Do you bring snacks for kids?

FSU Girl

DIS Veteran
I'm doing my first trip with kids this weekend. We have dining reservations booked for almost all three meals most days, but some we just have dinner. I know a hungry kid is a cranky kid. Should I pack snacks and bring them in a backpack? I've never brought my own food before, this is allowed right? I was thinking maybe those lunch sized chip bags? What do people do?

When my kids were little, we didn't. They were never big on snacks, especially when they were so distracted at WDW, but would eat the side off the house at a meal. We would get a Dole Whip or Mickey bar here or there but left the snacks in the hotel room.

I'm doing my first trip with kids this weekend. We have dining reservations booked for almost all three meals most days, but some we just have dinner. I know a hungry kid is a cranky kid. Should I pack snacks and bring them in a backpack? I've never brought my own food before, this is allowed right? I was thinking maybe those lunch sized chip bags? What do people do?

Yes it is allowed. We take a few snacks in. We buy snacks in the parks but it's nice to have something immediate for DD - she gets hangry quick. I usually pack a small plastic container with pretzels or chips so they don't get crushed in the backpack.

How old are the kids? I would probably ask them what they would like. Chips aren't really a good choice because they crunch pretty easily in a bag.

Yes it is allowed. We take a few snacks in. We buy snacks in the parks but it's nice to have something immediate for DD - she gets hangry quick. I usually pack a small plastic container with pretzels or chips so they don't get crushed in the backpack.
How old are the kids? I would probably ask them what they would like. Chips aren't really a good choice because they crunch pretty easily in a bag.

I'm glad I asked, I didn't think about how easy chips would get crushed. The kids are 9 and 13.

We always bring tons of snacks, my husband eats as many as DD. Granola bars, goldfish, pretzels, fruit snacks. Always good to have something , if we don’t eat it we bring it home, if we do and it saves me from a melt down even better.

I'm glad I asked, I didn't think about how easy chips would get crushed. The kids are 9 and 13.
So definitely old enough to have strong opinions. And honestly, probably old enough to carry their own snacks in. And old enough they shouldn't be having a meltdown without a snack. You just might ask what they'd like you to have on hand for them.

I really prefer to eat Disney snacks in the parks, so we never bring food in with us.

So definitely old enough to have strong opinions. And honestly, probably old enough to carry their own snacks in. And old enough they shouldn't be having a meltdown without a snack. You just might ask what they'd like you to have on hand for them.

I really prefer to eat Disney snacks in the parks, so we never bring food in with us.
I normally eat Disney snacks too. We're probably just bringing one backup into the park that my fiance will wear. The older one is autistic and loves snacking so I want to bring something for her for sure. The younger one just enjoys food, but she can get hangry if we go a long time without food so I figure having a snack on hand could help with that.

I normally eat Disney snacks too. We're probably just bringing one backup into the park that my fiance will wear. The older one is autistic and loves snacking so I want to bring something for her for sure. The younger one just enjoys food, but she can get hangry if we go a long time without food so I figure having a snack on hand could help with that.

My DD8 gets hangry after about an hour without food lol. I wish I had her metabolism!

My kids are a lot younger but we brought small snack bags of crackers and applesauce pouches. We also had meals booked throughout the day so this was just in case anyone got "hangry". I think we ended up not needing the snacks as much as I thought since everyone filled up at mealtime. I think it wouldn't hurt to bring something like granola bars, nuts or whatever small filling item your kids like to snack on.

Yes for sure! My kids have been much younger going to the parks, but I always traveled with granola bars, applesauce pouches, snack bags of goldfish, etc. We usually eat breakfast in our room, so having a mid-morning snack helped with holding them off until lunch.

It was also helpful to have little snacks while we were waiting for buses, monorails, etc.

I brought some cereal for my son on our last trip, but he was 18 months old. At ages 9 and 13, I’d either tell them to bring whatever they want themselves or get snacks in the park.

I have a preschooler, but I always pack snacks. Usually I fill a quart ziplock with a small bag of Goldfish, some Dum Dum lollipops, a pack of raisins and an applesauce squeeze pack. None of that will melt/crush, and it easily fits into a larger cross body purse.

These have definitely helped avoid some hangry meltdowns/boredom in lines.

When we travel with children they tend to be the older ones (9-12 y/o) nowadays. I pack snacks which may or may not be left in a box on the d/r table (sigh).
Last trip it was nuts and dried fruit; clementines, sturdy cookies, fruit leather, veggie chips, apple sauce and fruit cocktail plus little packets of chocolate. Nothing made it into the luggage except the clementines since I remembered to check the fridge before we left. Now I'll get to see how long it will take the man to eat the contents of the box;).
Disney has no problem with food being brought into the park that I'm aware of just be prepared for the baggage security check at some monorail entrances and all park entrances.
Oh and none of the kids or adults starved without those snacks.

When DS was younger and very picky about what he ate, I would pack things like pretzels in my bag. As he got older, there is nothing he liked more than snacking around WDW! If the kids will like the snacks offered in the parks (and there is a GREAT variety, now, IMHO, from fruit to hummus and pretzels, fruit and cheese platters, etc.) and you don't mind buying, I would just buy stuff in the parks. There are some great places to get snacks there. The gift shop and the cart across from the safari in AK has great stuff, EP WS, of course and there is also a great cart in between the Land and Journey into Imagination that has interesting offerings.

Until my son was about 5 I'd carry a little baggie with cheeze its (his snack of choice at the time) with us, I never carried a big bag so it had to fit in a cross body. After that, we would just buy something in the park but not very often. We aren't snack type people, we tend to just eat our meals or a piece of fruit if we are hungry in between.

When DS was younger and very picky about what he ate, I would pack things like pretzels in my bag. As he got older, there is nothing he liked more than snacking around WDW! If the kids will like the snacks offered in the parks (and there is a GREAT variety, now, IMHO, from fruit to hummus and pretzels, fruit and cheese platters, etc.) and you don't mind buying, I would just buy stuff in the parks. There are some great places to get snacks there. The gift shop and the cart across from the safari in AK has great stuff, EP WS, of course and there is also a great cart in between the Land and Journey into Imagination that has interesting offerings.
I was REALLY pleased with the variety of healthful yet tasty snacks at the parks. There was some sort of stand open near Liberty Square @ MK that offered fresh fruits and cups (most counted as snack credits) and another at AK called Harambe's Fresh Fruit Market that did a landmark business. It was heartening in all senses of the word to find more than the average carnival type food stuff.

We always bring snacks. My daughter is what I like to call a 'grazer' She eats small amounts constantly. She is also a picky eater so there are times when nothing appeals to her. I mean she would never try a Churro or a Dole Whip lol! Anyway, I bring these small tupperware-like containers to the parks to put 'crunchy' stuff in... the other nice thing is that if we have some leftovers - like half a bag of potato chips or grapes, we can throw them in the tupperware. I usually bring an orange or an apple to the parks too.

We always bring snacks. My daughter is what I like to call a 'grazer' She eats small amounts constantly. She is also a picky eater so there are times when nothing appeals to her. I mean she would never try a Churro or a Dole Whip lol! Anyway, I bring these small tupperware-like containers to the parks to put 'crunchy' stuff in... the other nice thing is that if we have some leftovers - like half a bag of potato chips or grapes, we can throw them in the tupperware. I usually bring an orange or an apple to the parks too.
The Tupperware idea is a good one. I had already bought some chips so this would help with them not getting crushed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter