• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you display US flags or have red, white and blue out?

Thats interesting, we kinda have the same here at Christmas in the last 20 years. Decorating houses for Christmas was never really a thing in Ireland but each year now more and more houses are decorated and its getting more elaborate. You can defiantly see where X house is the first to put up the Christmas lights and how they decorate and then a week or so later other houses have a similar design
Wow, that's so interesting! I've also heard about our style of celebrating Halloween seeping into other cultures, with Trick or Treating and all. We definitely have neighborhoods around here where everyone starts trying to one-up each other on the Christmas decorations. I don't have the energy for anything like that, but I love driving around during the week of Christmas and looking at the lights in those neighborhoods.

The OP didn't say he or she knew the people. What he or she said was that because they flew the flag he/she didn't want to associate with them.

No, the PP didn’t say that - you inferred it.

The PP said:

Nope, I don’t fly an American flag at my house. The people around me that fly American (and confederate) flags aren’t people I want to be associated with.

You inferred that it meant that the PP didn’t like them *because* of the flag but that was not said. It could be that or it could be two separate things - these are people the PP doesn’t like for a variety of reasons (maybe including flag flying or maybe not including flag flying).

Being mindful of Disboard rules and not to take this thread off track. I'm curious as to why people fly the flags. We don't have this tradition and I like learning about the customs and traditions in other countries :)

• Family tradition - your parents and family members did, so its something you just keep going in your own house
  • Your parents and family members did not fly a flag but you want to for your own personal reasons (which Im not asking about, as I know its very derisive)
  • The house you live in came with a flag pole so you thought it would be a nice thing to do
  • Most of the neighbours do and you like the way the neighbourhood looks with all the houses decorated.
A lot of people fly the flag if they are military or have had military service members in their family. Some only fly it on holidays and others all year round. The tradition goes back to the Revolution to show who was a patriot and who was a loyalist. It was a symbol of unity during the civil war for Union states and was seen as a symbol of support for the troops in WW1 and WW2. During Cold War 1, it was a symbol of democracy in the fight against communism. The tradition of flying the flag goes way back, it unfortunately has become a divisive issue over the last couple of years (but we can’t talk about that here). The confederate flag is a separate issue as most people (including me), will tell you it has no place in society except in a CW museum (the history and its purpose can be looked up online).

Black Lives Matter is a decentralized political movement, not a single organization. Lots of organizations make Black Lives Matter signs (I don't recall seeing flags). Additionally, those who display the phrase "Black Lives Matter" also believe that every life matters, but they think a reminder about Black lives in specific is important, because of the additional stressors that Black people face in society.

There are flags in my area. I will make no further comment about this other than we will have to agree to disagree.
Being mindful of Disboard rules and not to take this thread off track. I'm curious as to why people fly the flags. We don't have this tradition and I like learning about the customs and traditions in other countries :)

• Family tradition - your parents and family members did, so its something you just keep going in your own house
  • Your parents and family members did not fly a flag but you want to for your own personal reasons (which Im not asking about, as I know its very derisive)
  • The house you live in came with a flag pole so you thought it would be a nice thing to do
  • Most of the neighbours do and you like the way the neighbourhood looks with all the houses decorated.

As I stated above some of the reasons I fly the flag is because I'm proud to be an American, I feel blessed to have been born in this country that allows each of us the right to express our opinions. So many men and women have given so much, their lives or lost limbs or just given years of their life to give us the many freedoms we all enjoy in this country, that is the reason I fly my flag.

Ms.Minnie said:
The OP didn't say he or she knew the people. What he or she said was that because they flew the flag he/she didn't want to associate with them.

The PP said:

You inferred that it meant that the PP didn’t like them *because* of the flag but that was not said. It could be that or it could be two separate things - these are people the PP doesn’t like for a variety of reasons (maybe including flag flying or maybe not including flag flying).

No he said exactly this "The people around me that fly American (and confederate) flags aren’t people I want to be associated with. There is no inferring on my part. I'm only repeating what the poster said, nothing more, nothing less. You can interpret any way you want but that's how I understand his/her comment.

No he said exactly this "The people around me that fly American (and confederate) flags aren’t people I want to be associated with. There is no inferring on my part. I'm only repeating what the poster said, nothing more, nothing less. You can interpret any way you want but that's how I understand his/her comment.
I must be missing it (again) so can you please show me where the word BECAUSE is in the quote from the PP? You use it, the PP doesn't. You are not "only repeating what the poster said". Unless, as I said, I am missing the word "because" in the original.

Yes. We put flags up on the front porch, back porch, mailbox, garage, and we have a large flagpole in the front yard as well to fly one higher. We fly them all year long because despite our country’s many failings we still live in the greatest country on earth. On Memorial Day we add small flags in the yard. We hang a state flag and a Christian flag on our yard flagpole as well, underneath the US flag

I must be missing it (again) so can you please show me where the word BECAUSE is in the quote from the PP? You use it, the PP doesn't. You are not "only repeating what the poster said". Unless, as I said, I am missing the word "because" in the original.

OK so why doesn't he/she not want to associate with them? They fly flag, he/she doesn't want to associate with them. What else does that mean? Are you splitting hairs here?

Patriotism..some people love this country… I know that’s shocking to some people, but even the haters won’t leave.

I feel pretty blessed to have been born here. I fly a flag on certain holidays to honor the military. It seems like the right thing to do.

Happy 4th everyone.

The PP said:

So the person doesn’t fly an American flag because he doesn’t want to be associated with neighbors that fly American flags. That would be like me not putting up a Christmas tree because the neighbors that I don’t like put up a Christmas tree. It makes zero sense.

I would interpret the statement as he doesn’t like what the flag stands for…totally within his right…. It is a free country after all.

So the person doesn’t fly an American flag because he doesn’t want to be associated with neighbors that fly American flags. That would be like me not putting up a Christmas tree because the neighbors that I don’t like put up a Christmas tree. It makes zero sense.

I would interpret the statement as he doesn’t like what the flag stands for…totally within his right…. It is a free country after all.
Good point...we're still fortunate choose to fly the flag, or not. Hopefully that won't change.

Yes. We put flags up on the front porch, back porch, mailbox, garage, and we have a large flagpole in the front yard as well to fly one higher. We fly them all year long because despite our country’s many failings we still live in the greatest country on earth. On Memorial Day we add small flags in the yard. We hang a state flag and a Christian flag on our yard flagpole as well, underneath the US flag

Amen.

Our American Flag is flying proudly today!

Never home. I am in Washington DC this weekend, so there is that, but since I am on the road for work over 300 days a year, don't do anything at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter