Do we really need a portable charger?

Looking into a portable charger based on suggestions to bring one. Husband is utterly unconvinced this is something we actually need. We've never needed one before (back in the days of Fastpass+) and we do usually take an afternoon break where we could theoretically charge the phones up again. However we are planning on using Genie+ and I hate to be unprepared. So I'm curious what all of you have done/are doing - portable chargers or no portable chargers?

Yes. They are so cheap at this point and easy to carry around in a small bag or pocket. Why would you not bring one?

LOL that was my argument too. I'll just buy it and bring it. Husband had me thinking I was crazy.

Does anyone have a particular model you recommend?

LOL that was my argument too. I'll just buy it and bring it. Husband had me thinking I was crazy.

Does anyone have a particular model you recommend?
The Disney Parks have little kiosks inside gift shops that sell “fuel rod” chargers. You pay a one time charge of $30. The charger comes with the short wire connections and an adapter for charging your phone and also for recharging the fuel rod. You can exchange a spent fuel rod for a fully charged one for free at these kiosks. (It’s only slightly bigger than a roll of lifesavers candy.)

The Disney Parks have little kiosks inside gift shops that sell “fuel rod” chargers. You pay a one time charge of $30. The charger comes with the short wire connections and an adapter for charging your phone and also for recharging the fuel rod. You can exchange a spent fuel rod for a fully charged one for free at these kiosks. (It’s only slightly bigger than a roll of lifesavers candy.)

Fuel Rods are exceptionally low capacity at only 2600 mhA each. That's not even enough to fully charge up my phone battery one time.

There are FAR better chargers available that can charge a phone 2+ times fully at half the price of a Fuel Rod. Fuel Rod is an immense rip off.

My husband has an old Moto which lasts much longer than my iphone 12 mini. My phone is usually dead after 4 hours of using MDE and turns into a paper weight. We tried using the portable charging station available in the parks but the connection was either missing or they wanted us to purchase.

The end-state for me is looking for ways to reduce the number of things I have to plan, pack, or carry on my person at all times. I try to maintain a love hate relationship with my dopamine drip (cell phone) and look for ways for us to keep space from each other. If this is the goal a portable charger will not be needed. If you can't live without your cell phone then you will need a charger.

The end-state for me is looking for ways to reduce the number of things I have to plan, pack, or carry on my person at all times. I try to maintain a love hate relationship with my dopamine drip (cell phone) and look for ways for us to keep space from each other. If this is the goal a portable charger will not be needed. If you can't live without your cell phone then you will need a charger.

If anyone is planning to use the Disney app or Genie+, a charger is essential. Every Disney branded app is a massive battery hog.

No matter what I do, my brand new Galaxy S22 is basically dead after 5 hours in Disneyland. I cannot make it a whole day on one charge, because I use it for Mobile Ordering, obtaining DAS return times, checking wait times, etc.

If you're thinking about buying a portable cell phone charger: google the mAh of your phone. Look at the mAh of the charger you are considering. If you do the math, it will tell you how many times the charger can charge up a completely dead battery. Fuel Rod is probably less than once.

If you have a bad back, also look at the weight of the charger. It might weigh more than your phone. That adds weight to your park bag.

Pay attention to the USB port on the charger. The charger will come with a cable that you plug into your phone or tablet adapter, then plug the adapter into an electrical outlet to charge the charger. But the part of the cable that plugs into the adapter might be USB-A. Also when you plug your phone into the charger, the charger's port might be USB-A. But newest iphones are Lightning to USB-C. Do you have an adapter and cable which are USB-A, if that's what charger uses?

Anker and Mophie are reputable brands which can be found at Target, Walmart, Best Buy and Amazon.

I know some people (not me!) are proud of their plan to limit their cell phone use on vacation. But I enjoy taking photos, and I use my phone as my camera.

We're expecting up to a foot of snow tonight and may have power outages. I'm going to go plug in my portable charger in case we lose power.

Edited the next morning to add: we didn't lose power on my block, but 37,000 people in the area did. If we had lost power, at least I would know that I could keep my phone charged!

Last edited:
100% yes. My mom didn't bring one on our mother/daughter trip we took in late February and her phone died mid afternoon on our MK day due to using Genie+/ILL and mobile order. If you want to use the Disney Play app or even play Head's up on your phone, forget about it. Heck, if you want to take photos of your trip you'll need that extra battery life. She ended up having to buy one of the Disney fuel rods - they have kiosks at all of the parks and at the resorts (not sure if they are at all resorts. I saw ones at Wilderness Lodge and Port Orleans French Quarter + Riverside).

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun....p?skuId=6402500&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=149
This is the one I have (Yes I know it's expensive, I was able to get mine while it was on sale for $50) and it's a lifesaver. Not that big/heavy and charges your phone in lightning speed. Also has 2 ports so you can charge 2 phones at once.

I’m with your husband on this one. Never needed a portable charger at WDW. We go three weeks each year. Enjoy the parks! Using Genie etc should come nowhere near to ever draining a phone over the course of one day (unless you have an older phone and haven’t updated a the battery).

Better to be safe than sorry? Can always purchase from Target and leave in packaging and return if you never use it?

My phone never would have lasted without a portable charger at Disney. In fact I had an ECV last trip and I even had to pull over to charge that after cross crossing all over the place with genie lol!

Chargers are cheap and easy to use. Why not get one or two.

Easiest way to see if you need one is to use your phone at your home for 3 hours straight . If you used more than 25% of your battery , you will not have enough power to go through the 12 hour day.

Didnt end up needing mine but was glad I had it just in case. Between the apps, taking pictures etc.
As others have said anker is good. I have one of their chargers that is a bit smaller than a deck of cards. Handy to have when you are out of the house. I end up using it a lot at work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter