Do you chew with your mouth open?

No I don't.. Isn't that one of the first things that parents teach their children?

That's why it bothers me so much. There is no excuse for it. (unless you do have a cold and your nose is clogged, but then you take smaller bites). I know the woman last night did not have a cold, because she was talking away...and when she wasn't talking or chewing, her lips were closed.

Anyway, glad to see I am not the only one married to an annoying eater. DH does not chew with his mouth open, he DOES talk with food in his mouth. It is beyond annoying. How can I be teaching the kids that this is wrong when he is constantly doing it? He will even yell at the kids with a mouth full of food. I have started ignoring him when he says something with food in his mouth. Much like I do with the kids. If you speak to me with food in your mouth, I can't hear you.

I hardly close my lips, it's just uncomfortable and unnatural to me. So naturally I eat with my mouth open, but I don't take big honking bites of food, and over exaggerate while eating. It's something I'm self conscious of as it is when I'm eating out or with any one else around. When I'm by myself, all rules are out the window...

I just laughed out loud Gracie.. I've never heard them called lip boogers:rotfl: I'm going to start using that now. I can't stand when people chew with their mouths open, but the worst is the smacking noise that usually accompanies the cows as they chew! My dad taught us early on by saying "quit chewing like a cow!" very sternly... Which would scare us to death! Btw, it also makes my hair stand up when people chew/chomp on their gum like a cow too!

I NEVER do! My children do and I'm on their case about it. I've been teaching them since birth to chew with their mouths closed and they need reminders at every single meal. I always tell them "Food tastes better when you chew with your mouth closed. It keeps all of the flavor in!"

People at work chew with their mouths open and talk with their mouths full. Tiny pieces of food fall onto the lunch table. It's a wonder I'm able to swallow. *shudder*

I tried it once, just to see what the big deal was. I hated it. My food got all cold, and there was so much air mixed in. It's natural to keep it closed! That's the way God intended!!

No, cant like it. Mouth open eating just freaks me the heck out. Anything else like the fork thing discussed doesnt bother me at all. Please close your mouth while you chew, I do not want to see.

I do not, but I have an uncle who does. He has breathing issues and cannot breathe through his nose very well so it's either chew with his mouth open or he can't eat.. That said, It's hard to eat around him.

This is me, I have a very difficult time breathing through my nose. It is very hard to eat with my mouth closed, but I do my best. Between bites I'm breathless! I'm SO self-conscious about eating around other people. DW is used to it and doesn't care but a girl I once dated told me I smack when I eat (I don't do it on purpose, I wonder if it has something to do with my breathing issues? I don't know) and never saw me again so I'm ridiculously self conscious and hate eating in public

This is me, I have a very difficult time breathing through my nose. It is very hard to eat with my mouth closed, but I do my best. Between bites I'm breathless! I'm SO self-conscious about eating around other people. DW is used to it and doesn't care but a girl I once dated told me I smack when I eat (I don't do it on purpose, I wonder if it has something to do with my breathing issues? I don't know) and never saw me again so I'm ridiculously self conscious and hate eating in public

A good ENT (ear nose and throat) doc can help with this issue. My husband sleeps better and breathes more quietly since having it done. And he COULD chew with his mouth closed, but apparently can't without constant reminders. :(

This is me as well. I have terrible allergies and I can't hold my breath long enough to eat sometimes. It's not all the time, but if the allergies are acting up on a bad day, it's either chew with my mouth open or not eat until maybe the next day when the allergens in the air are better. That certainly isn't going to happen.

A good ENT (ear nose and throat) doc can help with this issue. My husband sleeps better and breathes more quietly since having it done. And he COULD chew with his mouth closed, but apparently can't without constant reminders. :(
Some of us don't have thousands to spend on stuff like this.

This is me as well. I have terrible allergies and I can't hold my breath long enough to eat sometimes. It's not all the time, but if the allergies are acting up on a bad day, it's either chew with my mouth open or not eat until maybe the next day when the allergens in the air are better. That certainly isn't going to happen.

Some of us don't have thousands to spend on stuff like this.

I wish I did! I would LOVE to see an ENT. As a kid my doctor didn't think it was a big deal and prescribed me nasal spray that didn't help. I've kind of learned to deal with it and just try to hold my breath long enough to eat. I can't wait until the day I can afford good health insurance. I had lousy health insurance for years through my old job and now I don't have any.

Sure, if you are insured or have lots of money to spend on it. My father snores like a bear and COULD have the corrective surgery (has good insurance too) but the surgery is apparently VERY painful and he doesn't do pain very well, so not going to happen.

Some open mouthers are just clueless clods who are grossing out the world, and some have legitimate medical concerns (and still gross out the world I guess).

If I've got a stuffed up nose (far too frequently), I try to at least cover my mouth with my hand(s) if I can't chew with my mouth closed. Can't do anything about any sounds, but if you're sitting close enough to hear me chewing, you're probably sitting with me, and if you're dining with me I'd hope you'd be considerate of the fact that I've got a cold and can't help that.

Alot of things about people eating disgusts me :laughing:
People chewing with their mouth open, slurping soup, nose whistles when they're chewing, forks chinking on the plates or bowls...

Should I continue?

Alot of things about people eating disgusts me :laughing:
People chewing with their mouth open, slurping soup, nose whistles when they're chewing, forks chinking on the plates or bowls...

Should I continue?

:lmao: Me too! According to all those sci-fi movies back in the 70s we should be having complete meals in a a single pill by now. I'm still waiting. :mad:

DH hates it when people slurp or chew with their mouths open, he can hear it across the room. MIL is the worst offender, she slurps, smacks, chews with her mouth open and and actually gets little chunks of food to fly out while she is talking. I ALWAYS make DH sit across from her when we eat. Sit across from your mom you haven't seen each other in ages...and then I giggle the whole time. When we are at home she comes up behind him and chews in his ear and stands over his shoulder to see what he is eating. I nearly pee myself because I can see the vein bulging.
Also, MIL is responsible for my pet peeve, eating over food. I used to put food like salsa and dips at edge of table but MIL pulls up a chair and eats over serving bowls so others actually have to reach around her to get and food, not that they want to with spittle food flying and chips dropping back in salsa from her mouth. I get her own bowl so she can relax away from common food, after 13 years, why doesn't she get the hint?
She recently added the occasional crotch scratching to her meal routine, I guess she thinks we don't notice but now I have to get her her own chips too.

no I don't, but dd13 does. She was born a mouth-breather. It was great when she was a tiny baby and had colds (most babies, when their noses are stuffed, have trouble since they are NOT mouth breathers). But it's awful now when she is dancing (has to concentrate on only having her mouth open a little bit) or eating. I really wish the ENTs we saw were willing to remove her giant adenoids, but they aren't.

ETA: my mom also chews with her mouth open (and makes more noise than dd) but she had a terrible attack of, I guess, Bells Palsy about 6 years or so ago. She was hospitalized since at the same time a vestibular nerve or something was affected, so vertigo made her terribly ill. She could not drink from a cup (had to use straws, although they told her straws weren't safe). Her face drooped terribly on one side for a long time, and it still isn't matching the other side. Her eye waters out of control sometimes, her smile doesn't quite go up on that side, etc. But she can eat and drink whatever she wants now...just with her mouth not closing, and definitely makes some smacking noises. While it's a pet peeve of mine too, I feel bad for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter