Do you care what your luggage looks like?

marthachick

Traveling Grammy
Do you buy new luggage even though the old still works? We have some luggage that we've had for several years now. It's scuffed up and looks kind of worn. (I clean it up after every trip.) But it still rolls fine and the zippers all work and there are no holes in it. We usually fly at least once a year. I've been debating on buying new but I'm cheap. I hate to buy new just to have it trashed by airlines.

After 25 years, I finally bought new luggage this year. The old was starting to rip. My only care was being distinctive to easily spot.

Nope. We've had our luggage going on 13 years plus a few pieces that are pushing 18 years. One has a small tear on the outside so I put some duct tape over it. As long as it does the job fine, I couldn't care less what it looks like. When all else fails, I have two large duffel bags that you could stuff a body in that will work as well.

We bought new luggage this year because my DH didn't have a set and my set was starting to die because it was missing zipper pulls and ripping in some places. I had my set for about 6 years but I travel for work quite frequently, so my luggage gets a lot of abuse. We decided to take advantage of our wedding registry discount to buy some new pieces from Macy's. Like a PP said, we want our luggage to be distinct so we bought bright blue bags. I will never buy black luggage.

I try to avoid worrying to much about possible problems, but in the case of luggage (<- see what I did there? Case. Luggage, I crack myself up) Older is better. Nothing says "Pick me!" to a luggage thief like a nice new set of bags.

Lol. Punny. I mean funny! And good point about the theives. Never thought about that!

Don't care. Most of our luggage is 13 years old and one bag is 8. Although, I was thrilled to have a Minnie Mouse American Tourister bag given to me for Christmas!

I bought the ugliest, brightest piece of luggage I could find - a red orange shiny vinyl roller bag. I figured if/when I checked it NO ONE would try to steal it because it was far more obvious than a dull black bag and I could spot it a mile away on the conveyor. When doing carry on no one would steal while I was in an airport restaurant being a bit inattentive because the wheels were incredibly squeaky, like a burglar alarm. My apologies to those who had to hear me rolling it through the airport. I decided the uglier, the better for all the above reasons, and when it is ugly, you also don't worry over marks, scratches, dings, etc. Very liberating.

Do you buy new luggage even though the old still works? We have some luggage that we've had for several years now. It's scuffed up and looks kind of worn. (I clean it up after every trip.) But it still rolls fine and the zippers all work and there are no holes in it. We usually fly at least once a year. I've been debating on buying new but I'm cheap. I hate to buy new just to have it trashed by airlines.
We had to buy new for a trip the year. As soon as it came down the ramp I saw it was covered in black marks and the handle was ripped . I'm glad I went cheap and we will be keeping these until they die....no sense if you are flying to buy new, as they probably won't look it after one trip.

Nope. As long as it's durable and holds our stuff.... I got my last cases at Goodwill, in amazing great shape. I add colorful duct tape to them so they're easier to spot -why spend a lot on cases that are going to be tossed around like garbage when I check them anyway?:thumbsup2 So far,so good!

Airlines/airports are bad.... I found cruise terminal are worse for luggage abuse.

I have nice luggage for road trips.... but have a second set for cruises and when I'm flying.

We had to buy new for a trip the year. As soon as it came down the ramp I saw it was covered in black marks and the handle was ripped . I'm glad I went cheap and we will be keeping these until they die....no sense if you are flying to buy new, as they probably won't look it after one trip.

We went cheap for the kids, but the luggage didn't hold up for more than three trips. So the next time we went with still not expensive but a good solid brand from somewhere like Marshalls or TJ Maxx. Not a lot of choice in what it looks like, but much better quality. It doesn't save you money if you spend $30 less, but have to replace the bag every three years.

No, I don't care at all what it looks like as long as it performs as it should. Heck, even then, we don't buy new luggage...we have a couple of pieces that don't zip smoothly but never seem to get around to replacing them. We also only have a very small set and would be better off buying 2-4 new pieces but only in 2 sizes (checked size & carryon size) since when we travel together for more than a few days we usually have to borrow at least one piece of luggage.

Don't buy new. One trip can make new luggage look shabby. Get or make a new fun luggage tag if you want something new.

I don't invest in great luggage, especially after reading so much about bedbugs and traveling. I want a bag I can toss without a thought if need be.

Nope, we are divers so our luggage gets stuffed to the gills, holds wet smelly gear and goes some strange places. As long as the zipper works and it rolls, we are happy. We do have about 5 different sets because it took us a while to find some that was light weight enough to get gear in and still be under 50 lbs yet sturdy enough to last more than one flight. We also use different bags if we are driving then if we are flying and different if we aren't diving but just visiting.

We went cheap for the kids, but the luggage didn't hold up for more than three trips. So the next time we went with still not expensive but a good solid brand from somewhere like Marshalls or TJ Maxx. Not a lot of choice in what it looks like, but much better quality. It doesn't save you money if you spend $30 less, but have to replace the bag every three years.
True, but cheap doesn't always mean poor quality.It just means I didn't spend a lot- which is also relative.

nope. we own several very large fabric suitcases and both are spray painted with hot pink stencils of stuff my kid liked when she was little. portal cakes, doctor who tardis pics, star wars symbols, and various nerdy things. it's hideously ugly and stands out like a sore thumb. but you know what? we have NEVER lost one of our obnoxious bags and no one has ever pulled one off the airport belt thinking it was theirs. it's perfect for us because we only care that 1. our luggage makes it to where it needs to be, 2. that we can find it quickly on the belt, and 3. no one would ever be caught dead trying to steal it. it'd be like trying to discreetly ride a hot pink ostrich through main street. when i have to replace our 17 year old one, that too will be painted in the brightest and ugliest fashion possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter