Do you enjoy going to the grocery store?

disykat

This person totally gets me
This came up in another thread and I thought it might be fun to discuss.

I actually enjoy going to the grocery store if it's not too crowded. (I do not like shopping the week before Thanksgiving, etc.!) While I do get tired of the regular shopping, it's more about forcing myself to do some planning, actually go, and the unpacking and putting away that I tire of. I enjoy the walking up and down the aisles looking for things part.

We actually like it when we have to get groceries of any kind on a vacation because we enjoy seeing what is different. Especially if we go to a foreign country, we HAVE to check out a grocery store. Since we live in suburbia, I also find big city and/or small town grocery stores interesting.

How about you?

Nope. Hate it. I joined yearly Instacart a few years ago when it first became available in my area. I try to avoid going inside a grocery if at all possible.

I find grocery stores overwhelming. There’s too much food, too much color, the lights are too bright. I’m neurotypical as far as I know but grocery stores are sensory overload in every way. I also have a strong and irrational dislike of shopping carts/trolleys/buggies; they’re cumbersome and impossible to organize and weird to maneuver at the til (at least in my stores you have to pull the buggy behind you to unload but then push it past you so they can put the bag back in ugh.

If you are talking about a boring grocery store like Safeway, no. If you are talking about shopping for groceries at Pike Place Market in Seattle. Yes. I love shopping there. DeLaurenti (Italian), Market Spice (Spices), Pike & Western (Wines), Sosios (Produce), Pure Food Fish (Seafood), and La Panier (Bakery)... Then yes I love shopping.

I don’t enjoy shopping. I do most of my non perishable grocery shopping online, using a supermarket delivery service and at Costco and then buy meat, fish and perishable items from a local farm shop. Grocery shopping just seems like a waste of a morning.

We actually like it when we have to get groceries of any kind on a vacation because we enjoy seeing what is different. Especially if we go to a foreign country, we HAVE to check out a grocery store. Since we live in suburbia, I also find big city and/or small town grocery stores interesting.

i enjoy doing this as well! i had a blast the last time we were in b.c. in some of the very small markets and specialty shops (true butcher shops :lovestruc ).

If you are talking about a boring grocery store like Safeway, no. If you are talking about shopping for groceries at Pike Place Market in Seattle. Yes. I love shopping there. DeLaurenti (Italian), Market Spice (Spices), Pike & Western (Wines), Sosios (Produce), Pure Food Fish (Seafood), and La Panier (Bakery)... Then yes I love shopping.

We are neighbors! My dad was a bit of a foodie. One time when he came to visit we actually made a day of it, walking on/off the ferry and around with a cooler, to go to the market then home to make dinner. Nice memory. We'll have to do it again some time - on a week day when it's not too crowded!

Facebook just decided I wanted to see the article "45 American Products That Look Totally Different in Other Countries." They were right. Always kind of freaks me out that Facebook is spying on my DIS posts!

BTW - they said "Hellman's" mayonnaise is called "Best Foods" in other countries. Yeah, there and everywhere in the US I've lived too! No Hellman's in the PNW. It's weird to see the same labels with different names in different areas.

Last edited:
Well, I like to eat and grocery shopping takes less time than cutting the lawn. So I guess I am neutral.

I enjoy it. I do most of our grocery shopping at Trader Joe’s and they always have new stuff, especially around this time of year, so it’s fun to see what they have.

I also like grocery shopping in other countries and seeing how different things are. I especially loved it when I was living in Tokyo since they always had such interesting snacks and drinks.

If the store is off the hook, no. I hate ignorant people. But other than that, its a fun little adventure for like an hour.

As a chef, I love going to the grocery store. It can be really therapeutic for me. Also, I love going to grocery stores when traveling to different places around the world. Often times, when you're a tourist, you see the touristy sites and check off the big landmarks but I love spending time in regular grocery stores and supermarkets to get a feel for how people in that city/country really live on a day-to-day basis.

:goodvibes From the time I was a little kid, I've always loved it. My Ddad did all our shopping and I wasn't very old before he was taking me along to help and I could easily choose a week's worth of groceries by the time I was 10. It was made extra-fun by the fact that I had no concept of a budget, value for the dollar or how things got paid for. :laughing: Oh to be young again...

When I was a housewife and SAHM, grocery shopping was something I really looked forward to, especially the bi-weekly "big shops". Now that my routine includes a 50-hour work week, sadly it's just another chore to fit in and I mostly just hit-and-run my neighbourhood grocer on my way home at night to grab a few things to throw supper on.

I'm 71 and enjoy shopping at any of the 4 Publix, 2 Winn Dixie, Richard's Whole Foods or Walmart that are all within 5 bicycling miles from home.

p.s. -- It was even more enjoyable bicycling to Walmart at 2AM to 6AM when it was open 24hrs. pre COVID 19.

Funny I ran into a friend yesterday while out walkng and she complained on how she had to go grocery shopping that day and she would rather clean her house 3x over than go grocery shopping.. I was like serioulsly?!
I actually enjoy grocery shopping if I make it a weekly event and give myself time. Running into the store to grab a thing or two is for me not grocery shopping. What annoys me though is putting the stuff away when I get home, as we lack cabinet space and its a struggle to get everything put away.

and yes! Like OP, I always make a point to hit foreign grocery stores. I usually buy tons of stuff I dont need too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter