Do you charge family and friends?

If they are coming with us? No. I am not going to charge them. If they are going without me? Yes. You need X points for a week in a studio? Well then it is the dues for X points plus another $2 a point for me to book it. Hasn't been a problem so far.

The group that I travel with considers a WDW DVC trip along the same lines as if we all rented a house together somewhere. Everyone chips in for the costs of the lodging and pays for their own flights, WDW tickets, food etc. They know that DVC has a cost to me and they are fine contributing some dollars toward that cost. The trips are typically "hey, lets plan the next group trip to WDW" and not the case of me inviting them on "my" trip.

If it's family, then no charge. I figure it all balances out over a lifetime. For friends, it depends on the relationship: if it is one of my lifelong friends, then also a "no", as that usually balances out as well (we use one buddy's ski cabin every year, for example, and another does my taxes, etc.). Extended friends? Have never had anyone ask, or had any reason to offer, but it would probably depend on the circumstances.

Last edited:
It depends. If my sister comes along for the trip, I wouldn’t charge her anything. We wouldn’t be using any extra points, so I don’t see the need in charging her.

We’re going for a longer trip for Marathon Weekend, and had to upgrade from a 1bed to a 2bed so my aunt and cousins could stay with us. We ended up deciding to charge them the annual dues on the difference in points between a 1 bed for wine and dine (when we usually would’ve gone) and the room we booked.

The response here is so one-sided I wonder if we really have a representative response, or if folks who do charge their guests are just embarrassed to pipe up!

If it helps, I don't think there's anything wrong with having friends and family pay for their room, any more than I would object to a group of friends traveling together splitting the cost of an AirBNB.

It's not my family's situation, because we are more financially blessed than most of our friends and family, so DVC is in part a way to bring them along with us. But that's not everybody's situation!
The answers to a question like this are mainly going to vary by how many points one uses for their trips vs how many points they own. Unlike the vacation home analogy, DVC is limited quantity- if your guest uses the points you are now "out" and don't get to use them. Rarely is one who has a family trip planned going to buy a room to give a free room to her neighbor... so there's nothing greedy about charginga replacement rate, especially for someone who uses their points.

I suspect the answers are skewed by people afraid to say- now that others are making public statements about how generous they are. I am generally far more giving than most people; I learned this from my years watching the finances of parent teacher groups and working with charities. But I don't randomly book friends and family free hotels rooms when they want a vacation, which is exactly what getting someone a DVC room is. People can do that if they would like, but even common sense tells us that is not as common as this discussion would leave one to believe. I've seen far more posts discussing charging family and friends in the low $20's/point than I have discussing giving away free rooms.
I have no fear of responding truthfully and candidly, and I did. I don't charge people. I don't know if others do or don't, but I do not. If your financial circumstances prohibit you from offering free accommodations to family or friends, there's nothing wrong with that. For others, the ability to do so may very well be less of a financial burden and that's ok too. To suggest that people are "afraid" to volunteer a truthful answer, when they can simply choose not to respond at all, is a bit of a stretch.

It would be interesting to see if the results would be different if it was an anonymous poll.

Personally, I've never invited people with the intent of charging them.

I had a group of friends on a trip last year who insisted on paying me something beyond dinner (finally settled on they'd cover the dues for their room), but otherwise have never charged anyone.

I have no fear of responding truthfully and candidly, and I did. I don't charge people. I don't know if others do or don't, but I do not. If your financial circumstances prohibit you from offering free accommodations to family or friends, there's nothing wrong with that. For others, the ability to do so may very well be less of a financial burden and that's ok too. To suggest that people are "afraid" to volunteer a truthful answer, when they can simply choose not to respond at all, is a bit of a stretch.
The point was that after a bunch of people chime in to say they would never dream of charging someone, and some of the posts do suggest that it would be unkind to do so, I believe people are less likely to admit that they are charging. As you're demonstrating, people like to talk about their kindness.

It would be interesting to see if the results would be different if it was an anonymous poll.
What I'd find interesting is why those people that are assumed to be lying feel they can't be honest. Is there some implied stigma attached to charging friends and family? Do they feel there is some societal norm or convention that they think they have violated? People are typically less than truthful out of shame or guilt, or a sense that their actions are not aligned with generally accepted societal norms.

Whether they should feel shame or guilt or not isn't really the issue, but rather WHY there is an underlying sense or feeling that what they are doing is something that they cannot be honest and transparent in discussing.

The point was that after a bunch of people chime in to say they would never dream of charging someone, and some of the posts do suggest that it would be unkind to do so, I believe people are less likely to admit that they are charging. As you're demonstrating, people like to talk about their kindness.
Right, but the very first seven posts in response to the question were in the negative. It's not like someone answered "yes" first, then everyone piled on with contrived responses to berate them or gang up on them (I don't think anyone has been outwardly critical of those who do charge family and friends). And no, I don't like to talk about my kindness (I actually suggested that everything balances out, and that it's not some charity effort on my part, so that's a non-starter), but I will respond when it's suggested that I am a liar.

Last edited:
I’ve never charged family. They take care of their airfare and we get the rest. However, this year we had another family ask to join us and said they wanted their own 2 bedroom place. So I am having them pay me cost per point and they are happy to do it. They know they are getting the place for much less than if they booked themselves and I can make sure we are all together at the resort. They have never done Disney before so it’s fun to bring them along. I am happily making all the reservations for parks and restaurants but they will be paying for their own family. I think it’s a great way to include more folks. I am not making a profit. I am basically giving up a year of DVC for the pleasure of their company so I don’t think it’s out of line to have them cover my costs.

Right, but the very first seven posts in response to the question were in the negative. It's not like someone answered "yes" first, then everyone piled on with contrived responses to berate them or gang up on them (I don't think anyone has been outwardly critical of those who do charge family and friends). And no, I don't like to talk about my kindness (I actually suggested that everything balances out, and that it's not some charity effort on my part, so that's a non-starter), but I will respond when it's suggested that I am a liar.
I feel like we are reading different posts?
All of the initial responses are that people don't charge others.
Nobody is suggesting that anyone is lying, just that after reading through a bunch of responses that people would never charge someone others who do charge people are less likely to respond.

Nobody is suggesting that anyone is lying, just that after reading through a bunch of responses that people would never charge someone others who do charge people are less likely to respond.
Indeed, I absolutely did not mean that anybody was lying! I assume everybody posting here is being honest. I have no reason to think otherwise!

My only question was whether people on the other side of the issue might just not be posting at all, for exactly the reasons 'mistysue' stated. So we're getting honest responses from one camp, while the other camp is staying out of it.

Indeed, I absolutely did not mean that anybody was lying! I assume everybody posting here is being honest. I have no reason to think otherwise!

My only question was whether people on the other side of the issue might just not be posting at all, for exactly the reasons 'mistysue' stated. So we're getting honest responses from one camp, while the other camp is staying out of it.
I responded early in that I did charge my family, and honestly I deleted what I was posting before deciding to go back and actually post it because after reading so many people giving away free trips I kind of felt like a jerk.

And my point is that you said this:
I suspect the answers are skewed by people afraid to say- now that others are making public statements about how generous they are.
Which suggests that a whole bunch of people (the vast majority in the thread) answered honestly that they don't charge, but that there are somehow some similar number who just happened to all be late to the party and would answer differently if not for all the "generous" folks tooting their own horns in "public statements" making them feel uncomfortable telling the truth. An answer skewed by someone "afraid to say" what they really want to say, is, but its very nature, untruthful.

Anyway, I don't charge, for my own personal reasons, and that's that. I really don't care what others do or don't do.

And my point is that you said this:

Which suggests that a whole bunch of people (the vast majority in the thread) answered honestly that they don't charge, but that there are somehow some similar number who just happened to all be late to the party and would answer differently if not for all the "generous" folks tooting their own horns in "public statements" making them feel uncomfortable telling the truth. An answer skewed by someone "afraid to say" what they really want to say, is, but its very nature, untruthful.

Anyway, I don't charge, for my own personal reasons, and that's that. I really don't care what others do or don't do.
You are interpreting my statement to mean something it did not. I am not saying that people would have lied, I'm saying the responses are skewed because those people just plain don't answer. On the first page there is already someone making fun of the idea of charging people for the room.
It is likened to charging family who came over for Easter dinner per plate, and on the next page compared to having a friend come stay in your personal vacation home that is otherwise vacant. Look at the language people are using in those early responses for whether they charge. Those responses are going to make people feel like they are stingy if they do charge, They definitely made me feel that way.

It is not a statement against people who book people rooms for free. I have no issue with people doing that, it's great, But absolutely there are people who charge who would not want to say it in this post because It makes us sound bad.

I responded early in that I did charge my family, and honestly I deleted what I was posting before deciding to go back and actually post it because after reading so many people giving away free trips I kind of felt like a jerk.
There is absolutely no reason to feel like a jerk. You do what is right for you, and your friends and family. As I said, I don't charge...but at the same time, my family and friends do things for me all year long, we help each other when we can. Sometimes they help remodel a rental unit, sometimes they provide transportation to/from the airport, or pay for a weekend getaway to the coast that they don't charge me for. As I said, my dentist gave me free dentistry for a year after I treated his daughter...so it kind of like an even exchange or barter. And as I said, everyone pays their park tickets and transportation to/from Orlando. If you don't have that type of relationship with your friends and family, or if they don't live near enough to reciprocate in some other way, charging them makes perfect sense.

The OP asked what each of us did, and the posters responded. that is all.

There is absolutely no reason to feel like a jerk. You do what is right for you, and your friends and family. As I said, I don't charge...but at the same time, my family and friends do things for me all year long, we help each other when we can. Sometimes they help remodel a rental unit, sometimes they provide transportation to/from the airport, or pay for a weekend getaway to the coast that they don't charge me for. As I said, my dentist gave me free dentistry for a year after I treated his daughter...so it kind of like an even exchange or barter.

Which is kinda exactly what I said:

If it's family, then no charge. I figure it all balances out over a lifetime. For friends, it depends on the relationship: if it is one of my lifelong friends, then also a "no", as that usually balances out as well (we use one buddy's ski cabin every year, for example, and another does my taxes, etc.). Extended friends? Have never had anyone ask, or had any reason to offer, but it would probably depend on the circumstances.

I’m a new member and have booked my first 2 bedroom for this summer. We’ve invited a friend and said we would charge. That’s not to say I won’t charge friends/family in the future.

We do a lot of cabin/house rental trips and split it evenly amongst the group. Quite frankly I don’t see why a DVC room is any different.

We did offer to bring family friends and wouldn't have charged but they brought DW years ago and paid. For us I think it will really be case by case in the future though.

There is absolutely no reason to feel like a jerk. You do what is right for you, and your friends and family. As I said, I don't charge...but at the same time, my family and friends do things for me all year long, we help each other when we can. Sometimes they help remodel a rental unit, sometimes they provide transportation to/from the airport, or pay for a weekend getaway to the coast that they don't charge me for. As I said, my dentist gave me free dentistry for a year after I treated his daughter...so it kind of like an even exchange or barter. And as I said, everyone pays their park tickets and transportation to/from Orlando. If you don't have that type of relationship with your friends and family, or if they don't live near enough to reciprocate in some other way, charging them makes perfect sense.

The OP asked what each of us did, and the posters responded. that is all.
To be fair, I really wasn't trying to make a big deal out of this. I didn't think it was a big deal. I only commented more in the conversation because I was being called out.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter