal Campgrounds along the Southern Border States. Hence, is a Generator in order. It will be during the summer. Your thoughts here would be great.

Your suggestions on a generator would be appreciated.

We have a 32ft TT and I like a bit more Watt coverage, than just have something that works, but not overkill---Not being mechanical, I hope that I conveyed our needs, in the last sentence.

Thanks, John---THE PIC IS TOBY OUR CAMPING DOGGIE

TOBY_005.JPG

A few years ago we traveled to Colorado up into Wyoming and then Montana and home through the Dakotas. Even with it being late June we never needed 110v power while we were out there. The weather was cool enough in the overnight (around 55-60) that we didnt need AC. I installed a second battery and we were able to dry camp for 3 days off the batteries while using the water pump, lights and radio. We moved around and never stayed more than 3 days without hookups but the one time I needed to I simply pulled the truck next to the trailer and hooked up the jumper cable to the battery, 20 minutes later we were fully charged up.

Big D Dad.

When we ran the SD, WY, Co in the summer there was no need for a generator.

I run 2 deep cycles and I can get about 3 days if I am not blasting the heater. Then my batteries start hurting. I did that one time in Washigton DC during December. It took me some time to get the batteries back to 1/2 charge on my truck with jumpers.

Now running the Southern Border, I believe some places it will he hot as Heck. That is why I am thinking generator.

Thanks for your thoughts, John

Big D Dad.

When we ran the SD, WY, Co in the summer there was no need for a generator.

I run 2 deep cycles and I can get about 3 days if I am not blasting the heater. Then my batteries start hurting. I did that one time in Washigton DC during December. It took me some time to get the batteries back to 1/2 charge on my truck with jumpers.

Now running the Southern Border, I believe some places it will he hot as Heck. That is why I am thinking generator.

Thanks for your thoughts, John

I wasnt really prepared for the open spaces out West, having never been out there I had nothing to compare it to. It was quite the learning experience.
I do know for a fact that in Yellowstone you are only allowed generator use during certain daylight hours. I suspect there are similar restrictions in other federal campgrounds. If you are going to run AC off the gen you would need to size it for that plus a margin for start up of the AC unit. From experience I would think a 2500w gen should run a smaller 13,500 AC unit but I dont have the formula that show that.
The charging of the batteries via the truck worked well for me but I have a diesel with a 145A alternator and a really good set of cables that I was able to hook directly to my trailer batteries.

Although I've have driven the 10 several times. I can't help much there. Now in California, it all depends on wich way your going. If you go thru the central valley, and if your wanting to see the Sequoias and Yosimitee it will be hot. Going up the 395 on the back side of Yosimitee is nice and there are lots of places to just pull over for a nite. Also most of the campgrounds might not have hookups. Now if you go up the coast, it will be much cooler and you probably won't need your ac. Lots of the State campgrounds that are at the beaches have a mix of non hookups and hookups. One thing to watch for here is that most of the State campgrounds are online with Reserve America. You can book 6 months out and you need too, most sites are gone within minutes of the first day of availability. 6 months out. Some save a couple sites for a daily lottery if there are any left. I had to book SeaCliff SB on Jan 2nd for July. I got my spot but everything was gone in 5 minutes.
Also, hwy 1 up the California coast is a beautiful drive but there are ares, like Big Sir that are pretty scary to drive.

Our plans and they are in infancy right now, is Pennsylvainia straight to Fort Wilderness, then we double back to Nashville. We were in Nashville once and had a ball.

So our starting point is Nashville to Memphis using RT 40 all the way to LasVegas. We will jump on and off 40 to go to points of interest.

When I think Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona, heat comes to mind. That is why I am thinking generator along RT 40 West.

Southern California up to Seattle and Rt 90 East to start back home.

Pulling our TT with a V10 F350 is a concern. Not pulling or stopping with a 1 ton is the problem. Feeding the V10 with petrol ($$$$$$$$$$) could sway where we go and stay. Wife Shirley when driving, she looks through, not over the steering wheel. BIG TRUCK.
Myrtle_Disney_Aug_Sept_2013_009.jpg

Do you want to be able to run the A/C with a genny, or just top off batteries? We have a Honda EU2000i that we bought for use with our previous TT and for power outages here in the Northeast. It did run our A/C on our TT if we had nothing else powered, but ours was a 13,500 BTU and not a 15,000, which I would guess that yours is at 32 feet. We didn't really use it for that, though, mostly to top off batteries when dry camping for long periods. The nice thing with Hondas is that they're RELATIVELY quiet (generators are noisy) and can be fairly easily be joined with a second one if you find that you have a need. There's a parallel kit or now they offer a EU2000i companion. It is also fairly light weight and portable, so easy enough to haul around.

We now have an onboard 4000 watt genny on our class C, but we kept the Honda for home use...which has saved our bacon a few times now with ice and snow storms.

Our plans and they are in infancy right now, is Pennsylvainia straight to Fort Wilderness, then we double back to Nashville. We were in Nashville once and had a ball. So our starting point is Nashville to Memphis using RT 40 all the way to LasVegas. We will jump on and off 40 to go to points of interest. When I think Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona, heat comes to mind. That is why I am thinking generator along RT 40 West. Southern California up to Seattle and Rt 90 East to start back home. Pulling our TT with a V10 F350 is a concern. Not pulling or stopping with a 1 ton is the problem. Feeding the V10 with petrol ($$$$$$$$$$) could sway where we go and stay. Wife Shirley when driving, she looks through, not over the steering wheel. BIG TRUCK.
impressive!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter