• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you believe in voodoo?

Domo

Wotcha
Random question, I know, but I'm curious.

Feel free to chime in about crystals, Ouija boards and the such.

I don't, but I have a good friend who practices Santeria, which is the Latin America version of voodoo. Same religious practices & rituals as voodoo. I don't follow or practice that particular religion, but it's a very real thing. The last part of my friend's year-long initiation (in which you have to wear nothing but white the whole year, including white shoes) required him to steal something. Getting possessed by various spirits occurs sometimes at their religious gatherings & ceremonies. My friend has told me about times in which he himself has been possessed and "lost time"...sometimes for a few hours at such a ceremony or religious gathering. Afterwards, other people there told him about what he did and said and all that and he had no memory of any of it. Usually a person gets assigned a particular spirit to watch over him/her and you'd have a small altar in your home dedicated to that spirit, where you leave offerings to it...usually small stuff like food or alcohol. People who practice Santeria will often go to a 'botanica' to purchase stuff they need for various ceremonies.

And Ouija boards...stay the heck away from those. Those are really dangerous.

Someone who practices Voodoo or Santeria may sometimes tell a non-Voodoo/Santeria person that they pray to the same saints as a Catholic does. But my Santeria-practicing friend informed me that it's actually very different. The religion began in west Africa and when they came over as slaves to the New World, Catholic priests & nuns basically outlawed their native religion from back home. So they quickly figured out that it would be easier to assign each of their 'saints' from voodoo/Santeria to a Catholic saint.

But no...they are not the same. When a Santero prays to one of their saints, he is praying to an orisha. So, for example, when a Santero prays to Our Lady of Mercy, he's actually praying to Obatala...very different. When a Santero/Santera is praying to & lighting a candle of Saint Peter, he/she is actually praying to Ogun. Each orisha has different strengths & weaknesses.

Many Santeria ceremonies are spoken in the Yoruba language...that and Spanish. But when they're calling upon their saints, they do it in Yoruba.

I do in the same, general way of people practicing and believing in whatever religion they choose.

No, but I don’t mess around with the satanic. I definitely believe in evil.

Voodoo has nothing to do with satan or Satanism or evil for that matter. Satan is a Christian creation.

I've known a lot of Pagans and growing up in South Florida around a lot of Haitians, a lot f practitioners of Voodoo. It's a common misconception that Voodoo is somehow inherently evil. This is incorrect.

Voodoo believe that everything is done by spirits. If you are sick, it's a spirit. In good health, another spirit. Your crops do poor, another spirit. Your crops do well? You get the idea.

Depends on what you mean by "believe in it". I know it exists. It is a thing. Do I believe the same as they do? No. Do I believe some of what they believe in could be the truth? Yes. I believe there is some level of truth in any faith/religion.

I also find it intriguing.

Oh, and you mention Ouija boards.

Anyway, I don't like them. I am not afraid of it, I don't believe it calls anyone from anywhere, let alone "the dead". I just don't like them. Honestly not a lot of experience with them but that is because I don't like them LOL.

I don’t believe in the magical/mystical beliefs of it, but I do think thoughts and rituals have power over the believer, even if they’re psychosomatic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter