Do we really want the UN to get involved in Iraq?

UncleKyle

Currently booking another trip Home
I'm at my college library right now researching on Lexis Nexus for a paper comparing human rights in China and Cuba. (by the way if anyone has any info or help PM me, the paper is worth 40% of my grade)

Here is an article I found about how ridicilous the United Nations really is. I've heard some of this before but this is still makes me mad. I didn't realize it was so long till after I pasted it, but please read, it's worth it.

The Toronto Sun

February 2, 2003 Sunday, Final Edition
HEADLINE: UN HAS BEEN HIJACKED BY THE WORLD'S WORST

BYLINE: LORRIE GOLDSTEIN, EDITOR

With the United Nations now inflicting moral outrages on the civilized world at the rate of about one a week, the question must be asked if the world body can be saved from itself.

Last week's outrage was the news that Iraq will co-chair the UN's key disarmament negotiating forum during its May 12 to June 27 meetings in Geneva. The chairs are chosen alphabetically and it's Iraq's turn, along with co-chair ... wait for it ... Iran.

Never mind that Iraq is under UN sanctions for invading Kuwait, is in defiance of UN Security Council resolutions regarding its own disarmament and that Iraq and Iran, another dictatorship, fought a brutal, eight-year war against each other for most of the 1980s. Such jaw-dropping inanities are simply business as usual at the UN.

The week before, it was word that Libya, one of the world's worst human rights violators, had been elected to chair the UN Human Rights Commission.

The subject of my column last week, I've since done some further research on the UNHRC and can report it is perhaps the most inappropriately named body on Earth.

Of the world's nine worst dictatorships as identified by the respected rights-monitoring agency Freedom House, five - Libya, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria and Cuba - are all members of this commission that is ostensibly devoted to human rights.

So are China and Russia, respectively responsible for the brutal repression of Tibet and Chechnya, identified by Freedom House as the two least-free territories on Earth.

Zimbabwe - which Freedom House cites as one of the top five setbacks for the cause of world freedom in 2002 under Robert Mugabe's policies of repression, violence, corruption and terror - is also a proud member of the UNHRC.

Of its 53 members, almost 25% are dictatorships.

Aside from being on the UNHRC, Syria, a rogue state which supports terrorism and occupies Lebanon, is also a member of the UN Security Council. Two years ago, Sudan would have been on the council had not the U.S. intervened.

As Nancy Soderberg, who served as a UN ambassador from 1997-2001, wrote last week in an article entitled "Take back the UN" in the The Washington Times: "Since the end of the Cold War, the member states of the United Nations have let the body's repressive regimes hold much of the UN hostage to their agenda. Undemocratic regimes win positions on key UN bodies and then block any criticism of their actions or those of their dictatorial colleagues."
UNRELENTING ATTACKS ON ISRAEL
An offshoot of this has been the UN's obsessive and unrelenting attacks on Israel, driven largely by a coalition of Arab and other Third World dictatorships, which burst into the open as raw anti-Semitism against Jews in general at the infamous world conference on racism in Durban in 2001, a meeting which the UNHRC played a key role in organizing.

As Soderberg observes: "Of the 59 (General Assembly) resolutions on which roll-call votes were taken during the 2001 session, nearly half dealt with Israel, while the General Assembly remained silent on the actions of many ruthless, undemocratic regimes."

The UNHRC has a similar record of hypocrisy in singling out Israel for condemnation, which is not to say that Israel should be above criticism for its often brutal treatment of innocent Palestinians in the Disputed Territories, mainly in response to terrorism. But at the UN, condemnation of Israel goes on constantly while the world body turns a blind eye to far worse human rights violations all over the globe.

Michael Goldfarb, senior press officer at Freedom House, says the fundamental problem at the UN is that while tyrannical nations are in the minority, they constantly act as a voting bloc, unlike the UN's democracies which actually form the majority of UN members, but seldom act in concert.

"Thirty-three of the 53 members of the UNHRC - an electoral majority - are democracies," Goldfarb notes, but "they don't work as a bloc in the way the dictatorships do, and as long as this sort of thing continues, it will be closed societies that continue to call the shots at the UN."

Complicating the issue is that five regional voting blocs control key UN appointments. For example, the African group was instrumental in getting Libya appointed to head the UNHRC after the first meeting of the new African Union was largely financed by Libyan dictator Moammar Khadafy's oil-wealthy regime. "Basically, Libya bought the chairmanship of the UNHRC," Goldfarb notes.

He argues the root problem at the UN is its naive notion that every state is equal to every other, regardless of whether it is a dictatorship or a democracy and regardless of its record on human, civil and political rights.

Those interested in reforming the UN, like Soderberg and Freedom House, have called for the creation of a "democracy caucus" within the world body - meaning democratic countries who are in the majority would begin to work together to block the appointment of tyrannies to key UN posts, in other words beating the dictatorships at their own game.

This is certainly appropriate given that UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan has observed, as Soderberg notes, that only "when the United Nations can truly call itself a community of democracies (will) the charter's noble ideals of protecting human rights" be realized. Exactly. Until that happens, the UN's credibility will remain in tatters. While it may perform some valuable services in areas such as fighting disease and poverty, it should simply not be taken seriously on major political issues by the world's democracies.

Do we really want the UN to get involved in Iraq?

Amazingly, they are pretty adept at administering humanitarian aid so I have little problem with their involvment in that space. Beyond that they are pretty disfunctional, so, NO.

Humanitarian efforts? Sure! Building a new Iraqi government? Nope.

Lorrie Goldstein is doing what he does best; stir the pot. It's unfortunate that in this case he's tossed in ingredients that don't go together and selectively omitted others from the recipe. The Toronto Sun uses freedom of the press as a lisence to promote propaganda and upset ethnic harmony of Canada.

The week before, it was word that Libya, one of the world's worst human rights violators, had been elected to chair the UN Human Rights Commission.

The current commisioner of the UNHRC is Mr. Sergio Vieira de Mello of Brazil.

Of the world's nine worst dictatorships as identified by the respected rights-monitoring agency Freedom House, five - Libya, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria and Cuba - are all members of this commission that is ostensibly devoted to human rights.

Of the world's nine worst dictatorships as identified by the respected rights-monitoring agency Freedom House, two - Eritrea and Uzbekistan are members of the Coalition of the Willing.

UNRELENTING ATTACKS ON ISRAEL
An offshoot of this has been the UN's obsessive and unrelenting attacks on Israel, driven largely by a coalition of Arab and other Third World dictatorships, which burst into the open as raw anti-Semitism against Jews in general at the infamous world conference on racism in Durban in 2001, a meeting which the UNHRC played a key role in organizing.

People recall unfortunate and offensive visual and verbal expressions of intolerance that tarnished some of the events surrounding the Conference and drew extensive news coverage at the time. Sentiments of antagonism and discontent were underscored by the decision of the United States of America and Israel to withdraw from the Conference, an ill-advised step which other countries did not follow suit.

Then UN Human Rights High Commissioner Mary Robinson (Ireland, 1997-2002), who also served as the secretary-general of the conference, expressed her "dismay" at the anti-Israel and anti-Zionist language in the NGO document adopted Saturday night.

She said at a news conference that she finds it disturbing that "hurtful" terms such as ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity were hurled at the Jews - who have suffered in the past as victims - in the NGO document.

Although it is a matter of form for the secretary-general of the conference to send the NGO document to the governmental forum with a recommendation to adopt its declarations and plan of actions, she said that she will not be able to do so with this document.

Mr Goldstein only reveals part of the story of what happened at the NGO.

Yes, reforms have to be made at the UN. But, before tearing the UN apart and breaking it down, one should do some legitimate research on all the efforts and successes made by the UN in the past and during the present. One might be pleasantly surprised.

Originally posted by dmadman43
Amazingly, they are pretty adept at administering humanitarian aid so I have little problem with their involvment in that space. Beyond that they are pretty disfunctional, so, NO.

I agree. Let them do the humanitarian part, but nothing else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter